RomanArmyTalk
sling power/catapult power - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: sling power/catapult power (/showthread.php?tid=6032)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: sling power/catapult power - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-09-2006

Having personally recieved a stone shot from a modern sling in the eye, I personally, have no doubt about the lethality and energy that a lead projectile, from a truely expert slinger, would impart! It would be devastating. Also, slingers were known to use slings of different lengths for different ranges, so what would the difference in energy be?

I've also been shot with lead projectiles from slingshots, I would hate to be on the recieving end of a truely leathal bombbardment.

B. Angel

Re: sling power/catapult power - rkmvca1 - 07-12-2006

Quote:And sure a sling bullet can have as much kinetic energy as a 1kg ball Magnus- KE is dependent on mass and VELOCITY, yes? Smile A 250g sling bullet moving 4x faster than a 1kg ball will have exactly the same KE and be rather more devestating as it'd apply that energy over a smaller area

Indeed, and even more than you quote.

A 250g sling bullet traveling 4x faster than a 1kg ball will have exactly the same momentum as the ball (momentum == p = m*v}, but it will have 4x the Kinetic Energy (== KE = 1/2*m*v^2).

It would also penetrate more as you point out since pressure exerted per square inch would be much higher.

rkmvca/rich klein

Re: sling power/catapult power - Eleatic Guest - 07-12-2006

What is exactly the difference between momentum and kinetic energy? :oops:

Re: sling power/catapult power - Tarbicus - 07-12-2006

Quote:What is exactly the difference between momentum and kinetic energy? :oops:

[url:2gfs2slj]http://wadcutter.blogspot.com/2005/03/shooters-guide-to-energy-and-momentum.html[/url]

Re: sling power/catapult power - caiusbeerquitius - 07-13-2006

Dietwulf Baatz wrote an article about this topic. I´ll post more tonight.

Re: sling power/catapult power - D B Campbell - 07-13-2006

Are you thinking of this one, Christian?
Quote:Dietwulf Baatz investigated the whole subject of subsonic ballistics a long time ago ("Schleudergeschosse aus blei: eine Waffentechnische Untersuchung", Saalburg-Jahrbuch 45, 1990, pp. 59-67).

Re: sling power/catapult power - Matt Lukes - 07-13-2006

Quote:
Quote:And sure a sling bullet can have as much kinetic energy as a 1kg ball Magnus- KE is dependent on mass and VELOCITY, yes? Smile A 250g sling bullet moving 4x faster than a 1kg ball will have exactly the same KE and be rather more devestating as it'd apply that energy over a smaller area

Indeed, and even more than you quote.

A 250g sling bullet traveling 4x faster than a 1kg ball will have exactly the same momentum as the ball (momentum == p = m*v}, but it will have 4x the Kinetic Energy (== KE = 1/2*m*v^2).

It would also penetrate more as you point out since pressure exerted per square inch would be much higher.

rkmvca/rich klein

Whoops- quite so... got my formulae mixed-up :lol: Physics was never my strong suit- I studied biology. So I suppose I shouldn't throw out ideas involving phyiscs then, yes? :lol: Thanks for the correction Rich

Re: sling power/catapult power - caiusbeerquitius - 07-13-2006

I mean the article in
D. Baatz, Bauten und Katapulte des römischen Heeres (Stuttgart, 1994) 294-302.
This might be the same article, I do not have it here at the moment, I´ll check back and let you know.

What is clearly shown in the article, is that the lead sling bullet was one of the most dangerous weapons ancient armies could field.

Re: sling power/catapult power - Vincula - 07-13-2006

How can a tiny sling be worse than a catapult? :?

re: sling - Johnny Shumate - 07-13-2006

caiustarquitius,
You've got me chomping at the bit..!
Has this article been translated into English..? If not, can you translate parts of it for us..?
Thanks,
Johnny

Re: sling power/catapult power - caiusbeerquitius - 07-14-2006

I would make such a translation, if I had more time. Maybe in fall.

Quote:How can a tiny sling be worse than a catapult?
With a range of up to 350 m, at maximum distance still able to penetrate a helmet, silent, basically invisible against the sky, and coming in large numbers. But only if you use lead. Ceramic or stone bullets do not nearly have the same effect.

Re: sling power/catapult power - Eleatic Guest - 07-14-2006

A discussion about Baatz' article, his formulas, and a critique can be found here: Effective range: Sling vs. Arrow

Re: sling power/catapult power - D B Campbell - 07-18-2006

Just came across an interesting reference:
[pre]Moog, Ferdinand Peter (2002)
Zur Traumatologie der antiken Schleuderbleie
In: Medizinhistorisches Journal (Jena). - Bd. 37 (2002), Heft 2. - S. 123-137
[/pre]
Has anyone read this? (Probably too much to hope for a PDF? Smile )

Re: sling power/catapult power - caiusbeerquitius - 07-18-2006

I mighgt be able to get it. I´ll check oin the first week of august.

Re: sling power/catapult power - Eleatic Guest - 07-19-2006

Quote:Just came across an interesting reference:

You might be interested in the following one, too:

B. Kargeru (spe?) : Experimental Arrow Wounds and Traumatology, in: The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection and Critical Care, Vol. 45, Nr. 3, p.498