RomanArmyTalk
Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May (/showthread.php?tid=12686)

Pages: 1 2

Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - John Conyard - 05-19-2008

On Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday there will be a major late Roman event at Lincoln Castle, within the old fortress. Comitatus will be displaying as the Equites Taifali with five horsemen, alongside the legionaries of the Praesidiensis with their artillery.

This will be the first public cavalry display of the season for the Tailfali. Today I enjoyed selecting the five horses to use. Some of the new horses need a few more weeks of training so we are going with experience for this weekend.

I hope there will be some great photos from this event. I'm really looking forward to it!

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Musivarius - 05-21-2008

John wrote; 'Some of the new horses need a few more weeks of training so we are going with experience for this weekend.
I hope there will be some great photos from this event.'

Knowing horses there could be some great photos coming out!
Good luck with the weekend, I'm sorry I can't get over to see it. It's great people are getting out with more than just 1 or 2 horses for a Roman event.
Have fun.
Lawrence

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - John Conyard - 05-22-2008

Cheers Lawrence,

The size of the arena can limit the number of horses. Five may be too many for Lincoln. We'll see. We have a few new training exercises to try out in public for the first time. They will either excite the crowd, or just look slow and boring. Time will tell.

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Salvianus - 05-26-2008

A couple of my faves from Sunday.

The cathedral makes a nice backdrop and even the court building has a fun fantasy element.

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Salvianus - 05-27-2008

A nice shot from the weekend: a fully equipped Late Roman eques, armed with lancea, spatha, bow, veruta and bucket for plumbata, protected by Duerne-copy galea, scale lorica, palma, ocrea and manica.

The whip is not actually used on the horse. Occasionally grooms:wink:

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-27-2008

The greaves bother the horse at all?

Looks pretty impressive to be sure!

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - John Conyard - 05-28-2008

I'm sorry to hear about the weather in Spain, we were lucky at Lincoln. The weekend was windy and the ladies in the camp were forever putting awnings back up. We had some rain one evening but the tents and the shelters protected us admirably. Otherwise the sun shone and we packed away dry.

In the end we put four horses in the arena. All the riders at the event performed in at least one show. A new Gothic impression looked very good. The annual pay parade was very special.

Over 1,900 people came to see us, which I suspect is average for the venue on the Bank Holiday. However it's a third of our August Bank Holiday audience at Sewerby Hall. The unjustified weather reports of impending rain may have put some off. We came back with sun tans.

We hope to go back to Lincoln in 2010 as part of the 410 anniversary tour.

The armour does not effect my mount. I have practiced in armour since I first started training him. I suspect he uses it to check out his hair cut. Things are not so shiny after horse sweat and saliva work their magic.

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Salvianus - 05-28-2008

Sextus and Theoderic showing some of the variety possible amongst lighter Late Roman Equites: Sextus holds the draco standard, and wears a scale gorget, palma and ocrea with his Duerne-copy galea.

Theoderic the Goth gives a more eastern impression, with a Der-el-Medinah copy galea, palma, spiculum and steppe saddle.

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Caballo - 05-28-2008

Superb- great pics!

I must take the opportunity to point out that Theoderic takes the steppe saddle with him everywhere. He even uses it as a pillow! He's rather fond of his trousers as well.

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-28-2008

Cheers John, I was just curious if the upper lip of the greave dug into him at all, I have the same ones I think, and the corner would seem to be in just the right position to dig in a bit..... 8)

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - aitor iriarte - 05-28-2008

You look really impressing, folks!! Confusedhock:
Where did you get your Deurne(s) from?

Aitor

Thank you for the comments. I didn't think much smart kit was on show. Our cavalry have the habit of shedding equipment as the show goes on.

Cezar is a friend who comes to stay. I saw the work that went into the first Deurne helm, and there are two copies in the group. They have both had modifications. The second one under campaign conditions this weekend, after the neck guard was ripped off.

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Salvianus - 05-28-2008

Four out of our five riders from the weekend, in a rare still moment together, in between being quite blurry :wink:

Re: Lincoln Castle, 25/26 May - Robert Vermaat - 05-29-2008

Oh! Very VERY nice pictures!!