RomanArmyTalk
manica - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: manica (/showthread.php?tid=12816)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: manica - Karus - 06-06-2008

NU NU stop messing about! Big Grin D D

Re: manica - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-06-2008

Why whats he doing to you..... :? roll:

Re: manica - Karus - 06-06-2008

Sorry comrade...did`nt realise you were north of the border as well! thought you were the famous NU Nu of the GMV...

Karus

Re: manica - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-06-2008

No, I'm the pretty one!! :lol: :lol:

Re: manica - Tarbicus - 06-07-2008

Quote:Sorry Tarbicus...don`t know why you would think I was jumping out of the line. I`m just saying that for a thrust to have any power it comes from the shoulder and if so then the arm naturally rotates so that the manica would end up inside the arm if it`s start position was to the front. Just jabbing at the enemy is`nt going to get the job done you`ve got to stick it in with real force and then yank it back ..that takes some real power and that means that the arm will rotate QED. Smile

But leaping forwards gives you all the power and momentum you need, and if you're not leaping from the line you're possibly doing it wrong.

Re: manica - Karus - 06-07-2008

Well if that`s rght perhaps manica were worn only by certain individual fighers who were trained to do just that (front rank men or mabe 1st cohort??) or perhaps this kit was only worn in certain circumstances, but that`s really a seconary point. The question is whether the community feel that there is an equally good argument for wearing the manica at the side of the arm (when at rest) so that when joe public asks I can explain both positions and my particular preference.

K

Re: manica - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-07-2008

If I recall the leaping out of the line was only a small part of the training mentioned....probably to take a beligerant Gaul by surprise when he strayed to close to the line...

Doesn't get around that it's the only technique recorded in the primary sources AFAIK. Unpopular perhaps today, but it's a plain fact.

As for other recorded fighting techniques in battle, I'd like to see 'em :wink:

Who recorded it?

Can't remember, but it's in Davies (I think it's Vegetius).

That is someone I have to get a hold of I guess.

But I remember one source also talking about the stabbing past the shield, and if the opposition is covering himself too well, going for a slashing cut to the tendons....with appropriate comments about the recipient bitting their shield rims from agony......was that Caesar or Polybius? (or tacitus?)

OK so is wearing the manica on the outside of the arm a valid position?? Big Grin

K

Probably best, as weari...........ok I will refrain from saying what I was going to say..... :roll:

Come on soldier ...spit it out!

K

ok.....as wearing inside your arm can cause horrible infections...... Tongue P roll: (you did ask) :lol: