RomanArmyTalk
Alexander the Great Illustration - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Alexander the Great Illustration (/showthread.php?tid=10721)

Pages: 1 2 3

Alexander the Great Illustration - Johnny Shumate - 10-15-2007

Here is Alexander wearing the armour described by Plutarch.
Enjoy..!
Johnny
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/j ... ginal.aspx

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-15-2007

Eh-gads! Confusedhock: The poor leopard he is riding has a horse's head growing out of his back!! Tongue

Nice work again Johnny! Nice to see him in something different!

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-15-2007

Excellent again! I was waiting to see his face.You know,we all have a general impression of how Alexander looked like.All his statues have some common characteristics. I'm glad to see your's is one of the most realistic ones!
And the helmet is specially imagined for that,ahowing the whole face.Based on Philip's partly,and with Thracian cheak guards...is it based on anything else?
The cuirass,ok,the classical one shown on the mosaic,interesting that it has iron fittings...I bet to fit with the rest of the equipment.I like the decoration of the gorgon head with the prescious stones,if my eyes do not fool me.
The sword hilt is based I supposed on the mosaic?May I note that usually the hilt matched with the scabard guard.For examble,most of those i've seen in museums are all iron.Few are bronze(and I plea for any photos of bronze xiphos hilts and scabard guards) and many in the time of Alexander had ivory hilts and ivory scabard guards.This is the case in Philip's sword,in those hunting scene mosaics and also in the Alexander mosaic all scabards shown(I remember three) have ivory fittings.
Congratulations Johny!Appart from Plutarch and the Alexander Mosaic for the various details,did you use any other sources?
Khaire and Laudes
Giannis

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - hoplite14gr - 10-15-2007

It may well have been Alexander in his Indian campaign.
Good incorporation of "asiatic" items in his gear.
Nice work Johhny.

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Ioannis - 10-15-2007

Beautiful artwork as usual!

Smile

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Kallimachos - 10-15-2007

What else can I add.....? It's always great to enjoy your artwork and I like it a lot.

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Mythos_Ruler - 10-15-2007

Know what? I think the best part about it is the horse's face! Great work!

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Paullus - 10-15-2007

Fantastic work Johnny Big Grin Bucephalus is going full out.

I'm suprirsed that more artists haven't done Alexander according to Plutarch's description.

Well,Plutarch's description can be interpreted in many ways,can't it? For example,the quilted linothorax could have any shape you can imagine.And if you believe some members that the common linothorax was quilted,then it could have been like any other Greek or Persian linothorax.The iron helmet...Connolly-and after him many others- has painted the lion head helmet iron and also put on it two white bushy feather crests...After a long discussion Johny concluded in this one,that is not necessarilly the only one possible.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Mythos_Ruler - 10-15-2007

My major criticism of this work is that the colors of the fabrics seem way too saturated and exaggerated. I prefer his more "photorealistic" works to this one.

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Apollodoros - 10-15-2007

Very nice work.

Hey,Gabriel,wellcome on board!Hey Johny...keep up with these paintings!You're attracting new members :lol:

Re: Alexander the Great Illustration - Apollodoros - 10-15-2007

Thanks, i have been reading the posts for a few months now. Thinking of trying my hand at making a Linothorax (glued). Lots of info to sift threw, but i'm enjoying reading it all and learning.

re - Johnny Shumate - 10-15-2007

Thanks for all the comments!
The helmet is based on this one from Macedonia:

And also from the famous coin.
Johnny

Right,thanks.Hey I had never seen that helmet!The third example of a Philip's-like helmet.Just this one is bronze while the other two are iron.
Khaire
Giannis