RomanArmyTalk
Socrates for President - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Socrates for President (/showthread.php?tid=12850)

Pages: 1 2

Socrates for President - DanM - 06-06-2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qwzaqqW-Y My new commercial, and of course all a joke. I'm starting to sell socrates apparel on cafepress. You may need to be an american to get the jokes. and this has nothing to do with politics.

Re: Socrates for President - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-07-2008

Will watch this when I get home.....Socrates always gets my vote.. :lol:

Re: Socrates for President - Susanne - 06-07-2008

LOL... Big Grin

Re: Socrates for President - Jona Lendering - 06-07-2008

Socrates was in fact a president, once: of the Athenian Assembly. The story, which is quite interesting, is told by Xenophon. Summarized, Socrates refused to accept a democratic decision (about the execution of several admirals) because he believed the law was different.

Today, we no longer see "rule of the law" as opposed to "government by the people", but that's because we have -ahem- laws to change laws democratically. Still, the Athenian experience, and Socrates' presidency, are illuminating.

BTW, I'd personally vote Marcus Aurelius.

Re: Socrates for President - DanM - 06-07-2008

Well, Marcus Aurelius wasn't a US citizen at the time of the foundation of the US, but I believe Socrates was. Then, also , he can run in the Netherlands. ( OK, I'm guessing there, I don't know about your constitution. ) But, let's not get into politics.

Quote:I don't know about your constitution.
There are days that we Dutch don't know that either... Officially, we're a parliamentary, constitutional monarchy. Now you may choose what that means: rule by a democratically elected parliament, rule by law, or rule by our queen? It used to mean that it was a messy bureaucracy, but over the past years, it's changing into - well, I wish I'd understand what on earth is going on in this confused country.

Re: Socrates for President - Marcus Mummius - 06-07-2008

Quote:
DanM:1mjqs2y2 Wrote:I don't know about your constitution.
There are days that we Dutch don't know that either... Officially, we're a parliamentary, constitutional monarchy. Now you may choose what that means: rule by a democratically elected parliament, rule by law, or rule by our queen? It used to mean that it was a messy bureaucracy, but over the past years, it's changing into - well, I wish I'd understand what on earth is going on in this confused country.

Perhaps you should consider moving to Belgium. Our situation is crystal clear :lol:

Quote:Perhaps you should consider moving to Belgium. Our situation is crystal clear :lol:
I think having spent hundreds of guilders and hundreds of euros in my favorite pub (this one) qualifies me as honorary citizen of Belgium. :wink:

Re: Socrates for President - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-07-2008

I was going to suggest that perhaps it is not the constitution that has you confused....but the amount of time you have spent in the coffee houses...... Tongue P (just kidding)

Re: Socrates for President - Marcus Mummius - 06-07-2008

Quote:
Marcus Mummius:37mkjrjm Wrote:Perhaps you should consider moving to Belgium. Our situation is crystal clear :lol:
I think having spent hundreds of guilders and hundreds of euros in my favorite pub (this one) qualifies me as honorary citizen of Belgium. :wink:

If you have 4 different governements in one small and divided country, you need the consolation of good beer :lol:

Re: Socrates for President - Sean Manning - 06-07-2008

Quote:Socrates was in fact a president, once: of the Athenian Assembly. The story, which is quite interesting, is told by Xenophon. Summarized, Socrates refused to accept a democratic decision (about the execution of several admirals) because he believed the law was different.

Today, we no longer see "rule of the law" as opposed to "government by the people", but that's because we have -ahem- laws to change laws democratically. Still, the Athenian experience, and Socrates' presidency, are illuminating.

BTW, I'd personally vote Marcus Aurelius.
Supreme Courts in countries like Canada and the US sort of have the role of defending the rule of law. I don't know what the situation is like in the Netherlands, though.

Socrates would make a good leader of the opposition in a country with a British-style parliamentary system. Question period would get a much more intellectual tone ...

Quote:Supreme Courts in countries like Canada and the US sort of have the role of defending the rule of law. I don't know what the situation is like in the Netherlands, though.
Nope, the Parliamant is supposed not to make unconstitutional laws. We do have a "Hoge Raad" (supreme council) that gives advise when laws are prepared, and unfortunately is also the highest juridical court. This means that one college is both advising and controling, which is against E.U. principles, and is now under investigation by the Luxemburg E.U. court.

I do not need Belgian beer -that is to say: I am serious- to maintain that the Dutch would, as far as legal security is concerned, be better of if the Netherlands were added to Germany as a Bundesland. It's a sign of both these confused times and the excellent relations to the Germany, that people no longer think that this thought experiment is insane.

Re: Socrates for President - DanM - 06-07-2008

And now Socrates for President has changed to the compaison of the Belgian and Dutch governments. We better get off of real politics.

Quote:And now Socrates for President has changed to the compaison of the Belgian and Dutch governments. We better get off of real politics.
Maybe you are right, but I think the Forum Rules refer to real debate, and until now, people are just explaining how their governments work. Still, better to leave the issue.

Re: Socrates for President - Narukami - 06-07-2008

Very good Dan.

Though if not Socrates for President then I would vote for:
Gaius Julius Caesar -- A Honest Dictator (He is also no slouch when it comes to public speaking, certainly a plus by any standard.)

:wink:

Narukami