RomanArmyTalk
Show here your gladiator impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Combat Sports (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Show here your gladiator impression (/showthread.php?tid=10185)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Olaf - 05-22-2008

Back to the topic, here are some pics the press did at our Training Weekend in Xanten back in april.
As we did only training and the weather was quite cold at that weekend we opted to train in tunics:

[url:2wgguejj]http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/staedte/rheinberg/2008/4/13/news-37504063/detail.html[/url]

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs - 05-22-2008

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Olaf - 05-23-2008

Since Wolf edited his post I would still like to debate my point on the possibility metal manica existing in a gladiatorial context.

Second, the metal manica debate is not even resolved amongst the scholars and I wont argue against either Connoly nor Junkelmann, but if you have the new edition of Junkelmann, you might want to look up page 203 and 204 where even Junkelmann admits that a segmented metal arm guard over cloth padding can not be discounted.
Picture 343 on page 203 actualy depicts such a construction worn by a secutor on a painted shard found in Vindolanda, England.

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Medusa Gladiatrix - 05-23-2008

Quote:Second, the metal manica debate is not even resolved amongst the scholars and I wont argue against either Connoly nor Junkelmann, but if you have the new edition of Junkelmann, you might want to look up page 203 and 204 where even Junkelmann admits that a segmented metal arm guard over cloth padding can not be discounted.
Picture 343 on page 203 actualy depicts such a construction worn by a secutor on a painted shard found in Vindolanda, England.

Regards,
Olaf

If I'm not mistaken metal manicae at least in the army appeared only in the 2nd or 3rd century AD so I guess it would have been similar with gladiators. But aren't you gladiators of 1st century AD?

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Olaf - 05-24-2008

Well the advent of the segmented metall manica in the roman army is still uncertain, but if you go by this excellent article
[url:1u7752zo]http://www.romanarmy.net/manica.htm[/url]
metall manica were used as early as mid first century AD.
Incidentaly these manica are depicted on tombstones of soldiers stationded in Mainz.

working url installed by moderator

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - jvrjenivs - 07-20-2008

Finally I can show something from my gladiator impression.

First here is the display with much of the gladiator arms and armor of Corbvlo at our set-up at the Museumpark Orientalis, today

[Image: IMG_2292.jpg]

At the moment we've the following roles in our set up:
Editor, Lanista, Medicvs, Retiarivs and Secutor. Soon to add: Traex.

And of course some real dangerous gladiators:
(picture taken at Lisse some weeks ago by Robert Vermaat/Vortigern)
[Image: PICT0176.jpg]

More pictures (including myself and training photos) to follow.

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - le Cavalier Invisible - 07-20-2008

As mentioned before: looking good!! 8)

Greetz,

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Olaf - 07-21-2008

Here some pics from our show in Leipzig for the ROM 312 Exhibition in the Panometer Leipzig.
[Image: P1060931Romer4.jpg]
[Image: P1060980romfest5.jpg]

More on our website.

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - jvrjenivs - 07-22-2008

Okay, some more pics:

Training fight between secutor (me) and retiarius. Note that my helmet and the galerus are still in the fabrica, so that's why we did a simple training without those.

[Image: martine5.jpg]

[Image: martine4.jpg]

Februarivs (me):

[Image: martine16.jpg]

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - jvrjenivs - 07-22-2008

The lanista, training his new gladiators:
[Image: martine24.jpg]

The new boy killed a seasoned gladiator
[Image: martine27.jpg]

And the medicvs
[Image: martine12.jpg]

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - jvrjenivs - 09-30-2008

Me, with my new helmet, in Bergkamen (germany) at the Museumfest

[Image: 100_1338.jpg]

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - M. Demetrius - 09-30-2008

Nice. Doesn't it seem sort of claustrophobic when the retarius is running all around, and you can barely see/breathe? I guess that's what they had in mind.

What kind of pad do you use inside to support the bowl? Do you add a chin strap for security?

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - jvrjenivs - 10-01-2008

I now train with it for a couple of weeks and got very well used to it, so I don't have any problem with it, but still I've to know exactly how long the trident is and how big my scutum, as I don't be able to see the front of the trident when stabbed at me. So the sight is enough, for me.

I can breathe enough in that helmet. I trained about one hour without putting down that helmet, but my head will be very red when I turn of the helmet, as it's heavy. (about 4 kg)

I use 3 pieces of the simple deepeeka padding inside the helmet and chin strap for security, which is needed to make sure I can get blows on the helmet and fight 'save'.

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - hephestus - 10-04-2008

Ave Jurjen,
You could try to fill with pharmaceutical wool

I am happy for you. Big Grin

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Robert Vermaat - 10-04-2008

Nice indeed!