RomanArmyTalk
Marathon 2011 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Marathon 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=12782)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Re: Marathon 2011 - hoplite14gr - 05-07-2009

Let it happen first and congratulate yourselfs if you can be there.
Unless we drink together in good company in Greece, with all of you do not be overexcited!

Kind regards

Re: Marathon 2011 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-07-2009

Well, I am hoping to get back there this year, so perhaps we can meet for a beer someday!
But, still, I am keeping my fingers crossed forr you, and think positive! Smile

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 06-04-2009

So....

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

First, let me thank Stefanos and Giannis for their help--as well as Aliki Hamosfakadou, Shelley Power, and the other attendees.

What did we accomplish?

Well, we don't have a governmental agreement to an event. Neither do we have a ministerial NO. So, to paraphrase Stephanos, we're pushing on several fronts, trying to widen our pressure on the government. I'm trying to enlist folks like Victor Hanson and Steven Pressfield. Stefanos is making contacts, Giannis is approaching the sports people who run the Marathon race, and Shelley Power (a friend of mine from France) is pushing her various friends in government ministries...

I'd ask everyone who reads this to write--even just an e-0mail, but a letter is better--to your country's Greek Embassy. Can't hurt!

I think this will work. It's sad, in a way, that the Persians attacked Athens and not, say, Lesvos--if Marathon had been at Mythymna, we'd have it all set up right now. Everywhere--and I mean everywhere--I went in Greece, everyone wanted to be a part of this. Greeks LOVE their history. It's just the government dragging its feet.

That said, our "Marathon Meeting" pretty much agreed on a date. Please do NOT run out and buy tickets--this is provisional. But we're looking at Oct 27th to 31st, 2011 as our provisional dates. That's to make the reenactment match up with the date of the race in Athens and the usual holiday--and what all our Greek friends see as the good reenacting weather.

As a final note, I found multiple sites while I was there for what North Americans call "immersion" reenacting--that is, for a long march with camping, lasting 3-5 days. if anyone is interested in doing such a thing, please contact me. We don't need the Government's permission to do an immersion event (no public) and Greece--especially Lesvos--is covered with walking trails that are, quite frankly, deserted. I walked a few of them. Camp sites, water, authentic roads, brutal terrain--this is the sort of thing my 18th c. group does routinely, and Greece is great for it. And for those of you who don't live on the Mediterranean, the weather is why Greeks wear a simple chiton and sandals!

Anyway, this is all still just talk. but it seems more real to me now. Keep pushing!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-04-2009

I e-mailed the president of ????? (Association of Greek Athletic and Gymnastic Unions) who runs the anual International Marathon race. I asked their plan,if any,for the 2500 years from the battle of Marathon. And if anything special is organized,if they would find interesting the contribution of Greek re-enactors from around the world. And even if nothing special is organized,if they think that camps can be established along the Marathon race with re-enactors informing people of the men that fought and run that day 2500 years ago.
I hope i will get a responce. I will report as soon as I get it.
One thing i can asure all re-enactors here,that efforts are being done so an even will take place in 2011. As christian said,the government doesn't appear to be oposed,but they're busy with other matters and in any case they must be treated carefully. The event is being aproached by different angles,so if anyone can be of help,please offer. I will also remind Stefanos' words...push,push,push.
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kallimachos - 06-05-2009

Quote:The event is being aproached by different angles,so if anyone can be of help,please offer. I will also remind Stefanos' words...push,push,push.
Khairete
Giannis
We offer our help in any way we can, of course. By the way, I tried to contact the Greek embassy here for other reasons, but never got any responds. It seems that they are very contained regarding living history. Of course it would not hurt to write again :-) )
Please contact my friend Perdikkas if you need anything, he is our contact person for this matter.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 06-08-2009

Unesco may NOT be the venue of choice....

Shelley Power wrote back from Paris...

Quote:...But I don't think we can ask their help, because it's a military event.

I. CRITERIA FOR THE SELECTION OF ANNIVERSARIES APPROVED BY THE EXECUTIVE BOARD AT ITS 159TH SESSION

(a) Each proposed anniversary should be indisputably linked to the Organization's ideals and missions in the fields of education, science, culture, social and human sciences and communication and should promote closer relations among peoples, tolerance, and the ideals of peace, cultural dialogue and mutual understanding among peoples.

(b) Commemorations of the birth, independence or institutional regime of a State, historical empires and dynasties will not be eligible for consideration; similarly the anniversaries of military events will be excluded.

Yikes. On to the EU Cultural ministries...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 06-10-2009

I think it would be possible to sail our new ship to the Marathon beach in 2011. It will be fully functional this summer, soby that time there should be no problem at all to make this trip. We were planning some medditteranean trips anyway Smile

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 07-06-2009

Apparently Aliki and Stefanos have a meeting with the Ministry of Tourism. Wish them luck--this may be it!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 07-19-2009

Friends,
Aliki and Stefanos had a successful meeting with the Ministry of Tourism and I was asked to provide a whole realm of information on reenactor costs, camping, lodging, travel money, media interaction and sales of media contracts--which is a very positive development. As I've said above--I do this in my other hobby as a matter of routine--just not usually across a couple of oceans. Hopefully, my information will sell the government on what a fantastic deal a few hundred reenactors are.
I think we're pretty close. Keep your fingers crossed.
I've had a couple of letters from people telling me that "Marathon is dead." Friends, you just can't say that two full years before a projected event. We will have SEVERAL more major obstacles to cross. When we cross them all, we will still need the enthusiastic support of you, the hoplite reenactors. Please stay with us. If it's not going to happen, I'll say so--a matter of professional pride if nothing else. Until we say "It's dead," we'd all appreciate your continued support.

Thanks!

On to Marathon!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-19-2009

Well, I'm not a hoplite re-enactor, yet. But you have my full enthusiastic support, as it was a dream to do Hoplite re-enactment that started me into Roman re-enactment.
Keep us posted and all the best!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Perdiccas - 07-19-2009

We Hetairoi are still very enthusiastic about the possibility and hope your hard work leads to a great event!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Caius Fabius - 07-19-2009

Are there any Persian reenactment groups? (From this period, to act as opponents?)

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 07-20-2009

I'm working on it. Smile

Seriously, there's some folks in Central PA in the USA, and some other guys from the Iranian Cultural Center in Toronto. I hope to get them together with a few guys and gals from my own group who are making Saka or Persian kit.

I was hoping that we'd make contact wit the Government of Iran by now, but current events seem to have got the better of reenacting, and there won't be any Iranian reenactors for another decade--at least out of Iran. So I'll go back to haunting the cultural centers...

Howver, if you follow this thread up, you'll see that Giannis cooked up a very workable idea that only required 40-50 Persians to represent the whole force (as against perhaps 100+ hoplites--scale matters here) and I think we'll get that.

Of course, one simple answer would be for some Europe based late roman auxiliaries in trousers to make hoods or hats and re-badge for the weekend...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Lýsandros - 07-20-2009

Its a bit of a shame that the Shah of Iran was overthrown in the 80s. He loved the ancient Persian heritage and I am sure would send half of the current Iranian Army to do the Persian invasion force some justice Smile

By the way Kineas, our ship is finished and will be put up for display this weekend, so I will update you all with pictures. The mighty bireme Hyperborea will be ready for deployment!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 07-20-2009

I look forward to seeing it.

Is there not also a pentekonter recently completed? Or is that your ship?