RomanArmyTalk
need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment (/showthread.php?tid=12046)

Pages: 1 2

need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - petrinus - 03-12-2008

writing fact based fiction, really want to nail it, can anybody help? thanks

Re: need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - Matthew Amt - 03-12-2008

Considering how little we know of the *infantry* equipment from that era, my guess is that the big difference would be the horse! As I recall, early Greek cavalry didn't carry shields, though I don't know if that applied in Italy as well. Otherwise, probably the same sort of stuff. Horses would most likely be reserved for the aristocracy, so you'd see a higher proportion of armor than among the lower classes. Probably.

Vale,

Matthew

Re: need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - petrinus - 03-12-2008

i thought with the size of roman horses(ponies) that cav wore lighter armor, leather, padded and the like with plume helmets and round shields? now they wouldnt carry spear or pila ...or would they?, and what of the sword, gladii too short to use well from a horse right and the spatha is what 2nd-3rd century common use or there about. hmmm a lil help

& century Roman Cavalry - Paullus Scipio - 03-12-2008

Well, since there are no depictions this early, we are in the realms of pure speculation!
At a guess, they might be like Etruscans ( the dominant culture in the area at the time) - definitely no shield, helmet, little or no body armour, spear or javelin armed.....

Re: need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - Tarbicus - 03-12-2008

http://hoplitikon.com/GREEK%20ART/greek%20cavalry.jpg

Actually a Spartan cavalryman, painted by Johnny Shumate, but possibly with a petasos hat made of felt.

To give more of a feel for it, this might be of some use.

Another taster here.

Re: need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - petrinus - 03-12-2008

so if i armed them with spears, put them in a simple leather cuirass or padded armor like unto subarmilis maybe? with plumed brass helms, sagums, tunica, sword belt with a sword predating the gladius this might be....agreeable?

and yes the story is very much an interaction between tyrrhenia and ruma

Re: need advised on 7th century bc pre republic cav equipment - Tarbicus - 03-12-2008

Quote:put them in a simple leather cuirass or padded armor like unto subarmilis maybe?
No. Wrong. No leather cuirass, and probably no helmet. Read Paul's post again.

no helmets? really? so the roman cav had then no protection what so ever? would a padded type armor as i suggested be likely or acceptable?
and what woul the sword type be? would the spears really be so long? i see that as very encumbering. i would think being an equestrian myself that several short spears carried with a small shield would provemore useful....and a helmet would make sense but if history elludes to flowery hats, i'll take it under advisement.

actualy pauls post reads.....speculation. and little to no armor, so a cuirass could be worn ....couldnt it? maybe not like the late republic early empire style but the early samnite plate with strap variety mayhaps? and why no helmet...i really will need this one answered more thoroughly.

It wasn't a flowery hat, it was a petasos. Otherwise, no helmet at all. Bear in mind this is the same period as the Greek archaic period, and the century that the Greeks invented their coinage. Only the previous century Roma consisted of huts on the Palatine hill.

Look, at the end of the day it's your novel. I posted links to literature on the subject earlier. Here's another, it's worth reading.

And here's another one from the same book.

this is the same period that rome mints its first copper coin as well. and the forum is erected a result of romes trade(etruscan influenced market square) a lot happend in this century including the circus maximus. are there any examples of known roman military equipment from this era?

i appreciate and am evaluating your posts, honestly, i didnt ask for advice to ignore it, im just trying to source it as such. what is a petasos exactly can you describe it?

petasos....seems it is a floppy(like a droopy flower) hat, similar to a hippy hat, and was worn by farmers. the mark of rural men in ancient greece and latin lands. hardly the mark of men of horse rank dont you think?

I'd suggest buying a couple of books on the subject.

ive bought several (on already authored portions of my work, hence the knowledge base on the timeline) but this area is so vague, the books you linked are detailing 300 to 100 bc and i need the 7th century. but atleast give a start point, i may have to pick them up when money allows. i suppose for now i will write in a temporay description and adjust it as source material is illuminated. thanks for the recommend.