RomanArmyTalk
SCUBA diving - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: SCUBA diving (/showthread.php?tid=13107)

SCUBA diving - DanM - 07-11-2008

Any divers here? I'm gonna get my certification, hopefully in august ( well, thats when the lessons are, but I may get open water dives in october ). My dad's taking lessons with me, and he used to dive to shipwrecks in the great lakes. I want to do underwater archaeology when I grow up. As soon as I get my certification, I'll try to learn videoography, I'll tell you if I find a trireme in lake michigan, or a fragment of the antikythera mechanism.

Re: SCUBA diving - Decimus Claudius Drusus - 07-12-2008

I am

I have been diving for a while but only finally got PADI certified when i was 18. Truly it is my favorite hobby, really nothing like it, completely different world down there.

I am considering studying marine archaeology in college, i am currently majoring in history, main focus of course being Roman military and politics, though i did a nice class that highlighted sexuality which in and of itself is an all around interesting matter.

I would, however, love to find roman artifacts in the Med. or in some Lake bed somewhere.

Re: SCUBA diving - Magnus - 07-13-2008

Yep, I used to dive as well, but my allergies gave me a small window during the year in which to do it (otherwise my sinuses got plugged up making it very hard to equalize). Great experience though...a few years ago I hurt my eardrum pretty good, so I'm not sure I can do it anymore or not, cuz I wouldn't mind doing it in some tropical areas.

Re: SCUBA diving - M. Demetrius - 07-13-2008

Just remember, air in, air out, water just out, not in.

Re: SCUBA diving - Wes - 07-13-2008

I have been told I am going to have to be certified as a Search and Rescue diver here at work. Kind of looking forward to it, but I have always been a little "nervous" of the whole not being able to see whats under me thing. Best to face it head on says I.....

Re: SCUBA diving - M. Demetrius - 07-14-2008

Well, when the thing has dimly glowing eyes, long spiked tentacles, and a set of chomping fangs, it's probably better to leave it alone and search somewhere else. Sometimes things like that get a wrong impression of what you are trying to do.

Re: SCUBA diving - Wes - 07-14-2008

That sounds like a meeting thats just going to hurt!! I'll get to play in all the river water anyhow, so I guess the huge River Catfish of legend will have me gobbled up before I know whats going on.......

Re: SCUBA diving - DanM - 07-14-2008

Well, Now I can't learn until I find out my glasses perscription, so I can get a mask.

Re: SCUBA diving - PMBardunias - 07-16-2008

Quote:I would, however, love to find roman artifacts in the Med. or in some Lake bed somewhere

It would be more interesting if you found them here in Florida!

Re: SCUBA diving - DanM - 07-16-2008

Or Lake Michigan