RomanArmyTalk
Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges (/showthread.php?tid=10061)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Doc - 07-31-2007

In the links below are posted photos of the felt subarmalis of one finger thick as mentioned in the ancient sources and pteryges made of layered linen. These armor components are owned by my friend who also owns the Gallic D helmet posted here a while back.

This felt is made by a felt historian and fiber processor who can produce a felt in a very simlilar way that it was produced in ancient times. This felt is very good for shock absorbance yet breathable to the point that the material is relatively confortable in warm weather. The felt is also puncture resistant (to a certain degree) and tear resistant.

My friend and I have done some testing on it and have found the above to be quite true. The only thing we have not done is shock absorbance.

However, my friend was told by the felter that expierence has shown that this felt is quite good for shock.

Notice that the surface is not so smooth like modern felts but rather coarse.

The subarmalis is not totally complete since it has to be taken in at the waist somewhat.

Then there are the pteryges made from layered linen and then enveloped in a finer linen stiched on using a metallic thread. These pteryges were designed using some of the statues found on tclark's web site and in books elsewhere.

Pay particular attention to the raised border seen on many statues along with the twisted fringes made from the natural fraying of the linen.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... 9/Sub4.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... 9/Sub3.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... 9/Sub2.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... 9/Sub1.jpg

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Doc - 07-31-2007

Sorry for the last link it appears that the "h" is missing in http. :oops: If you put the "h" in it should work
Big Grin
Paolo

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - FlaviusCrispus - 07-31-2007

Paolo --

Laudes to you! Very fine work, there! I especially like how you did the shoulder pterguges. The texture of the shoulder and waist pteruges looks very similar to some scuptural examples I've seen.

Please post a full-body photo of the whole subarmalis when you're finished taking it in.

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Gaius_Calvus - 07-31-2007

Very, very nice work. :wink:

How did you make the fringe? Confusedhock: Please explain the material and construction? It looks wonderful.

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-31-2007

Looks excellent mate! Very fuzzy tho' :wink: :lol: I bet it's warm!

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Marcus Mummius - 07-31-2007

Dear Doc,

I'd like to know about the fringe too. And how many layers of linen you used for each flap.

And what pattern was used to make the shoulder pteruges.

Vale,

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 07-31-2007

Ave,

Seriously, that is the single most authentic looking set of subarmalis pteruges I have ever seen in recreation! Confusedhock: AWESOME JOB!

You avoided the major pitfalls:

1 You used rows of pteruges (most in recreation use only 10 all the way around the waist)
2 You cannot see the tunic through the pteruges, just like the sculptural evidence
3 You matched the trim as scene in sculpture
4 Your twisting of the fringe is virtually a perfect match

I would really like to see more of how you did the twists. When I do mine, I think I might go with the large twist version as scene in other statues.

Also, did you fold over each pteruges or where they just that thick? Do you have any photos of the sewing the rows of pteruges to the subarmalis?

LAUDES! 8)

Large twist version:
[Image: antpiusdet3a.jpg]

Your’s looks just like those worn by August
[Image: primaportadet18a.jpg]

Augustus again (although his pteruges, for some reason, look like leather to me, most other statues always look like linen but, Augustus' has always had a leather-like look to my eyes)
[Image: primaportadet8pterugesa.jpg]

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-31-2007

Mind you, I saw a grave stele of a centurion in Britain, who has 2 rows of pturges, which overlap all the way around! But not quite as heavy as the ones you posted Anthony

Marcus Favonius Facilus Canturion of XX legion probably erected c. 43-47 AD

It is on page 37 of Roman Britain, A New History by Guy De La Bedoyere

Looks a lot like Paolos!

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Hibernicus - 07-31-2007

Doc,

1) how many layer's of felted wool?
2) are you going to encase the torso in a layer of linen and then quilt it? ...in the diamond pattern?

Fringe.
The thick fringe can be attained by over twisting.. twisting the threads so tightly that the twisted cord wants to double back on itself when you relax the tension.

Notice that the Augustus statue has a possible "braid" affixed to the edges of the waist wings?

To make a tighter fringe twist three threads together, a rope making "machine" helps get a nice tight twist. Want it thicker twist? ...then use three 3-ply cords...

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Doc - 08-01-2007

From what I gather my friend told me that he took the heaviest linen he could find and layered it. The number of layers depends on how thick and heavy you want to make each pterygion.

The fringes are the natrual freyed ends of the layered linen twisted as Hibernicus pointed out.

There is no felted wool. The subarmalis is thick enough and does not require further thickening.

As mentioned previously this type of felt reacts very protectively and suprsingly keeps you comfortable. My friend let me try it on. I will admit I did sweat but it was not an unpleasent sweating.

The real test would be wearing it outside in 90 plus weather and see what happens. I only wore it for 15minutes in a non air conditioned house when the temperature was 100 outdoors.

This message is from my friend:

"Since so many people gave a positive response and I know most people have leather pteryges and would like to have linen ones, please contact me if you are interested in purchasing from me the pteryges made in the same fashion I made mine. I will make the pteryges to your specifications of course.

The e-mail is [email protected]
Other options are available such as leather and other fringe types. You can contact me with your details and I will let you know what can be done and the cost.

I by no means posted my photos as a sales pitch. I had them posted because I wanted to share what I have done with the RAT community. But if you would like to have fine linen pteryges and I will probably make leather ones as well, and you do not have the time to make your own, let me know.

Thanks all for the postive replies and encouraging comments."

Paolo

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-01-2007

Well they are the closest things I have seen to what I imagine real ones to look like!!!!!! Big Grin D D

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Hibernicus - 08-01-2007

I'm sorry Paolo, maybe I wasn't clear enough , but I am asking about the body or torso of the garment.. it appears to be wool.

In photo #2 the view of the arm/sleeve it appears that the body is layered

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Doc - 08-01-2007

I am not sure how many layers of felted wool since the subarmalis was produced by a professional felter not my friend.

The pteryges are attached to a seperate linen garment that is over the tunic followed by the felted wool subarmalis.

Paolo

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Magnus - 08-01-2007

Awesome job! My pteryges will look very close to yours, except I used red stitching instead of gold, and wool-yarn for the fringe. I also based mine on Travis's site, and if it turns out half as good as yours looks, I'll be quite happy!

Re: Reconstruction of Felt Subarmalis and Linen Pteryges - Matt Lukes - 08-02-2007

I was told the felt is simply 3/8" thick, authentically-felted (in the ancient fashion) wool. No layers.