RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 05-25-2010

Was it worse than Starship Troopers 1? If it was "I am very sorry!!!" :lol: Cry

I almost liked the first one and then I watched it. That changed my mind!!! :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Robert Vermaat - 05-25-2010

Quote:Starship Troopers 2. Please don't waste your time. I don't get it. They know bullets are not effective, but fire is. So they use fifty thousand rounds of bullets, and zero flamethrowers. Sigh.
I thought they had the critters beaten at the end of movie I, right? Or.. let me guess.. someone thought that as the first one was received OK, they might make a sequel - but not based on the original book? That would do it.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 05-25-2010

Enter the Matrix :x

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 05-25-2010

Quote:
M. Demetrius:3qy8b1ia Wrote:Starship Troopers 2. Please don't waste your time. I don't get it. They know bullets are not effective, but fire is. So they use fifty thousand rounds of bullets, and zero flamethrowers. Sigh.
I thought they had the critters beaten at the end of movie I, right? Or.. let me guess.. someone thought that as the first one was received OK, they might make a sequel - but not based on the original book? That would do it.

Exactly so, after all -- That is the Hollywood Way.

I do think the film improved on the book in two important ways.

First, the more varied and interesting development of the bugs made for a better story. (I wish someone would do a mod and add the new Bugs into the old Avalon Hill game of Star Ship Troopers.)

And Second, that shower scene works ... every time. Confusedhock:

Otherwise the film is forgettable.

:wink: :roll:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 05-26-2010

Quote:And Second, that shower scene works ... every time
:lol: :oops: Yeah, the blonde zombiebuggirl was pretty cute.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 05-30-2010

Not a film but I just had to share it.
[url:1ss4r1j1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYws8biwOYc[/url]
AWESOME!!!
Dude knows his Fresh Prince and tells it like it is. I can respect that.

Passing thought:"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" as a period Piece set in Rome at the time of Julius Caesar's death and following until the reign of Augustus. Confusedhock: Priceless! :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 06-01-2010

attack of the crab monsters - from 1957, and directed by Roger Corman.

enjoyable b-movie :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 06-03-2010

Agora. The theme, the ugliness of religious bigotry and hatred, is sympathetic, acting is fine, but it was completely over the top.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-03-2010

In the middle of Alexander, again.....nothing new, still the same as the last time I saw it...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Paullus Scipio - 06-04-2010

Quote:Agora. The theme, the ugliness of religious bigotry and hatred, is sympathetic, acting is fine, but it was completely over the top.
...must say, from all written here "Agora" sounds like an interesting film about an interesting subject, and one I should like to see. Why do you say it is 'completely' over the top? Because of the usual film-makers warping of history? Exaggeration of the dichotomy?.....

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 06-04-2010

Quote:Because of the usual film-makers warping of history? Exaggeration of the dichotomy?.....
They really tried to present history as it must have been. OK, there are exceptionally ridiculous Roman soldiers and Synesius -who was never a really devout Christian- is presented inocrrectly, but that's not really important; it's a movie, and sometimes you must adapt things. Nor can it be said that the dichotomy between science and religious life/intolerance was too black-white. Hypatia insults a slave and you understand how men must have felt offended; on the same time, you can understand why those believers became less and less tolerant. Finally, it is simply untrue that the Christians are the bad guys, although some of them certainly are; but the ones who use violence first are -historically correct- the pagans, and the final catastrophe is introduced by Jewish excess violence.

No, the problem is that all subtlety is gone. At some point, shortly before the end of the movie, Hypatia makes an important scientific discovery. The way it is presented, with the music becoming pathetic and loud, is completely unconvincing. I do not know what it is, but movie makers always exaggerate. Compare that Gaugamela scene in Oliver Stone's Alexander. If only the music and that silly eagle would have been absent, it might have been a lot better.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Paullus Scipio - 06-04-2010

Thanks!.....I see now what you mean by "over the top".....but I still think I'd like to see it !! Smile D

Re: The last film you watched.... - Nearco - 06-04-2010

I saw Robin Hood (Ridley Scott's), extremely dissapointing for me. the end is pathetic. An English Sir talking about rights for plebeians? in XIIth century?? in a gathering with all sirs from all over the kingdom and the king??? and everybody clapping his words????? pleaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Kate blanchet should had thought she was playing the role of Eowyn in the lord of the rings... At the final battle I thought I was seeing "save private Ryan", I only missed Germans mg42. A noble woman renouncing to his 5000 acres and going to live to the forests is a funny idea too. Firstly I thought that about the white horse was a joke, but it is truth, I didn't know anything about this!

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 06-04-2010

Hey, Byron
Quote:still the same as the last time I saw it
That figgers, eh? :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Justin of the New Yorkii - 06-19-2010

The Book of Eli. The cinematography was solid, and Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman were convincing. Unfortunately, the plot gets worse as the movie goes along and Mila Kunis' performance was weak in an important role.
Also starring Ray Stevenson as Titus Pullo reincarnate.