RomanArmyTalk
How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum (/showthread.php?tid=12907)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - jvrjenivs - 06-16-2008

but, then, why use a modern pencil to make the mark, where to make a hole, when you can use a center punch for instance?

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-16-2008

I would just to eyeball the thing once markedup....then I would proceed to make a mess of things....

Nice thread btw Hibs.

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - M. Demetrius - 06-16-2008

You AND me, GJC. Are you sure you're not my twin brother?

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Hibernicus - 06-16-2008

Please understand that in LEGIO IX HISPANA...
...all members are strongly encouraged to use hand tools whenever possible and practical...

I use a scratch awl and teach our members how to use a scratch awl... for wood, metal and leather.

Most new Roman reenactors have never even heard of a scratch awl let alone know how to use one. Most know what a pencil is (and maybe how to use one? :wink: )... besides a pencil mark shows up better on the photos than does an awl mark.. and of course I didn't use the ink marker on the wood because the ink spreads throughout the wood and is harder to get rid of if the line is scribed incorrectly.

The photo essays include a section on how to use various hand tools...

We don't know if it was wrong or right to use a ruler in making and assembling a segmentata.... we have no idea. You certainly don't NEED one. As modern people we tend to default to the precision of rulers. From my experience it's not easier to use a ruler or even faster.... just a different way to locate holes, lines etc. .. eyeballing works too!

Afterall, we're not building rocket ships! Big Grin

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - rogue_artist - 06-18-2008

Quote:Most new Roman reenactors have never even heard of a scratch awl let alone know how to use one.

I was just about to ask what a scratch awl was..... LOL

Don't I just ooze *newbie*? Smile

EDIT: I was wondering where this how-to site is? What is the URL?

thank you so very kindly for a tutorial like this! IT will be put to use ASAP.

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-18-2008

Pencil......did we lurn this thing wen at skool?

Sorry, I'll refrain now.... :roll:

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - M. Demetrius - 06-19-2008

Huh? You've frained before? I must have missed it.
:lol:

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Hibernicus - 06-21-2008

Jason...

..it's being set up...

Regarding pencils and pictures with awl markings... tried a variety of angles, exposures and am still not pleased with the viewability of awl marks unless the photo is high resolution. We'll stick to midrange resolution photos and ink or pencil marks for the purposes of illustration.. and, of course, our usual caveat about using ink and pencils...

Awl marks on leather and wood are more readily visible... so that's less problematic

We had another meeting yesterday about layout and we will stick to a very simple arrangement... it's tempting to have cute little pop up boxes when you scroll across an item in a picture etc etc etc... but I believe that simpler is better for this project...

Soon.

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS - 06-24-2008

Hib,

I have bought myself a draw knife and have actually started to carve myself a proper ash pillum! I was always perplexed by how to shape the trapezoid head, but those pictures gave me the insightful kick in the pants to try it. So far so good.

Can't wait to see more pictures for inspiration.

Keep up the great work guys!

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Hibernicus - 06-24-2008

Thanks Phil.

And keep that drawknife sharp! I think half the trick to using edged handtoosl is maintaining a proper edge.

You can use the draw knife to shape the entire wood shaft. The small plane is helpful, same with a spoke shave style tool but not necessary. The only other tool you need is a saw to cut a tang receiver slot.

For smoohting use a scraper. You can make a scraper out of any piece of metal... a piece as small as 1"x2" that you "scrape" the surface with...

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS - 06-24-2008

Sean,

Will do!

I almost forgot... I use my machinist's apron in case one of my inward pulls accidentally slips. Consider it a little accident insurance.

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Hibernicus - 06-24-2008

On OLD trick when using a draw knife, spoke shave etc is to place a heavy leather pad against your sternum, brace your work between a spot on the ground (rock, tree, stake..) and your chest, while you stand bent over.. makes great demonstration at an event... carving away to make a pilum shaft with nothing but you the ground and a tool... simple, basic..

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS - 06-25-2008

I may just try that if the weather holds this weekend Idea

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Tarbicus - 06-25-2008

How about a shave horse? Does anyone recognise this kind of thing from any artistic sources they may have seen?
http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm

EDIT: Aha. Answered my own question with a quick Google:
http://www.geocities.com/realm_of_brims ... rking.html
[quote]Excavation of roman sites turned up work benches with 2 parallel rows of holes in the top. These rows of holes were for bench dogs. A dog was placed in opposite holes in the two rows, the work-piece (here on referred to as “stuffâ€

Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - Hibernicus - 06-28-2008

A shave horse solves some wood working problems, but a variety of stops and hold fasts on a workbench will do the job too.. inlcuding a shoemakers technique of a leather strap that loops over the item being worked, the bench and down to the craftsman's foot for tensioning.