RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medicus matt - 09-22-2010

Quote:I plan to rent it anyway, I am a fool for movies which feature combat with sharp and pointy things. Big Grin

Even the combat was toned down. There was loads of claret flying around during the shooting but most of it appears to have been CGI'd away.

Rent Centurion instead. Regardless of any critcism which can be levelled at it in terms of accuracy, it has some pretty good examples of edged weapons being used.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-22-2010

Quote:
Dithrambus:3hnfa8it Wrote:I plan to rent it anyway, I am a fool for movies which feature combat with sharp and pointy things. Big Grin

Even the combat was toned down. There was loads of claret flying around during the shooting but most of it appears to have been CGI'd away.

Rent Centurion instead. Regardless of any critcism which can be levelled at it in terms of accuracy, it has some pretty good examples of edged weapons being used.

Centurion has proven to be elusive, Blockbuster does not stock it, Red Box neither and Netflix simply states: availability unkown. :?

I guess I'll settle for Robin Hood, at least for the time being. :|

Edit: Centurion will be released for purchase/rental in the U.S. on Nov. 2

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 09-22-2010

Got my Director's Cut version of Robin Hood from Amazon...started to watch it last night and have to admit to stopping it after about forty minutes as I was bored with it. Russell Crowe's accent began to bug me, and as has been said, it just doesn't spark. Sad

Re: The last film you watched.... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 09-22-2010

Just saw the TV adaptation of Spartacus again and i have always liked this version, especially because of the underlying politics, Crassus crazy state, Agrippa's last act and Caesar and Pompeys tricks.... ok it is not the best or most historically accurate depiction, but nontheless very entertaining.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361240/

M.VIB.M.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Phaichtos - 09-24-2010

Quote:
Dithrambus:n8u45znp Wrote:I plan to rent it anyway, I am a fool for movies which feature combat with sharp and pointy things. Big Grin

I second this Big Grin

Anyone having trouble renting it, you can always "rent" it on Amazon.com Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 09-24-2010

Centurion is being released on Blu-ray November 2nd, for those who can wait ...

http://www.amazon.com/Centurion-Blu-ray ... item-added

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Olaf - 09-24-2010

Just watched the second part of the 280 minutes GB Blue Ray release of John Woos Red Cliff.
Though I did like the screenplay and camera angles it seems that the chinese just can not, or maybe dont even want to, get the mass battles quite as gritty and realistic as Korean or Japanese movie makers.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-25-2010

Quote:Got my Director's Cut version of Robin Hood from Amazon...started to watch it last night and have to admit to stopping it after about forty minutes as I was bored with it. Russell Crowe's accent began to bug me, and as has been said, it just doesn't spark. Sad

I burned one of my free movie rentals from Blockbuster to see Robin Hood, your right Vindex, about 40 minutes in is about as far as the film can carry the viewer, had to force myself to finish it. The elements for a good film were present, but it just dose'nt work (or rather spark, as Vindex put it). I am really glad that I did not spend a small fortune at the theatre on this one.

And yes Paullus, those were some interesting landing craft used by the French in the final battle scene, I am curious, does anyone know of any such craft in use in the 12th century? :?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 10-03-2010

My son and I rented Iron Man 2 this weekend, frankly I thought the first one was better.

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 10-04-2010

Quote:My son and I rented Iron Man 2 this weekend, frankly I thought the first one was better.
Agreed. I was so bored with Iron Man 2. Being former military, I was distracted by Lt Col Rhoades...first of all, being completely in charge of a program such as Iron Man...usually, that would fall to a Colonel or higher. Then, he's free to just gallivant about the country unsupervised? I mean, is he on leave, or does he have orders to do all he did in the film? I know, I'm thinking too much into it. But I was an Air Force officer myself, and I know that there were very specific requirements regarding what rank one has to be in order to be in charge of certain things, and then due to accountability concerns, you have to be on orders to run about the country the way Lt Col Rhoades did. :roll:

I'll get off my soapbox for now...sorry. Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 10-04-2010

At the cinema: The Social Network

An amusing film with a very literate and witty script that makes interesting what otherwise might have been rather tedious at best. Performances are uniformly good.

The real question: Was Zuckerberg, the creator of Face Book, really this big of an ass hole?

The two major female characters seemed to have his measure.

