RomanArmyTalk
Honoring soldiers as human beings - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Honoring soldiers as human beings (/showthread.php?tid=12293)

Pages: 1 2

Honoring soldiers as human beings - sophus_tree - 04-08-2008

Hey Everyone,

Though I can't say exactly why now, I was recently moved to honor the real soldiers in our groups.

Though I happen to live in America, this is not a statement one way or the other about American policy. It is simply an acknowledgement of soldiers as human beings.

Regardless of one's political views, these individuals have put more on the line than most of us, in order to matter in ways aligned with their highest values. Their life choices affect us all.

I am not an artist, and I have less musical talent in my whole body than most have in their little finger. What I can do is make web-pages.

So I made this: [url:krvk921y]http://www.theromanway.org/LegioX/tribute/[/url]

Does anyone know if other legions have done this on their web-pages?

If so, can you post the link? I think it would be nice to add.

-M

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - Robert Vermaat - 04-08-2008

Quote:So I made this: [url:2ai4aiac]http://www.legionten.org/tribute/[/url]

The page seems unable to open?

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 04-08-2008

Indeed.

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - jvrjenivs - 04-08-2008

Here it works well, but it's a redirect page.
You could visit it direct at
[url:1nktwcm7]http://www.theromanway.org/LegioX/tribute/[/url]

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - Robert Vermaat - 04-08-2008

Quote:Though I can't say exactly why now, I was recently moved to honor the real soldiers in our groups.

It's a nice page and a great gesture, but actually i would advise against this.

a) It may not be wise to use their real names, I thought it was 'not done' to divulge any information about the military.

b) Although I agree that these men deserve their due praise, there are other professions that also deserve such praise (police, fire dept., others) and somehow singling out the military seems not OK to me. But that's just personal.

Thanks - sophus_tree - 04-08-2008

Thanks for the post to the re-direct, Jurjen. Big Grin I don't know why that DNS sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's weird.

Robert, I asked for permission from all these folks before I put up the page. I'll check in with them again, but they were OK with it.

Your point is well taken about the many service professions which deserve equal praise--I would add teachers, counselors and the like to your list.

Since our group is a Legion, representing soldiers, I figured those among us who are soldiers for real seemed like a natural fit for this.

I never knew any soldiers before I got into this hobby, and used to see them as faceless automotons doing the mindless bidding of powerful masters. Through my Roman activities, I have developed some wonderful friendships with folks who are active duty military and that growth in my own understanding has been really nourishing for me.

I think it was that realization which gave me the idea to support my friends who are in dark places right now.

I'll repeat this is in no way a statement about my feelings regarding current American foreign policy. I realize it might run the risk of looking so, but that is not the case. These are men with families who are my friends. That's all.

Thanks for your thoughts. Smile

-M

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 04-08-2008

I think its a decent idea.

Im surprised to see how many ''high ranking'' officers enjoy roman re-enactment.

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 04-08-2008

I personally think it's a good idea, but I'm afraid that some people who see these guys wearing imperial armour won't necesserally think of them as the nice guy next door.
Quote:Im surprised to see how many ''high ranking'' officers enjoy roman re-enactment.
... probably the most high rankng contubernium ever Big Grin ... five officers vs. one seaman ... poor lad ;-) )

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - Salvianus - 04-08-2008

While I feel such a page would be inappropriate for my own group and I suspect politics is bound to be attached to the idea despite all intentions, I can understand the sentiment behind your gesture.

Playing soldier has only increased my respect for my re-enactment comrades who have and still do put themselves in harms way in uniforms of various types as well as for those whose clothes we imitate. Whatever colour they really were.

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - Memmia - 04-08-2008

I think it's a wonderful tribute to these brave men, Michael. After all too, the modern military is the living legacy of the ancient 'organised' armies- even the word 'military' is derived from the Latin for soldier :wink: 8)
Laudes.
I can understand some people's concerns about personal details of these servicemen being made public- there is always the chance some brainless coward out there may target them or their families. It's happened here in the UK a couple of times, I'm ashamed to say Cry

Honouring Soldiers as Human Beings - Paullus Scipio - 04-08-2008

Assuming security of the men is not an issue, Michael, I think it is a great idea to remind society of who is 'on the line', prepared to make that ultimate sacrifice for their safety.

In our Western societies, there has always been that tendency to see soldiers as the tools of oppression and tyranny, and therefore something to be ashamed of (WW1 and WW2 excepted, when the democracies needed them to save the very fabric of their societies).
Rudyard Kipling put it well, when talking of Queen Victoria's Soldiers...

Tommy
by Rudyard Kipling (1865– 1936)

Notes:
"Tommy Atkins," or just "Tommy," is the nick-name popularly given to the typical British soldier.
red-coat -- soldier (they used to wear red coats)
public-house -- a pub, drinking house
publican -- the pub owner
stalls -- best seats near the stage
blackguards -- villains,ruffians (pronounced "blaggards")
the Widow -- Queen Victoria

"I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees! "

Re: Honouring Soldiers as Human Beings - Jona Lendering - 04-08-2008

Quote:Assuming security of the men is not an issue, Michael, I think it is a great idea to remind society of who is 'on the line', prepared to make that ultimate sacrifice for their safety.
I fully agree with this.

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - Memmia - 04-08-2008

Paullus Scipio wrote:
Quote:Tommy
by Rudyard Kipling (1865– 1936)

Nothing changes.... :roll:

Thanks for posting that, Paul. Smile

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - scythius - 04-08-2008

Quote:Hey Everyone,

Though I can't say exactly why now, I was recently moved to honor the real soldiers in our groups.

Snip~

Does anyone know if other legions have done this on their web-pages?

If so, can you post the link? I think it would be nice to add.

-M

Nice looking page. We have had a page for our active and retired military members in the past, and I'm thinking I'd like to put a new one up.

We have a few active Marines, who asked that we 'sanitize' their bios (i.e. removing their modern names, et cetera) before they deployed to Iraq - this was a directive from their chain of command that the folks try to minimize their 'footprint' on the net.

This was mostly to protect their families from possible harassment, as I recall.

Re: Honoring soldiers as human beings - caiusbeerquitius - 04-09-2008

The last post in this thread was removed, since RAT is not the place to demand other people being killed. If you have such extreme views and no respect for the legal systems of the western world, please refrain from expressing them here, since such statements may have negative consequences for RAT. Since we don´t want that, we´ve set up certain forum rules, one of them telling you not to discuss modern politics / religion. Maybe it is not clear to everyone that politics are not made only by politicians. If this thread shall continue, the forum rules should be followed very closely.