RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 07-07-2010

Did you put your hand over your heart when you mentioned The Duke? (Sergeant at arms, keep an eye on that guy over there....)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 07-15-2010

Me and Orson Welles. Value for money: a good movie, predictable story, very good soundtrack, fine acting.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 07-18-2010

Today at the Cinema: Inception

This year has been rather lack-luster for films, with few original ideas or even well done sequels / re-boots / TV into Feature Film / etc. etc. etc.

However...

Without a doubt Inception is the most interesting film I have seen this year.

The idea of invading someone's dreams is, of course, not a new story concept in Hollywood, (Dreamscape comes readily to mind) but this is by far the best treatment of the subject.

It would be difficult to talk about the plot without reveling too many spoilers -- suffice to say that as with Nolan's earlier film, The Prestige, the question here too is "Are you watching closely?" Or, perhaps more to the point: "Just who's dream are you really in?"

The Art Direction and Cinematography are excellent, and the cast is uniformly good. I particularly enjoyed Watanabe Ken's restrained performance which makes for a nice counter point to the more frenzied turns by several of the other cast members.

It seems certain that some will find this film confusing or too cerebral or just too .... And yes, there are echoes of other recent DiCaprio films including Shutter Island and The Departed.

That said, this was a great way to spend a hot afternoon, 2.5 hours in a cool theatre having my mind put through the numbers by a master story teller. As one young women leaving the theatre said, "Usually I don't have to think in movies, but this one had me thinking all the time." Nice for a change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XzUYd6nrU

Inception
Warner Brothers / Legendary Films
Running Time: 148 minutes
Rated: PG-13
(There is lots of action--explosions, gun battles, chases, but I doubt little kids will understand or appreciate the story)

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Lindsay_Powell - 07-18-2010

I watched The Red Baron (2008) on Netflix: an enjoyable period-piece film directed by Nikolai Müllerschön, but in my opinion film flawed by German actors having to speak in English - why could the producer's not just make this a German language film with subtitles? It received mixed reviewd on both sides of the Pond.

I'm now part way through North Face (Nordwand, 2008) directed by Philipp Stölzl. In 1936 two German climbers compete against a rival Austrian duo to be the first team to scale the infamous north face of the Eiger in the Swiss Alps. Based on a true story. It was very well received.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 07-19-2010

The Fourth Kind. Not sure what to think of it, a mix of allegedly real documentary and reenactment/acting. Sumerian? Ok, if they say so. Deals with the topic of people abducted by aliens, so it's already out on the fringe. But -- :?:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 07-20-2010

At the cinema: Predators

This film essentially ignores all of the other Predator and AvP films, seeing itself as a direct sequel to the first film, Predator. Nothing wrong with that approach (and after Alien Vs Predator Requiem a very smart move). However, like many sequels this new films finds itself following and re-staging many of the set pieces from the first film.

There is some new information here for those who are aficionados of this franchise and the film can stand on its one for those who have never seen any of the previous films.

Technically the film looks good and generally the acting is OK. Lawrence Fishburn does a nice turn as a survivor who is just a "little" crazy, and Adrian Brody is effective as a "super commando" mercenary. Without giving too much away, I will say that the character played by Topher Grace makes no dramatic sense and I have no idea why the Predators selected him except perhaps as a 'Wild Card.' On the other hand I did enjoy the yakuza Honzo played by Louis Ozawa Changchien. His duel with a predator is a lot of fun.

This is a film for a hot summer afternoon --if the air con is cold, the popcorn warm and the film in focus then the audience has been well served. Those looking for art, or even something new, should "Move along -- there is nothing to see here."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y

Predators
Released by 20th Century Fox
Running Time: 107 minutes
Rated: R

Re: The last film you watched.... - Goffredo - 07-24-2010

Just got finished watching the old black-and-white "The day the Earth stood still". Great, very great movie.

"GORT, Klaatu barada Nikto!"

Re: The last film you watched.... - Redguru - 07-24-2010

Quote:Just got finished watching the old black-and-white "The day the Earth stood still". Great, very great movie.

I still think Bruce Campbell says it better in "Army of Darkness". Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 07-24-2010

Last time at the theatre: 'Clash of the Titans' remake. Took my 11 year old son and spent a small fortune to see a really bad adaptation, one must wonder if the producers are even remotely familliar with the mythological tales of Perseus, I should give Hollywood some credit though as this is a film that you can let your children watch, my son enjoyed it and has already requested the DVD which will be released this Tuesday (more money to spend on this movie? Sad )

Last DVD: Book of Eli, not bad, but the film could have been better, interesting plot but I do not wish to spoil it for those who have not seen the movie yet.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 07-24-2010

The Last Airbender

For being an adaptation of a nickelodeon cartoon this was good. The effects weren't cheesy and that is what I was worried about most. The characters were (overall) believable and the storyline wasn't too chopped up. Acting=decent, martial arts=decent, and story=well done. Also you can watch this with the kids.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 07-24-2010

Quote:Just got finished watching the old black-and-white "The day the Earth stood still". Great, very great movie.

The original is a lot of fun -- a very well done film.

Besides being used in Army Of Darkness, in Return Of The Jedi Lucas named the guards on Jabba the Hutt's sail barge, Klaatu, Barada and Nikto. Just another of his inside jokes.

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2jabbasskiffguards.asp

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 07-25-2010

Well, ok, I admit it, I'm a softie. Despicable Me.

Very good, surprisingly, sophisticated humor, and kid humor, good story line and character development, kinda sentimental. I liked it a lot. Saw it with my wife. I'd certainly suggest the 3D version (we saw it that way). A little predictable, but with a minion of good supporting actors, what's not to like? Take a break from the real world and see it. Fun stuff...the evil side of The Incredibles, sort of, with a happy ending.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 07-25-2010

Rented 'The Crazies' last night, thank goodness for redbox, I am only out one dollar! :wink: Of course, I will not get back the one hour and forty minutes of my life that I wasted on this film. :roll: Very predictable fare, the government loses a biological weapon and is forced to nuke a small midwest town. Feeling a bit 'crazy' myself for having watched it! :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 07-28-2010

Rented the newish "Get Smart" from the library. Funny...VERY funny! :lol: It has Anne Hathaway in it and Zod (Terence Stamp)!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 07-28-2010

Still trying to understand Valhalla Rising! Anyone give me any clues???