RomanArmyTalk
Visiting Italy - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Visiting Italy (/showthread.php?tid=10414)

Visiting Italy - Lothia - 09-07-2007

Ave Civitas,

I will be visiting Italy during the second week of March.

I am writing a novel set during the last years of Constantine I and those who followed him.

I want to gather as much information about what it was like to be a Roman Soldier and what it was like to be a Roman Citizen during that period.

I hope to walk and touch and taste as much Roman and Native Italian as I can during my week there.

So, I have questions which I hope someone can help with.

1. Where would be the best places to visit for a one-day stop?

2. Without using an auto, what is the best (cheapest - most comfortable - most dependable ) mode of moving from one place in Italy to another?

3. Staying in a One or two star hotel and eating frugally, what can I expect to spend per day (and are weekends different from week days)?

Thanks a lot. I do appreciate your help.
Tom.
PS. What is the best beer?

Re: Visiting Italy - jvrjenivs - 09-08-2007

In the area of Rome the best way to move is by Train and Underground. Last holiday I was on a campsite between Napoli and Rome (Formia) and we just got a day-ticket for both the train to Rome and the underground busses etc of whole te area for just Euro 11.50. (imagine that the train ride itself was about 2 hours/150 km)

I know that going by Train from Firenze to Rome is some more expensive.

Re: Visiting Italy - Mauritius - 09-08-2007

Would suggest bed and breakfast staying just on fringe of Sorrento then jumping onto train to Pompeii and Herculean take a backpack with lunch and wine and just wander off the main tourist route to the back of the ruins

Thanks - Lothia - 09-09-2007

Ave Civitas,

Thanks for the information. I will see if there is a map of the subway for Rome on the internet. I am sure there is.

Does anyone know of any re-constructed sites that I might visit? Somewhere where I could get a view of what a soldier might see in or around Rome?

Lothia,

Re: Visiting Italy - M.H. White - 09-10-2007

Go to the Forum Romanum. Start at Constantine's arch, walk all the way up the Via Sacra to the Capitoline. Go at a time of day when its unlikely to be crowded (not sure what that would be, but you should have better luck in march than I did in July/ November.) Doing this, its not so hard to imagine you're in a triumphal procession.

Re: Thanks - jvrjenivs - 09-10-2007

Quote:Does anyone know of any re-constructed sites that I might visit? Somewhere where I could get a view of what a soldier might see in or around Rome?

Note that Armed soldiers aren't allowed into the City. When the empire becomes bigger most of the soldiers even don't come near the city in their whole lifetime.

Re: Visiting Italy - Lothia - 09-17-2007

Ave Civitas,

Your idea of visiting Pompeii is good. I had not thought of that, but it would give me a good idea of the sizes of Roman Civilian homes, the width of streets (not the ones widened for motor traffic).

jvrjenivs, thanks for the tip on using the underground. I hope, and assume, that I don't have to learn Italian to navigate within the cities. I knew of the restriction about no armed soldiers within the city (Alaric must have not read that part, :lol: ) That restriction did not apply to Constantinopolis. I wonder why not?

Mr. White, thanks for the itinerary around the city of Rome. I will definately do that.

Re: Visiting Italy - jvrjenivs - 09-17-2007

Quote:Your idea of visiting Pompeii is good.

Then you could also, visit Ostia. You can go to ostia by underground (station Ostia antica) and there're less tourists. I personally like Herculaneum very well, but its harder to get there by public transport and is a lot smaller than Pompeii.

Re: Visiting Italy - Jeroen Pelgrom - 09-17-2007

Quote:Then you could also, visit Ostia

Visit Ostia! Its a half hour trip with the train. Take the whole day for your trip and buy a good plan of the town before starting.

Ostia Antica will give you a good idea of a roman harbour town (lots of storage buildings, flats and baths)

here is a good website of Ostia:
www.ostia-antica.org/

Re: Visiting Italy - Lothia - 09-18-2007

Ave Civitas,

Thanks for the note on Ostia. I had forgotten about the port in laying out my itenerary. I will have to add it. I don't know now if a week will be enough time. I may have to extend it for ten days.

Thanks for your help.

Lothia.