RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 08-29-2010

Terminator:Salvation

I waited in vain for the "Batman" voice. :lol:
Overall I liked it. From beginning to end it was enjoyable and well done if not a little transparent. I still prefer 1 & 2 but the sequels never really disappointed me in this series. Unlike so many others...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 08-30-2010

Quote:
Dithrambus:lczl2re5 Wrote:I had the same notion concerning Brad Pitt as Achilles, he is actually very convincing (IMO) and possibly the best of the characters in the film.

Okay, I will give Brad Pitt as Achilles a chance. I'm pretty sure I'll end up liking the movie, but if not, it's only a couple of hours of my life. Big Grin

I would be interested to hear what you thought of it, Troy is the only 'sword and sandal' film that my wife has watched with me. (I think it's because of Brad Pitt) :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 08-30-2010

Try the Shakespeare Julius Caesar, the old one with Charlton Heston as Marcus Antonius. You'll be greatly surprised, and if your lady likes the Classics, she'll be astonished. For a change, it's an unpretentious production.

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 08-31-2010

Quote:Try the Shakespeare Julius Caesar, the old one with Charlton Heston as Marcus Antonius. You'll be greatly surprised, and if your lady likes the Classics, she'll be astonished. For a change, it's an unpretentious production.

I already have the Shakespeare version of Julius Caesar in my Netflix queue, but I didn't realize Charlton Heston played Mark Antony! Can't wait to see Heston's portrayal...he's always been one of my favorite actors.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 09-01-2010

It's pretty old, not the more modern version, but probably the best "straight" Shakespearean movie I've ever seen. Non-stilted dialog, good performances by many, and the casting is simply excellent, I thought.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Graham Sumner - 09-01-2010

Hi

Yes, Charlton Heston actually played Antony twice in 'Julius Caesar', both versions available on DVD. The first was an amateur film made in B&W around 1953 with Heston as a young man pre Ben-Hur. The second was made well after the fashion for epics in 1969. The low budget shows but there are some good external scenes filmed on location at the old stomping ground of the Samuel Bronston studios up in the hills above Madrid. The setting for films like 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' and 'King of Kings'. The film is well cast apart from a monotone performance by Jason Robards who ruins virtually every scene he is in and the awful costumes which Heston to his credit complained about.

Graham.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 09-15-2010

At the Cinema: The American

Very bleak and downbeat which, in this case, are assets. George Clooney always gives an interesting performance and here he begins to play a little bit outside of his normal zone, though admittedly it is not much of a stretch.

This film will work just as well on TV as on a big screen so you could wait until it hits Blu-ray or cable, however, by seeing it in an actual theatre your ticket purchase tells Hollywood that there really is a market for films aimed at adults.

A film in a minor key to be sure, but well worth my $6 ticket.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-15-2010

Quote:At the Cinema: The American

Very bleak and downbeat which, in this case, are assets. George Clooney always gives an interesting performance and here he begins to play a little bit outside of his normal zone, though admittedly it is not much of a stretch.

This film will work just as well on TV as on a big screen so you could wait until it hits Blu-ray or cable, however, by seeing it in an actual theatre your ticket purchase tells Hollywood that there really is a market for films aimed at adults.

A film in a minor key to be sure, but well worth my $6 ticket.

Narukami

$6.00? wow, the ticket prices at a theatre in Chattanooga are $9.00 for an adult and $7.50 for a child.

Rented 'Date Night' recently and it was a disapointment, Tina Fey and Steve Carrell just did not seem to have any chemistry between them, I have enjoyed each in other films and TV shows, but the pairing just did'nt work in this film (IMHO). Thank goodness for Redbox as I am only out $1.00 :|

Here too, but I always try for the Matinee and avoid 3D not only as a matter of price ($15-18) but also of principle.

Then too, if we hit an early enough show we can go to lunch afterwards and discuss what we were just subjected to, particularly the Trailers.

The trend out of Hollywood for the end of this year into next: Alien Invasion.

H.G. Wells lives on.

Narukami

Ah, matinee. Where's the headslap smilie?

The alien invasion film 'Skyline' looks like it may be promising.

Yes, Skyline does look interesting, although there is some controversy about that film.

It seems that the two film makers behind Skyline were also working on Sony's new Alien Invasion film, Battle Los Angeles, and now Sony (Columbia) is accusing them of stealing ideas, etc. Sony is particularly upset because Skyline will open several months before Battle Los Angeles.

Of course, in Hollywood any publicity is good publicity and no doubt both parties will reach a mutually beneficial agreement soon enough.

Also on the horizon is Battleship (based on the Hasbro game but with Aliens) however, of more interest, and looking like it may be a District 9 style sleeper hit is Monsters. Set in Mexico after a NASA probe crash lands with alien life forms on it, our "heros" must make their way through the Infected Zone. The aliens are somewhat reminiscent of the monsters in the film The Mist, but the tone of Monsters is much more interesting.

No doubt there are still more Alien Invasion films in the works. Roger Corman must have something cooking ...

If only H.G. Wells got a royalty every time Hollywood used his template. His War of the Worlds has never been out of print -- pretty good for a Sci-Fi novel written in 1897.

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 09-16-2010

I recently watched in theaters 2 films; Machete & Resident Evil:Aftermath
Both were were okay... not the greatest on plot but good enough to own on DVD

Besides I have always had this thing for Millia Jovovich since:
[attachment=1:ttogk98p]<!-- ia1 Leeloo.jpeg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:ttogk98p]

And Jessica Alba since:
[attachment=0:ttogk98p]<!-- ia0 Dark-Angel-tv-09.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:ttogk98p]

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 09-19-2010

The Fifth Element is a lot of fun. It should have won the Oscar for Costume Design, but was not even nominated. :?

I wish I could say I had seen something at the cinema, but of late, noting has intrigued me enough to entice or compel me to the theatre. Cry

:|
Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ron Andrea - 09-19-2010

Quote:I wish I could say I had seen something at the cinema, but of late, noting has intrigued me enough to entice or compel me to the theatre. Cry

:|
Narukami

I agree. The last fun movie we've seen was UP. :wink: