RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 02-09-2010

*waves at anyone who may vaguely remember her*

I watched Let The Right One In last night. A vampire film but not a cheesy action style horror. I thought it was acted well as child actors have the potential to be very annoying! Details from the novel were left out and as I hadn't read the book I was left confused at a few scenes.

The Princess And The Frog was wonderful! Better than I was expecting, lovely animation and enough humour for adults to enjoy it as well as children.

I saw Avatar has been mentioned. I watched it twice and so many people have already mentioned the script and storyline but it was stunning, such a beautiful world Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 02-09-2010

You are indeed remembered.

Welcome back!

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 02-09-2010

Thank you! Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - jonwr - 02-10-2010

The Hurt Locker.
I have a soft spot for EOD. Spent a lot of time watching Felix's back.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 02-12-2010

The Last Temptation of Christ. It was once called controversial, but I really cannot see why. In any case, it is better than the usual Jesus movies, in which faith is presented as something that -presto!- converts you into a happy person with a Joel Osteen smile. OK, the uniforms are, even by 1988 standards, terrible, and there are many details that might have been more convincing. Yet, Scorsese shows a struggling, insecure Jesus, who is -as the Creed says- fully human, which means that he was at least contemplating sin (which is completely in accordance with the Bible; otherwise, Christ's baptism makes no sense).

Somehow, the controversy confirms my suspicion that many people who speak for Christianity, do not really understand how profound their faith in fact is.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 02-12-2010

Quote:
Quote:the controversy confirms my suspicion that many people who speak for Christianity, do not really understand how profound their faith in fact is.
Same could be said for those who speak against it, don't you think?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 02-12-2010

Quote:
Quote:the controversy confirms my suspicion that many people who speak for Christianity, do not really understand how profound their faith in fact is.
Same could be said for those who speak against it, don't you think?
Certainly, most certainly. I read The God Delusion by Richard Hawkins; I do not doubt his sincerity, but I have serious doubts about his expertise.

In general, I think that Biblical literalists and the extremest atheists are each other's favorite enemies. To the second, the first one is "a sitting duck" who can easily be ridiculed; and vice versa, the first one can easily accuse the second one of having no respect. They also agree that God's will can be deduced from a literal reading of the Bible. That religion has also something to do with mysticism, not-knowing, and doubt is something they cannot understand.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-12-2010

I personally have no doubt there is a god, my only scepticism comes when it is channeled into a doctorine.
All religious text is written by men......I understand that view may be regarded as offensive to some, but really,
you just need to look at what is perpertrated in the name of god, from whatever faith is guilty.
What exactly that makes me I don't know? A heretic, a sceptic, a minion of the devil?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 02-17-2010

Quote:A heretic, a sceptic, a minion of the devil?

All of the above!!! Smile

I quite agree tho byron, I've never been one for religion, I dont slate people for having their faith!, all power too them!... but I hate those who "spread the good word" I respect your views, but dont shove it in my face please!, i had a bit of an arguement with 2 fellows just after our last pub outing as i was waiting for the bus... from the "Church of jesus christ" (aka mormons)... Brainwashers the lot of them... they left me in peace to wait for my bus eventually, but before they left asked "is there anyone you know, who has just lost someone.. or had a new baby who might be interested in 'our message' "... Preying on the weak and vunerable... SICK!!

In terms of the latest movies i've watched recently...

'Avatar' - As everyones mentioned above, i thought the story was actually pretty good, the CG is Epic! and generally quite a good feel good movie.

'Seven Pounds' - Will smith plays a really interesting role in this, cant really explain what the movies about without spoiling it, but he "changes" 7 peoples lives. get it watched!

'Surrogates' - Bruce Willis in a Sci-fi world where people have "Robotic" versions of themselves, everyone sits in chairs all day and get fat and use their "surries" to do every day things and interact... DIFFERENT, thats all i'll say!

'Lovely Bones' - Havent read the book, but heard its rather good... quite a different paced movie, rather good, if not a bit bizarre in some of the "heaven" scenes.

'The Road' - As depressing as the reviews say it is, rather slow, but heard the book is much better! shall give it a bash!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 02-17-2010

Quote:'Surrogates' - Bruce Willis in a Sci-fi world where people have "Robotic" versions of themselves, everyone sits in chairs all day and get fat and use their "surries" to do every day things and interact... DIFFERENT, thats all i'll say!
I see the future and it looks bleak. Household robots in five years according to Popular Science. Prepare the shield wall.

Quote:
Lucius Duccius Rufinus:wonvskp8 Wrote:'Surrogates' - Bruce Willis in a Sci-fi world where people have "Robotic" versions of themselves, everyone sits in chairs all day and get fat and use their "surries" to do every day things and interact... DIFFERENT, thats all i'll say!
I see the future and it looks bleak. Household robots in five years according to Popular Science. Prepare the shield wall.

in fairness.. alot of people have "household robots" now... haha, Seen the "roombas" the robot vacuum cleaners?? Suppose its all a matter of opinion on what classes as a "Robot" Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-17-2010

I used to think it would be good to have a robot to go out and earn the living, especially if you are in a hard physical labout job, whicle you are free to live a more refined life.......hmmmmmm, I can see all the pro's and the con's.

Quote:I used to think it would be good to have a robot to go out and earn the living, especially if you are in a hard physical labout job, whicle you are free to live a more refined life.......hmmmmmm, I can see all the pro's and the con's.

Yeh that would be pretty cool, but in the film... you have to sit down in a chair and put on some pretty funky head gear to get the robot to do your bidding!! Do'h!!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Marcus F. - 02-18-2010

[Image: NangaParbat_Plakat_klein.jpg]

Nanga Parbat, a movie about Reinhold Messner losing his brother during a mountaineering-expedition at Pakistan.