At the beginning of the film we see Zuckerberg and his girlfriend, Erica, calling it quits. She remarks to him, "You'll go trough life thinking girls dislike you because you are a nerd. But is reality it's because you're an asshole." (I'm paraphrasing.)

At the end, a young lawyer, who advises him to avoid a jury trial and settle, departs with this final observation, "You're not an asshole Mark, but you're trying hard to be one."

In the end it would seem that both Face Book and Zuckerberg's rise to fame and fortune are predicated upon unrequited love. He can not understand the why, or accept the reality, of Erica breaking up with him.

Erica as Helen of Troy? Erica, the woman that launched a thousand members (now 500 million) that is Face Book? Or Face Book as a Trojan Horse -- a social network site that in reality is Mark's attempt to win back Erica?

Probably not -- but it is a rather funny film and worth the matinee price.

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Graham Sumner - 10-04-2010

Quote:Just saw the TV adaptation of Spartacus again and i have always liked this version, especially because of the underlying politics, Crassus crazy state, Agrippa's last act and Caesar and Pompeys tricks.... ok it is not the best or most historically accurate depiction, but nontheless very entertaining.

Spoilers ahead

Totally agree with you there Henk. In terms of accuracy of the storyline this version is streets ahead of the famous Kirk Douglas film. However it does not begin well with Pompey's war against the Gauls in Spain but after that it pretty much follows everything we know about Spartacus. I like the fact that their is no brotherhood of Slaves, they fall out, they even murder Roman civilians in cold blood. The Slave army divides under Crixus and is defeated piecemeal. Even the wall of Crassus across the toe of Italy is depicted and the method we are told by how the Slaves get through.

Where the film falls down is in the scenes which replay those from the previous film, such as the dialogues between the Lanista Batiavus and his connection in the Senate this time 'Agrippa' not 'Gracchus'. You simply can not beat Peter Ustinov and Charles Laughton in those. Plus the usual lack of understanding of Roman tactics, woeful armour and some poor sets (Roman cities look like hill forts) and costumes.

For some reason the pronunciation of many of the names is different from what I am used to but I need a Latin scholar to tell me which is correct. :oops:

eg.
Batiatus. = Bat..ee.. at..us, or Bat.. eye.. at.. us ?

Spartacus.= Sparta..coose, or Sparta..cuss?

Quote:And yes Paullus, those were some interesting landing craft used by the French in the final battle scene, I am curious, does anyone know of any such craft in use in the 12th century?

Indeed, all that was missing was the machine powered arrow shooter mowing them down!!! Big Grin I guess they just beached ships in those days and jumped out?
Graham.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 10-04-2010

As I remember the TV Spartacus (and dimly I will admit) at one point it looks as though the Romans are using metal trash can lids as shields the same way we used to do as kids.

You are quite right Graham, Ustinov and Laughton are tough to beat, plus Olivier ...

According to the book George Lucas's Blockbusting:

"It irked Charles Laughton that rival Laurence Olivier's salary was five times his own. The competition between the two actors became so fierce that Olivier required someone else to feed him his lines."

"Kubrick himself never thought of Spartacus as part of his oeuvre, since he hadn't seen it through from conception." However... "He insisted on a brutal realism in the war scenes and persuaded Douglas to add the final battle between the Romans and the slaves. The panoramic shots of the approaching Roman army too Kubrick a full week to shoot with the Spanish military."
--George Lucas's Blockbusting, c2010, ISBN: 978-0-06-177889-6, p443.

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - arklore70 - 10-04-2010

Saw Robin Hood
God Aweful does not due it justice in description.

Bad acting, bad script, bad kit, and hisorically inaccurate.

A few examples:

Maid Marion learning in a few days to wear full plate mail armor and fighting on horsback better than any fully trained knight out there.

400+yard point shot by Robin after his bow was soaked in sea water

French invading England in 1199/1200 with boats the look very much like the landing craft used in D-Day, except these ones had oars.

King John burning the Mgna Carta-in public.

This was a film that I watched to see just how bad it could get/be and it did not dissappoint.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 10-05-2010

Quote:Saw Robin Hood
God Aweful does not due it justice in description.

Bad acting, bad script, bad kit, and hisorically inaccurate.

A hollywood movie? Say it isn't so! Confusedhock: :wink:

Producers should go on strike for better writers... 8)