RomanArmyTalk
Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car (/showthread.php?tid=12258)

Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Libitina - 04-04-2008

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... tor203.xml

:?

Not sure what the black face paint was for!

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - jvrjenivs - 04-04-2008

Where is that gladiator impression based on? I didn't know that type of gladiator armor. Big Grin

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Libitina - 04-04-2008

Quote:Where is that gladiator impression based on? I didn't know that type of gladiator armor. Big Grin

Ah, it's a special type which was only worn by moronic drink and drive Romans!

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - A_Volpe - 04-04-2008

skirt?

what, was the tunic too short? :twisted:

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - M. Demetrius - 04-04-2008

They probably didn't know how to spell Pteruges...pteryges...uh, ptyreugeuses. Yeah, that's why they just said, "skirt".

:wink: :lol: :roll:

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Doc - 04-04-2008

Yes, it is really interesting gladiator armor :roll:

However, let us not be so quick in becoming critical as to where the armor is from or based on since in this case it is not applicable. We cannot critisize, ridicule or otherwise say anything about the armor.

A costume (which is the operational word here) is not a fully functional piece of armor. It is for fun and thus we must distinguish what is the purpose; If someone wears a movie prop to a living history event, then I say fine, give the person an ear full. But as the article points out, this was a party. So we cannot make historical comments. If you go to a business party and everyone is going to get drunk and wild, you would not wear your squamata (at least I would not; I would rent a roman movie prop).

It is the same thing about Hollywood movies. No one but us cares about the accuracy. The fancy or fantasy like equipment is used for a visual stimulus to instill an effect on the person observing. I too look at movies and say to myself what everyone on RAT says. Again, our purpose and their purpose is different leading to different opinions.

Paolo

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - NightHunter24 - 04-05-2008

[quote]He looked, said the officer, “like the cartoon character Wile E Coyoteâ€

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - jvrjenivs - 04-05-2008

Sorry Paolo, but as this is the off-topic section, I mostly don't make that serious replies as on the rest of the forum. And so do others. So I think most post on the armor of this guy which was just visising a constumed party is indeed a costume, and we all know. It's just funny to argue about it, as it was a real (try for a) reproduction Big Grin

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Libitina - 04-05-2008

Quote:Sorry Paolo, but as this is the off-topic section, I mostly don't make that serious replies as on the rest of the forum. And so do others. So I think most post on the armor of this guy which was just visising a constumed party is indeed a costume, and we all know. It's just funny to argue about it, as it was a real (try for a) reproduction Big Grin

Yes "off topic" and "serious" rarely go together :lol:

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Doc - 04-05-2008

This is one of the problems with writing things on the internet. One person reads it one way, while another reads it in a different manner.

I may have misunderstood your comment so I apologize.

Paolo

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - M. Demetrius - 04-05-2008

Now wait a minute. His armor was real. Otherwise, it would be imaginary, and the camera would not have picked it up, showing...well...you know.
:?
Then we would have seen how far the blackish spray paint went, and might have frightened some of the ladies. :lol: :lol: Confusedhock:

Re: Drunk Gladiator Crashes Car - Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs - 04-05-2008

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: