RomanArmyTalk
Marathon 2011 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Marathon 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=12782)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 07-20-2009

Nope, our ships has 20 row seats - 17meters long and weights 6.5tons. Pentekonter must be impressive sight, didnt hear about it though.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 07-20-2009

Did you build it yourself? If not, where was it built? Sounds fantastic!

Is there a thread with pictures?

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 07-20-2009

Sure, there is a thread:

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26681">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26681<!-- l

There are many pics across the thread, as the construction progressed. Final pics are yet to be posted Smile Ignore the link to the other thread, just stick with this one.

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 07-23-2009

Persians?... we can field some, [url:1149j9s1]http://www.hoplites.org/HARavenstone.htm[/url] :wink:

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 12-17-2009

Friends,
As of this morning, I have an e-mail from the Minister of Culture's office stating that the ministry is optimistic about the event. We immediately started haggling about costs, so I assume we have an event. The tentative dates are October 27-30th (inclusive) 2011. The two week days (Thursday and Friday) would be for school groups, and the two weekend days open to the public.

For anyone interested in "how" this happened, I'd pretty much given up when a friend of mine met the new Director of the Hellenic Film Commission in Athens, and talked to him about it. He was receptive and got the ear of the Minister in just ten days. Given how much time many of us on this list put into this, it's almost anticlimactic. However--it looks good. We're talking money. And the new government seems to think (so far, and fingers crossed) that we can use the main Marathon site for the Battle...

I suspect we'll be on our own for airfare--the government of Greece is as poor as all governments, these days. However, yesterday I got a call from a BBC rep looking to do a documentary on the "Marathon reenactment" (the joke is that I hadn't heard back from the Minister of Culture yet, but this BBC guy already had the news, I guess) and I hoping to get the documentary and some corporate sponsors to "help" with the airfare. Anyway--fingers crossed, and as Stephanos says, keep pushing!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Perdiccas - 12-17-2009

Wow that's awesome news, Kineas!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Quintus Galerius - 12-17-2009

mmm I have no gear (except the pelta) right now but I have time to arrange something Tongue mrgreen:

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 12-18-2009

Very well done. The time seems right to start making some 'local' noise now and seek wider interest/support. We have already planned a 2010 international trip to test out the logistics of getting our myriad of tents and display equipment on the road (so to speak) and our choice for Greece seems to be a 'Summer Holiday' style coach approach. Bit easier for us from the UK Kineas!

Over the last 12 months we have been sounding out photographers, event organisers and potential supporters and with it coming the year before the Olympics, that might generate a little more interest.

To ground this at Marathon would be wonderful... to link it with a hoplite march from Athens to Marathon though would be..... Big Grin

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 12-18-2009

Truly excellent news! We stand ready to participate, if needed. The ship as well, it would be finally a good reason to do the trip down to the black sea and then forth to the mediterranean Smile

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 12-18-2009

Quote:The ship as well, it would be finally a good reason to do the trip down to the black sea and then forth to the mediterranean

Now that I WOULD pay to see...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 12-18-2009

Now that I would pay to be on! I was a boat officer and a boat handler in the navy--and I can row...could I come and row?

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 12-18-2009

I'm being asked for estimates on numbers of hoplites who are flying.m I think we may get some support from the Greek airlines--so could people in Australia, New Zealand, South America, and the US and Canada--well, anyone who might go and would need airfare support--send me a PM? I just need estimates.

Also, if this is going to work, we're going to have to tackle those issues--like insurance--that were brought up a year ago. I'd like to propose--again--that every country have a "Strategos" and that person be the "officer" for his national contingent, and take care of making sure everyone has insurance and some basic safety training. Is this possible in Europe? I'm pretty sure we can pull it off in North America, even though we might end up with some trans-national local strategoi...

My image of this is that we assign each region one of the ten tribes of Athens. I've mentioned this before... But I can tell you from experience, friends--you don't want to expect the SITE to provide organization. We need to do that ourselves. And further--now that this looks real--unless we screw this up, there will be major media and possibly even some money for the reenactors from media stuff. That will require contracts and unit cohesion. Further, at some point we will want to state some standards. No, I'm not running off on an authenticity rant--far from it. But I think we'll want to make some good, safe, and reasonable decisions about what kit we allow.

In effect, we have two years to create an organization that can provide a competent and professional historic demonstration in Greece. One of the simplest ways to arrive at this would be to federate all the existing groups, choose national "strategoi" and use them as a council to guide developments. There are other ways... I'll be the first to admit that I like to keep the power down in the ranks, and to utilize the groups already formed as much as possible, because that model works in other parts of the reenactment hobby. But I'm open to other opinions... After all, I'm not actually in charge.... Smile ) )

Final note. Yesterday, I had more than a dozen phone calls on this--from all over the world. All of them were media people (okay, I'm an author and I know some media people). Unless we are very unlucky, there will be money. Maybe not piles of money--certainly not enough to quit a job. But some money from appearances and filing and so on. we will not gte any of that if we don't have some unity and some organization.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 12-20-2009

Actually, we have been planning the trip for some time, but handling the journey all the way to the mediterranean might be slightly above our current quallification. The ship is certified for river travel, sea travel up to 5 miles from the coastline and 9 miles between islands. We are sure we will be able to go down the Danube close to the black sea. I am sure the vision of this trip is very exciting even for all of us and we will welcome any volunteers for future. I bet its gonna be harsh Smile
We have tried to contact some TVs like BBC, Discovery and various history channels, but it seems we lack the strings to reach someone responsible enough to look at what we have to offer.

In any case, if you with to see it, you will be welcome to pay a visit when we prepare it for next season sometimes in the end of March, possibly during April. We can even possibly arrange some sort of event / lecture for public/fans around here, should you come with something prepared. This applies to anyone interested, my dear friends Wink

By all means, the most convenient and cost-efficient way to transport the ship is by using a truck, which is how we have been transporting it over greater distances so far. Its not as expensive as one would expect, but it is still an expense to count with. I am sure things can be arranged, should such a necessity arise. The ship was tested to carry ~40 people (20 rowers included),

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 02-01-2010

A recent turn of events may help us to participate in the Marathon battle with far lower costs than expected. We have been addressed by people responsible for tourism in Thessaloniki and also by some people from Crete, who are very interested in our ship and our performances. While we may have no time to go there this year, it is very likely that we will accept that invitation in 2011... which means that the ship should be able to get to the Marathon site just by following the coastline, i guess (in case that it ends up in Thessaloniki, of course Smile ).

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 02-15-2010

I got a reply from the Government of Greece asking us to be patient and wait two more weeks (this was last Friday). My understanding, though, is that our event costs money, and Greece has none. Even the bare bones 14,000 dollars from the government may be too much.

It is my feeling as someone who organizes these things in the US and Canada that it would be unwise of us to proceed if the Government of Greece will not allocate money. They might "allow" such and event or "sponsor" it, but without money involved, there will be no support whatsoever (all governments seem alike in this respect) nor will we receive any help in finding funding or airfare. if, on the other hand, Greece does allocate funds, I think we'll be in good shape because no one likes to lose an investment.

I hope that we get a favorable answer. But only time will tell. I'll remind you all that we set an April 1 2010 drop dead date back in May 2009. I think we have to stick to that date. Sad as it is.

Anyway, all hope is not gone. Please wait two more weeks!