RomanArmyTalk
Marathon 2011 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Marathon 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=12782)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 06-26-2008

That's great, John. Make some kit. Be a Psiloi. I plan to bring several teen-aged Psiloi to Marathon. As Marcus said--you can be one.

Stefanos, do your last couple of posts mean that you and your group will take the lead on Marathon? if so, can you contact me by PM so I can put you in touch with the folks in Greece that have responded so far?

Further to that, my agent knows not one but two Greek ambassadors. She's hot to press forward on pushing this on them... I haven't taken that step yet.

And still further, my publisher is willing to help on publicity (that's Orion UK, but they have contacts in Greece.)

And finally, we're willing to donate media space for a Marathon Website--and I have some content arranged, as well. I'd like to get it all translated into Greek, too--so that the website is at least bilingual. I've told the web designer and various artist donors that we're looking at an October 1st live date, and I've further told the folks in Greece that if they want a 2010 reenactment, they need to have a hard date by October of this year and the permission of the municipality and etc.

Of course, on the privacy of this forum we know that that's a false "hard date" but I think (and I hope everyone agrees) that if the GoG and the municipality want Oct. 31, 2010 to be the 2500th to go with the running of the Athens Marathon, then they need to tell us, the reenactors, ASAP so we can prepare and recruit and fundraise. And I'm sorry I took that on myself--but people keep asking...

This has actually been more driven by the folks at their end, but that's why I keep asking thee questions on the list, and why I'm asking you if you're ready to say "yes, I'm in charge!" because there's stuff already happening... and I agree with Marcus--the reenactor end should be in Greece.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 06-26-2008

Ok Giannis

Let's see if we can help. Firstly what are your doubts/concerns about joining a group?? As I said before if we are all members of a group the logistics become easier rather than dealing with a group of individuals and we know the reasons behind this.

In the town/area that you live are there any insurance brokers that you could telephone/visit and discuss your needs with?? - you would need to be going down the route of public liability and maybe some personal insurance.

You could join the H.A. for the purpose of this event - membership is £15.00 per year - what's that 15 - 20 euros???? Not a lot.

I will be in Greece in a couple of weeks time and I will see what I can find out while there if you would like??

Kind regards

Mark

Re: Marathon 2011 - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-26-2008

OK Thanks.I'll look it up for the insurance,and by 2010 I may already be a member of a group. No need to check for me,Mark. I just wanted to know if I had to do this for my ensurance or it was something connected with the participation to this festival.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Marathon 2011 - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 06-26-2008

Hi Giannis

Whether group or Individual you SHOULD have some form of insurance. Even if it's just for peace of mind. Like I said in an earlier post you don't want someone sueing your ass off!! Confusedhock: Cry

Would recommend you do the group thing though - all this then will be in place and your membership fee should cover the costs.

Still interested to know what your doubts are though :?

Kind regards

Mark

Re: Marathon 2011 - Ceasar Augustus - 06-26-2008

What would I need for Psiloi gear?

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 06-26-2008

You need a cap, which I can explain--probably goatskin, bit there's other idea (like wool felt) as well as a chiton (2 pieces of wool or linen) and a cloak--maybe two cloaks, if you plan to sleep under them.

For weapons, you need a pile of rocks.

If you want to be fancy, Kult of AThena sells javelins for $40 a shot. they're not great, but they're not bad, and then you can start throwing them at targets in your back yard, if you have a back yard.

For way less money, you can acquire a lifetime sport/hobby by learning to sling. Making a sling will cost you about a dollar. Follow these links.

[url:2n7evfe7]http://slinging.org/index.php?page=advice-and-how-to-s[/url]

I'm not kidding, John. I'll have half a dozen 15 year-olds at Marathon. And if you can sling, EVERY group will want you.

A richer Psiloi, or one who's done some looting, might have a sword or a big knife. You might want to ask for advice on that--there's some dreadful stuff out there, but some good stuff, too.

In a few days my unit's forum and website will be up, and I'll send you a ling. We'll have a "build a Psiloi kit" topic running for the guys who want to do it.

I'd send you to 4hoplites, but you must know it.

And somewhere on this site, there a thread with a nice vase illustration of a Boeotian psiloi of just the Marathon period.

Thanks. Since my house has more than acre of back yard, finding somewhere to sling won't be a problem.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-26-2008

Hello John. The site Kineas sent you is very helpful. It helped me make my sling,too,some years back. Here it is
http://freemail.gr/an_inv_temp/48639ffc ... 13018.jpeg
It requires a lot of practice to sling accurately. I achiaved to throw stones far enough,but I still didn;t manage to get very accurate. Not a lot of practice,and perhaps because my sling is in the long side. Good luck in that.
Khaire
Giannis

Is there something wrong with the link you gave me? It says 404 can't be found.

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 06-27-2008

Thanks a lot folks - you have hit my site so much in the last month it has crashed :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol:

Bandwidth is exceeded, no biggie. It will be back up on Tuesday (1st). I am loath to put even more money behind it and don't want to strip out the high res pics, but had a second site on Scythians in the making and when that is up i will tie the two together, strip the scythian stuff out of the 4hoplites site and update the 4hoplites site with a load of stuff I have not had space for.

All too technical, but bottom line - back up on Monday Big Grin

Re: Marathon 2011 - Ceasar Augustus - 06-27-2008

Well, i guess I can't visit it for a while then.

Re: Marathon 2011 - ouragos - 07-01-2008

www.4hoplites.com is back on line now. Big Grin

The hit rate last month crashed in on 23rd June! That's a record for the site (and it has a fair amount of memory so usually manages to see a month out). Usually if it is hit hard and goes down it is only 1-2 days before a month end.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kineas - 07-01-2008

Huzzah!

I hope that Canada didn't crash it...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Ceasar Augustus - 07-05-2008

Remind me to hit your site tons of times this month.

Re: Marathon 2011 - Dienekes_Hoplite - 07-08-2008

Greetings to everyone !

I wanted to inform you that our Group "Ares Anax" will hapilly join this effort to organize and set this Event.

Let me know if we can do anything (translations , contacts , phonecalls , etc) to help this.

Dienekes.