RomanArmyTalk
Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 (/showthread.php?tid=11459)

Pages: 1 2

Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Neuraleanus - 01-09-2008

I think that I've finally got it:

[Image: mainzcaligapattern3small_157.jpg]

Again, this design is a composite of several existing caligae, but I think that I've captured the essential features. By removing the forth pair of straps, as seen on the B&C pattern, I made room for a more sloping pair of heel straps, like is seen on many examples. The heel straps come just a bit further forward than the ones on the Valkenburg pattern, but I think that is as they should be for the Mainz variant. From a paper mock-up of my previous pattern I realized that the toe straps need to be quite long. All of the straps marked with a 1 come together at the cross placed in-between the center most straps.

I drew this pattern for my feet, which are somewhat narrow, a C width, so guys with wider feet will need to widen the pattern. What is the consensus?

Martin Moser, what do you think? - Neuraleanus - 01-15-2008

about this pattern? I made a last minute change by decreasing the curvature of the front of the heel straps and widening them by 1/8 inch forward. As I said, all of the front straps should come together at the cross indicated on the pattern.

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Martin Moser - 01-15-2008

Good work, Lee! I would however do away with the small triangular cutout at the front/top left (or make it a lot more longish). I don't think I have ever seen anything like that with finds.

Modified caliga pattern - Neuraleanus - 01-15-2008

With a few changes:
[Image: mainzcaligapattern3bsmall_187.jpg]

I widened and lengthened the triangular cutout at the toe and decreased the curvature of the front of the heel straps. I also widened the heel straps a bit to move them further forward.

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Martin Moser - 01-15-2008

Looking forward to see the result! :-) )

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Matt Lukes - 01-16-2008

Making the first four straps on the outer edge singles and not the usual pairs meeting at an apex is an interesting variation Lee- is there an original example that actually has them this way?

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Martin Moser - 01-16-2008

Quote:Making the first four straps on the outer edge singles and not the usual pairs meeting at an apex is an interesting variation Lee- is there an original example that actually has them this way?

Did you ever take a closer look at my caliga how-to, Matt? ;-) )

Yes, there is - Neuraleanus - 01-16-2008

Quote:Making the first four straps on the outer edge singles and not the usual pairs meeting at an apex is an interesting variation Lee- is there an original example that actually has them this way?
The unfolded caliga drawing in B&C:
[Image: bandcfig064patternonlysmall_154.gif]

I believe that there should be another strap on the toe opposite these four straps.

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Matt Lukes - 01-16-2008

I guess not close enough Martin LOL

And ah, yes, I'd not had too close a look at that diagram before. I'd think you're right that there's one strap missing, and I do wonder whether those 4 singles are actually just two normal pairs, broken at the apex...

Maybe - Neuraleanus - 01-17-2008

But the Valkenburg/Castleford pattern clearly shows four single straps on one side of the toe with another single strap opposite.

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Marcus Iulius Chattus - 01-17-2008

Salvete.
@ Neuraleanus. Your Caligae-Pattern is really great Big Grin .
I can`t make anything like this, but one of `my` Soldiers is shoemaker! I built him a new flat shield and he make me for the shield a pair of the Mainz Caligae! If they are finished, i put some pictures on this site to show them you.
Do you know from the book (`Die Mainzer Lederfunde`) about the leather finds at Mainz? There are lots of different Caligaes and sole patterns in there (and Tegimenti and tentleathers and much more!).

I wait eagarly for your pictures - Neuraleanus - 01-18-2008

Quote:Do you know from the book (`Die Mainzer Lederfunde`) about the leather finds at Mainz? There are lots of different Caligaes and sole patterns in there (and Tegimenti and tentleathers and much more!).
I have not seen this book. I've based this pattern upon pictures and I'm still adjusting the pattern. The more information that I can get the better.

A few more, and hopefully final, alterations - Neuraleanus - 01-18-2008

I cannot leave well enough alone.

[Image: mainzcaligapattern3csmall_169.jpg]

Changes:

1. I drew in the changes to the toe and heel straps
2. I redrew the last side straps to make them more symmetrical
3. I widened the top most ankle strap so that the height matched what I obtained with the Valkenburg/Castleford pattern

Partially assembled caliga - Neuraleanus - 02-13-2008

With the edge seam done and a first adjustment to the straps to see how it's going to look:

[Image: mockup01_577.jpg]

Despite the V-shaped toe strap being a bit too long, my foot is securely held in place.

Re: Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 - Magnus - 02-13-2008

Good heel area Lee....