RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 05-24-2009

Quote:Oh well -- at least the popcorn was good.
That's why I love cinema: the worst movie can become entertaining because the atmosphere is good.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 05-24-2009

Just watched Bridge to Terebinthia with my wife. A little sweetish sometimes, but a good story, and pretty good twists. Never saw the ******* **** ******** ******* *** coming (content deleted to keep from spoiling the twist that led to big brother reconciling with little sister). The young blonde actress did a really good job, and I suspect we'll see her again in other movies. The Dad is the Colonel on the TV show "The Unit", which I like, even though I know it's about as much fantasy as Bridge is....

Overall, I liked it. Just sentimental enough to wet an eye, but not so much as to let anyone notice that...oops, I just told everybody, didn't I?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 05-24-2009

Quote:This seemed like the same story as before -- The Future is saved by the very forces trying to destroy it. Did we not see that in Terminator 2...?

Perhaps it is a sign of my age, but for me Shakespeare said it best (to paraphrase):

'A lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.'

Oh well -- at least the popcorn was good.

:?

Narukami

I thought we were not supposed to discuss modern politics on this forum?

However...

This is out on DVD only: 1612 Polish- Russian conflict steming from the assination of Boris Gudinoff. Russian made, subtitled. Real good costuming, including decent Polish armor. Eastern European history gets little attention in the US, and what is taught outside a university is so heavily sanitized that everything is suspect. I have read that 1612 is a little loose with the facts. There is improbable romance, some mystic unicorn stuff, and a few other problems. It is, none the less, well worth watching, and give me a different contextual view of Europe before the Thirty Years War, especially after I did some follow up reading to check.

Also worth seeing is another DVD only, In Tranzit an American made film about German POWs in post-war Leningrad. John Malkovich plays a Soviet MKDV(?) officer trying to find former SS. Malkovich is almost always good and seems to be a good index on what to see. Everyone looks the part and there is no glamor anywhere. Even the best of times are grim, and everyone being in character, does not seem to notice.

Ralph I.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 05-24-2009

Quote:Eastern European history gets little attention in the US,
Not just in the US - also in western Europe. I think that 23/24 August, the day of the Molotov-Ribbentrov Pact, ought to be a Memorial Day in the European Union, but I always have to explain why.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 05-24-2009

Quote:I thought we were not supposed to discuss modern politics on this forum?

Ralph I.

True enough, but this film is bout Future Politics, at least I think it was the future... They have gone back & forth in time so often now that I'm not certain that they are even certain. :?

Of course, it does not really matter -- the technology may change but the politics are always the same. :|

Thanks for the recommendation on In Tranzit, I will have to look that one up. Smile

And you are quite right Jona, warm popcorn and ice cold Cherry Coke go a long way to making a bad film tolerable.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 05-25-2009

Star Trek, second time. I'm not a trekkie, but since I saw it for the first time, I read somewhere that it was inspired by the Epic of Gilgamesh. I thought it might be nice to check that; and yes, it was entertaining, but no, it ain't Gilgamesh, and it ain't worth a third visit.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 05-26-2009

No third visit? Even for the Green Redhead? C'mon.

Battlestar Galactica is more like Gilgamesh than Star Trek, I think.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Magnus - 05-26-2009

Went and saw Terminator Salvation last night.

Unfortunately it didn't meet the franchise standards (at least of the first two films). It was hokey, had a decent story, but had really weak off-shoots. Script was so-so...

Definately a renter!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 05-27-2009

The Young Victoria. Beautifully made, well acted, but never gripping. Still, I liked to watch it.

Re: The last film you watched.... - barcid - 05-28-2009

Quote:No third visit? Even for the Green Redhead? C'mon.

Battlestar Galactica is more like Gilgamesh than Star Trek, I think.

saw the new trekkie movie yesterday ,i give it a 10 for the green redhead ,otherwise fast pace ,humour & action ,a bit like me really 8)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 06-05-2009

Duplicity. While entertaining, and with some memorable scenes, it remained unconvincing. The trouble is that there was too much sincere sympathy between Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. For not a second could I believe that they would not be faithful to each other, which effectively killed the plot. I focused on the heist, and was in the end disappointed.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 06-09-2009

Night at the Museum II. I didn't expect a brilliant, thought-provoking movie, but good-natured entertainment, fun, and great effects. And that's what I got: good-natured entertainment, fun, and great effects. Children will like it.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 06-09-2009

Quote:Night at the Museum II. Children will like it.

And my grandson did -- very much. Smile

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 06-09-2009

At the Cinema: Up

This film has all of the technical polish we have come to expect from Pixar films and in this it does not disappoint. However...

The story left me nonplused. It is not a bad story, but then again it is not an outstanding one either.

The first ten minutes, which are vital to the story, will likely sail right over the heads of the youngsters and indeed it is aimed at the adults. It will hit most of them right between the eyes. It raises the issues of postponed dreams and "Did I waste my life" and although it is clear by film's end that the protagonist did not waste his life, that first ten minutes will be rough on many adults -- particularly the ones who are currently asking themselves those very questions.

I did enjoy this film more than last year's WALL-E, but not as much as The Incredibles or Ratatouille. Like all films the director can make a big difference and I just happen to like the work of Brad Bird more than that of the other Pixar directors.

There is also the now customary Pixar short before the main feature and this year's effort, Partly Cloudy, is simply delightful.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Justin of the New Yorkii - 06-09-2009

I just rented Mongol, and it was terrific. But my knowledge of Mongolian history is pretty limited.

Does anyone know about how accurate this film is?