RomanArmyTalk
Romans and Roos - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Romans and Roos (/showthread.php?tid=10897)

Pages: 1 2

Romans and Roos - M. Demetrius - 11-07-2007

But of course, the Romans never saw a kangaroo, right?

Re: Romans and Roos - Matt Lukes - 11-09-2007

Quote:But of course, the Romans never saw a kangaroo, right?

Bingo :wink:

Quote:Kangaroo hide isn't that hard to acquire where I live. Best leather I ever saw. Nike purchased a specific permit to cull a pile of kangaroos for one of their top range football boots.

No, I would imagine not- but here all our 'roos are in zoos Big Grin Hides can probably be obtained here in North America too, but I expect it'd be on the expensive side. I know I've seen spooled Kangaroo leather lacing. But there's really no need- cowhide does just fine and would be a historically-accurate choice.

Re: Romans and Roos - Robert Vermaat - 11-09-2007

Quote:
M. Demetrius:3d5gv3c6 Wrote:But of course, the Romans never saw a kangaroo, right?
Bingo :wink: .
Prove it. :lol: Rome had a zoo, right? :wink:

Re: Romans and Roos - M. Demetrius - 11-09-2007

Can't prove it, but don't you think some vertically challenged slave might have had to fight with one in the arena? That would have been documented, I'd reckon. And Australia is a mighty long way from Italy in an open boat.

Re: Romans and Roos - Matt Lukes - 11-09-2007

How about the other way Robert- prove the Romans actually made to Australia- Africa was just across Their Sea, so no big deal to get exotic animals that way, but Australia? :lol:

Re: Romans and Roos - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-09-2007

Well, guess they did make it to america then? :lol:

Re: Romans and Roos - M. Demetrius - 11-09-2007

Of course they made it to Texas. How do you think that Parthenon got built in Nashville Tennessee? And the Stonehenge built in Hunt, Tx?

And anyway, there really is a Rome, Texas, so that's proof enough for Erik von Danikken. Also an Athens, a Paris, and a Moscow. See? That means the Romans made it to Russia, too, somewhere along the way. Boy, this is too easy! 8) :?

Re: Romans and Roos - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-10-2007

And you always thought you needed a PHD to invent...er I mean study history!! :wink:

Re: Romans and Roos - Marcus Julius - 11-14-2007

Quote:Of course they made it to Texas. How do you think that Parthenon got built in Nashville Tennessee? And the Stonehenge built in Hunt, Tx?

Dude? The Romans built Stonehenge, too? Crap, I really should have stayed awake in my history classes! :oops:

Re: Romans and Roos - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-14-2007

And the great wall of china.......and hoover dam :lol:

Re: Romans and Roos - Robert Vermaat - 11-14-2007

Quote:How about the other way Robert- prove the Romans actually made to Australia- Africa was just across Their Sea, so no big deal to get exotic animals that way, but Australia? :lol:

Ah, so this isn't a real Roman artefact? I'm heartbroken. Big Grin

[Image: kangaroo.jpg]

Re: Romans and Roos - Wes - 11-14-2007

ROFLMAO!!!

Re: Romans and Roos - Magnus - 11-14-2007

BAHAHAHAH!

Re: Romans and Roos - Memmia - 11-14-2007

Of course the Romans had kangaroos!

They also had cockatiels in cages too, also from Australia.

Well they popped up in HBO's Rome anyhow! (First series) :wink: Big Grin

Re: Romans and Roos - Robert Vermaat - 11-14-2007

Don't tell me you haven't heard of the 'Llama of Troy'!!

[Image: 180px-Trojan_horse_%C3%87anakkale.jpg]

Besides, this mosaic from Siscily CLEARLY proves that the Romans knew kangaroos!! Well, us Late Romans only of course. :wink:

[Image: kangaroo_armerina.jpg]