RomanArmyTalk
Marathon 2011 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Marathon 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=12782)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Re: Marathon 2011 - Ceasar Augustus - 08-05-2008

Sounds like we're doing alright.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 04-03-2009

An update.

We seem to have a project manager in the Ministry of Tourism--a Mr. Bouros. He's got the information packet we sent (that's a we that includes input from quite a few people on this list) and an outline of a possible event--a deliberately vague outline, let me hasten to add.

A great deal of the legwork on this project has been done by Mrs. Aliki Hamosfakidou, who seems to have the contacts required to keep the Ministries focused--but a great many other people have pushed or pulled via friends, business contacts, and in one case a Greek Ambassador.

I MAY get a meeting with Mr. Bouros and his staff during my trip to Greece in May. I'm not trying to be in charge--I'm just trying to keep this thing moving forward.

I'm happy to discuss this here or off-line. I will say that I think there's a general consensus among the organized groups that we all want to make this happen if it can be done. I wouldn't go to far beyond that in claiming that we have a unified front... Big Grin

If anyone knows any groups who want to do this event, I'd like to hear from them--one document I've been asked to prepare is a list of the groups, their contact info and websites, if any.

I will also say that I suspect--and again, I don't claim to be in charge here--that we're going to end up limiting this event to those people who have INSURANCE and belong to a GROUP. I realize that is not how a great many ancient reenactors operate--and I will bend over backwards to try and make individual participation possible, but I do ask anyone reading this plea to understand how much easier it is to deal with twenty groups than with two hundred individuals. I still like the idea of giving every country a tribe of Athens... we could do it alphabetically so no one gets annoyed at the tribe they draw.

Friends, I begin to suspect that this may actually come off. I'd rate our odds at a little above 60/40.

Hopefully, I'll have more as we get closer to May.

Yours,
Christian

Re: Marathon 2011 - Robert Vermaat - 04-04-2009

Hi Christian,

I have no idea of your experience in this sort of thing, but it might help if you take a lot of photographic material with you to distribute at that meeting. Visualising means very much. Also a list of Greek names with groups attached might be very helpful - it would mean that you're not 'just' some bl... foreigner with big ideas, but a foreign representative of Greek (and foreign) groups who all want to come over. After all, the folks at the ministry must see this as a project which can fit into their plans, that's how most government departments work (including my own). :wink:

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 04-04-2009

Thanks!

In my other reenactment hobby, I routinely run or help run events up to 2500 reenactors, working with Parks Canada or the National Park Service and/or privates sites and sponsors. That said, nothign i've done before has prepared me for working "with" the Greek Government and every warning Stefanos and Giannis gave me last August has proven accurate.

But a Stefanos said way back, if we keep pushing--so we are doing just that, and your suggestions are bang on. List of groups, more photos. Aye aye!

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 04-06-2009

The HA would be 'in' - I think the talk was about hiring a coach and making a holiday of it with a bit of a trip around when there if it goes ahead. Big Grin

Insurance - I think you are correct in suggetsing group membership to attend, but in reality, as long as individuals possess public liability insurance it would work - HOWEVER the cost on an individual basis would be expensive and the costs of joining a group minimal - so attaching them to groups might be worth encouraging?

Might I suggest a solicitation of key groups to see if they would be happy to accept members who would probably only be joining to attend this one event? That would give a platform for pulling in odds and sods. Differing groups work in differing ways so there may well be scope to absorb differing interpretations without compromising group guidelines (not a problem in the UK with two groups who have quite differing outlooks). We would probably want to meet and involve someone in a training weekend first, but the basic principle holds true.

With shields now being produced in India etc, it is about as cheap now to do it right as to 'go theatrical', so all people need is reasonable guidance.

One thought - to draw people in from around the globe a good few days 'camping' either side of the key event would be appealing.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 04-06-2009

I think we're going for a 4 day event with two "prime" days and 4 days worth of camping. That's an excellent suggestion. Is it a fair guess that we should have both "period" and "modern" camping?

Re: Marathon 2011 - Perdiccas - 04-06-2009

As i wrote Kineas in a private Message, we are also still very interested in making this happen. We would prefer 4 Days of period camping.

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 04-07-2009

Living history and modern camping would be the only practical solution. For some it would be quite an effort to ship period tents such a distance (hence we are considering a coach). It is a pretty normal set up for an event anyway.

The important thing about camping though is the number of nights -so by '4 days' do you mean 3 nights or 5 nights? For obvious reasons the 5 has greater appeal.

Re: Marathon 2011 - richard robinson - 04-11-2009

When meeting with officials i also like to promote my/our activities with links to the net
i see that there are many fine youtube hoplites training links these days
(have you see the melbourne hoplitikon training vids-awesone!)
regards
richard

Re: Marathon 2011 - hoplite14gr - 04-23-2009

Please consider the following carefully:

During my Easter vacation I had the chance to talk with an influential gentleman.

a) There is a chance that UNESCO might be involved. Might be useful if you can access UNESCO chapters in your locality.

b) What IF? International hoplites who manage their air ticket to Greece were boarded for some days either in Aegina island or At Mycunae or other place. Excursion could be arranged the to Thermopylae or Marathon or even a hoplitodromy at Nemea?

The demonstration fair can take place not the historical locatian but we might find more easily accomodation sponsors in these places.

Let me have your thoughts.

Kind regards

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 04-23-2009

Excellent idea, Stefanos. I, too, have begun to wonder about alternate sites in Greece--if only as a stick with which to beat the government...

I know of a town and site (Molyvos on Lesvos) that would be delighted to host Marathon.. (that was said a bit tongue in cheek, BTW).

At any rate, I'll follow up with UNESCO here, too.

Stefanos, I'm on Lesvos from May 10-23, and in Athens May 24 to June 1st. I'll tell you when I have a phone number. My wife and I will have an apartment in Athens, just south fo the Akropolis, so we'd be delighted to host if you could visit. We're also planning on going up to Plataia for a day...

Re: Marathon 2011 - hoplite14gr - 04-25-2009

Cristian PM me for details.

Richard have you seen the "spartas mores" videos too?

I will keep you posted on developments

Kind regards

Stefanos

Re: Marathon 2011 - hoplite14gr - 05-06-2009

OK.
As I said, I will post.

The Authorities of Corinthia Prefecture and the Regency Hotel plan to stage an ISTHMIA festival. That leaves hope for sponsorship epsecially for the overseas hoplites.

Mores as I get updates.

Kind regards

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 05-07-2009

That sounds excellent.

I leave for Greece Sunday (May 10) but I won';t be in Athens to make meetings until May 24th. In the mean time I'll be on Lesvos.

Let's all keep pushing...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-07-2009

Sounds like you guys are making things happen finally! Great guns to you Stefanos!
Wish I could drop by to see this happening one day!