RomanArmyTalk
Trip to Greece - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Trip to Greece (/showthread.php?tid=12464)

Pages: 1 2

Trip to Greece - taira1180 - 04-24-2008

So finally i'm going to Greece Big Grin . 2 days in Athens, and then 3 in Ioanina. I will rent a car in Ioanina, so anyone could tell me what i should visit? Monuments to visit, restaurants to eat, wines to drink?

Re: Trip to Greece - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-24-2008

Acropolis, War museum, Restaurants, that is subjective, as the yseem to change from year to year. Good ones are not too hard to find though.

Re: Trip to Greece - Jona Lendering - 04-24-2008

There are several roads to Yoannina, but if you can make a detour past Delphi, I'd take it.

Re: Trip to Greece - hoplite14gr - 04-24-2008

The Ioannina museum has exellent staff from Dodona na dif you can spare time visit the actual site. Pies in Northen Greece are excellent.
Try "kokorestsi" and rost goat if you do not limit yourself to pork and beef.
They also have nice trouts in Ioannina.
They have a nice sparkling wine called "Zitsa"
If you can spare time in Athens PM me.

If you want to try something different in wines try retsina.

Ah! Do not forget the best New Greek invention "Frape"

Best

Re: Trip to Greece - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-24-2008

Cold coffee....yes, that is a definate!

Re: Trip to Greece - Susanne - 04-24-2008

You should pop over to Poros and visit our excavation at the Poseidon sanctuary. Smile

Re: Trip to Greece - DanM - 04-24-2008

Gee, you're lucky. My parents don't think that's a good use of money. They'd rather take to a boring place like patagonia or mexico. And my sister is et on not going. Oh well. I'll proably live there.

Re: Trip to Greece - Jona Lendering - 04-27-2008

Quote:So finally i'm going to Greece Big Grin . 2 days in Athens, and then 3 in Ioanina. I will rent a car in Ioanina, so anyone could tell me what i should visit? Monuments to visit, restaurants to eat, wines to drink?
Almost forgot: Athens' Byzantine Museum!

Re: Trip to Greece - hoplite14gr - 04-27-2008

I forgot too Benaki Museum!
http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?id=20201 ... =0&lang=en
and as I said if you can spare time PM me
Best regards

Re: Trip to Greece - Memmia - 04-27-2008

Have a lovely time, I'm sure you will!
Smile

Re: Trip to Greece - taira1180 - 04-28-2008

Well, it's thanks to my wife, she is going to a congress in Ioannina. But there was a (happy Big Grin i will go to Greece again with my wife in July to another congress in Athens. So in this period, i will try to concentrate in Ioannina and the central Greece and leave Athens and the isles to latter (and yes, i'm planing to visit Delphi). Thanks for the invitation, Susan, i will be be very happy to go in July.
I like to try new foods, the only thing i refuse to eat is anything who is still alive.

Re: Trip to Greece - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-28-2008

Never saw anything in that category.... :?
Greek food it great! Big Grin 8)

Re: Trip to Greece - taira1180 - 04-28-2008

I have buy a guide, and i have a big list of dishes i want to eat. I just hope that my spelling isnt' to offensive :lol: .

Re: Trip to Greece - taira1180 - 05-13-2008

I have return from Greece. Before everything let me tell this:
1. Never travel with a hyperactive child, he will ruin your visits
2. Have a strict budget controll, avoiding the temptation to buy all the books you desire, and to eats lot's of dishes of the local cuisine, forcing you to eat after in Mc Donalds, to recover the financial loss, but letting you sick .
After this: I loved Greece. I wasn't abble to see much in Athens (i was just one day). I saw the Parthenon, one of my dreams, but the museum was closed. I eated in plaka, i saw several churches, the university. What fascinated me, was, the intensive life of the city in the streets, even at late night, and the joy of the population.
In the second day, i travelled to Ioanina by car. It's only 430 Km, but in the mountains, it took much more time then i expected.
I saw Dodoni, (my 3 year son liked so much for all the bugs he saw, that i had to bring him screaming, since he didn't wanted to leave the place). I was in the place where Ali Pasha died (i wanted to see the local, since in my childhood i readed the count of monte Cristo from Alexander Dumas)
I was very lucky with the weather, it was excelent (25º C + /-). Unfortunely i wasn't abble to see much more (see point 1), and i was plagued with stomach problems (see point 2).
Almost everyone knows english, but i didn't had problems to comunicate with those who didn't: using smiles, sign hands and grunts are excelents substitutes.
Driving was an adventure at the beggining, but after some time i was adapted: respect the other drivers but not the formal rules, is the true rule.
There was much more to tell, but i still need to rest (i arrive yesterday, and only sleeped 3 hours).
I am anxious to return in July!

Re: Trip to Greece - Jona Lendering - 05-13-2008

Quote:I read the count of monte Cristo from Alexander Dumas
An excellent reason to visit Ioannina!