RomanArmyTalk
My new sagum - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: My new sagum (/showthread.php?tid=11849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

My new sagum - John M McDermott - 02-20-2008

I have one from Holger Ratsdorf, and I liked it so much that I made another myself. The fabric is from Cezary, and the tablet weave by Liz Cowley.

[Image: DSC01483.jpg]

Re: My new sagum - Marcus Mummius - 02-20-2008

Looks great! Cezary's fabric is fantastic.

Vale,

Re: My new sagum - John M McDermott - 02-20-2008

[Image: DSC01480.jpg]

It is the red diamond weave.

Re: My new sagum - Marcus Mummius - 02-20-2008

Quote:[Image: DSC01480.jpg]

It is the red diamond weave.

I have a tunic in red diamond weave from Cezary (I bought white diamond and dyed it with madder).

I don't have such nice sagum though!

Vale,

Thanks for the praise. The trick is the tablet weave and bringing them together.

Re: My new sagum - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-20-2008

That is pretty nice john! Pretty unique!
You say Holger does clothing too? Tunics?

Re: My new sagum - rusty myers - 02-20-2008

Do you have a closeup of the fringe? How did you do it? I am working on a new sagum now myself and have held off on the fringing. The weave is to tight to fringe it naturally.

Re: My new sagum - jvrjenivs - 02-20-2008

Awesome! Well done.

Quote:You say Holger does clothing too? Tunics?
He did a sagum, and, that's all I know of.

Quote:Do you have a closeup of the fringe? How did you do it? I am working on a new sagum now myself and have held off on the fringing. The weave is to tight to fringe it naturally
I can take one. The fringe is part of the tablet weave and was done by Liz Cowley. One row has blue fringe and one row yellow. It was necessary to vary the tablet weave slightly to achieve the different color fringe.

Re: My new sagum - PhilusEstilius - 02-20-2008

All you need now John is a nice Trumpet Brooch, that would set it all off real good.

Re: My new sagum - Doc - 02-21-2008

John,

Is there any evidence for having a border around the edge prior to the fringes.

Paolo

Re: My new sagum - John M McDermott - 02-21-2008

Quote:Is there any evidence for having a border around the edge prior to the fringes.

The Thorsberg sagum had tablet weaving. It is considered by some sources to be the finest example of a sagum. Though found in a North German bog, it is believed by many that Roman troops would have owned similar sagums.

Re: My new sagum - Doc - 02-21-2008

John,

Do you or does anyone for that matter have a photo or picture of the
Thorsberg sagum.

Thanks

Paolo

Re: My new sagum - Magnus - 02-21-2008

Some cloaks were found to have paint residue on the edge. Read it in Sumner's Roman Military Clothing Volume 1.

Re: My new sagum - John M McDermott - 02-21-2008

Quote:Do you or does anyone for that matter have a photo or picture of the Thorsberg sagum.

I have never been able to find one. Many articles were found in the bog, including a tunic/shirt with tablet weaving, for which there is a pix.

There are apparently published specifications on the sagum's tablet weave, however.