RomanArmyTalk
Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? (/showthread.php?tid=12616)

Pages: 1 2

Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - jkaler48 - 05-12-2008

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to these?
I found that most posted prices are pretty steep:

Lion skin $7500.00
Black Bear $2500.00
Wolf $1100.00

I suppose at around $225.00 Coyote might pass for Wolf.

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Marcus Mummius - 05-12-2008

I sent you a PM, John :wink:

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Decimus Aurelius Varus - 05-12-2008

You could always go hunting yourself... you can test how a pila would measure up to a black bear! :lol:
I have not seen any hides/skins for much less. I would think that would be close to the norm, especially with lion.

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - jkaler48 - 05-12-2008

Quote:You could always go hunting yourself... you can test how a pila would measure up to a black bear! :lol:

Sure and for Grizzly Bear I'll take the whole century along for backup! :wink:

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-12-2008

You might want a skorpion for a Grizzly... Confusedhock:

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Marcus Mummius - 05-12-2008

Quote:You might want a skorpion for a Grizzly... Confusedhock:

I doubt if the poison would work fast enough! Tongue

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Decimus Aurelius Varus - 05-12-2008

Ya i can just see the headlines: "Roman Re Enactment Group destroys forest with balista and onagers. Grizzly Bear gets away"

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-13-2008

Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:s064o0xc Wrote:You might want a skorpion for a Grizzly... Confusedhock:

I doubt if the poison would work fast enough! Tongue

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Quote:Ya i can just see the headlines: "Roman Re Enactment Group destroys forest with balista and onagers. Grizzly Bear gets away"

:lol: :lol:

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - jkaler48 - 05-13-2008

It occurs to me one of the reasons Lions are a now a protected animal
and lion skins are hard to get is the the Romans used up all the Lions
in Europe, the Mideast and North Africa and but for the decline of the Games due to adoption of the Christian faith would probably got the rest of them in the south of Africa also. I wonder how many different species went extinct due to the Romans - The North African Elephant subspecies of Elephant is one.

They would only have seen them as predator, a dangerous one too.
I doubt christianity had much to do with the saving of the lions tho'!
Seems we managed to put quite a few species on the endangered list all on our own, with out any Games like the Roman ones.

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Libitina - 05-13-2008

I think someone on RAT might soon have some raccoon skins Big Grin

Quote:Ya i can just see the headlines: "Roman Re Enactment Group destroys forest with balista and onagers. Grizzly Bear gets away"

Great mental image :lol:

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - M. Demetrius - 05-13-2008

OR, Roman Re Enactment Group Devoured by Grizzly Bear. Historians puzzled over historicity of certain pieces of their equipment.

Re: Wolf Bear and Lion Skins alternatives? - Decimus Aurelius Varus - 05-13-2008

Yes its interesting to think of how many different species must have gone extinct or near extinction because of the Games. They brought animals from all over! If you look at some the meats they ate, (flamingos and peacocks) combined with the games, its surprising that there is anything left! :!:

Wolf, bear and Lion skins alternative - Vitruvius - 05-14-2008

And I hear the ghost of Augustus crying "jkaler48, give me back my legio!" Big Grin

Vitruvius
a.k.a. Larry Mager