RomanArmyTalk
PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... (/showthread.php?tid=10864)

Pages: 1 2

PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-03-2007

I never pay much attention to it, but there is one bronze conical helmet in my town´s armoury Museum, dated V Cent. B.C. Probably bought to an anticuarian, so it may be untraceable or a fake, but when I can have some photos, I´ll send them to you. It´s likely it came from an early century private collection, as the most part of the museum. Usually they have only three or four lines of profile. :? and most of the atributions and datations of the museums are dubious...
if someone can give me photos of drawings of this sort of helmets I´ll be able to identify it (Unable by the moment, my search had not results...).

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Decebalus - 11-04-2007

I'm curious to see photos of the helmet Tongue

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-05-2007

Well, this is a sketch:
It´s plain, with two holes at the left and two on the right.It´s symetrical from left to right but not back /ahead (I´m not very sure what´s what still)

Not the "bent" part. It goes down and then curves outwards a while, and then goes upwards, all in a single curve, not going inside, or benting down before finishing, as the example. It´s just like the drawing (Paintbrush!) that´s all i can say. This week I´ll try to take some photos of it (and the assirian, etruscan and roman section...I hope you´ll find some of interest. perhaps I´ll post them in a off-topic or Rome´s enemies post, only for the museum´s photos.)

[size=200:glp4horw]Bingo![/size]

Yes, with, two little holes at the sides, I suppose for fastening (mmm. I´m not sure about this word.Thing-to-tie-yourself-to-your-helmet, as Leonardo of Quirm would have say...)

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-06-2007

Yes! Much like the same...

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Mythos_Ruler - 11-06-2007

Blech! Pilos helmets... fugly as all get out. Wink

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Susanne - 11-06-2007

I fail to see what was so exciting about this kind of helmet, other than it was reasonably inexpensive to produce in a massive scale.

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - john m roberts - 11-07-2007

I vote we name this one the Chico Marx hat.

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-07-2007

I was in doubt between Sancho Panza and Chico´s hats...

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-07-2007

I think the poor period of Spartan warfare should be banned from re-enactment....... :twisted: :lol:

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-08-2007

This is the museum´s "profile" of this helmet: :evil:

Quote:From the auction at SOTHEBY in London, 26 Nov 1969.
Greek conical bronze helmet.
In good conditions.
Chronology: V cent. BC

If anyone has the profile from that auction, or where I can found it, thanks! :?

Photos will come when I found the memory card adaptor or the wire of the camera, what happens first... :oops:

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-25-2007

Here (at last) the photos!
Helmet from Alava´s Armoury Museum (Vitoria, Spain)
I havent got more info avalaible, sorry. Camera is old only 1.3 Mp :oops:

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Vishtaspa - 11-25-2007

Very interesting (though ugly).
Can you tell me the direction or web of this Armoury Museum? perhaps, when I come to Vitoria, i'll see it.

In the archeological museum of Madrid there is good material too, last time I saw a good collection of greek vase painting and a well conserved Bell Cuirass.

Regards

Re: PHOTOS-One more helmet for the database... - Iagoba - 11-25-2007

Big Grin of course!

+ info of the museum

It´s in English, so the rest of the people at RAT can use it, OK?

Sadly, this is one of the best info on Internet about it... Cry