RomanArmyTalk
Bringing JRMES back to life - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Bringing JRMES back to life (/showthread.php?tid=22160)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bringing JRMES back to life - D B Campbell - 02-21-2013

Quote:Hmmm. A total of 207 views but only 30 votes. I wonder what that says about RAT/JRMES?!
Maybe, like me, the other 176 are on the horns of a dilemma. I like a nice paper copy, although I appreciate that not everyone has the storage space. I also like a properly stitched high quality softback, like the current crop of CUP journals. But it's nice to have online access for the word-search facility -- if you remember that one of the articles mentioned a certain thing, but you can't quite remember which article (or does that just happen to me? :whistle: ). The journal Britannia currently offers this for £46/$92 per year -- not cheap, but I guess that's the going rate.

Bringing JRMES back to life - Renatus - 02-21-2013

Quote:I like a nice paper copy, although I appreciate that not everyone has the storage space. I also like a properly stitched high quality softback, like the current crop of CUP journals. But it's nice to have online access for the word-search facility -- if you remember that one of the articles mentioned a certain thing, but you can't quite remember which article (or does that just happen to me? :whistle: ).
Might the answer to this be to include a cumulative index in each volume and then, after (say) ten years, to produce a separate index and start the cumulation again?

Bringing JRMES back to life - gaiusseptimiuslucianus - 02-21-2013

Quote:Hmmm. A total of 207 views but only 30 votes. I wonder what that says about RAT/JRMES?!

Mike Bishop

Depending on how the counter counts hit, I expect at least 20 of those views are probably re-views of mine :cheer: because I've looked at this thread on my laptop at home and my machine at work and gone in and out following the thread. That's probably true for others as well, so I wouldn't read it as a commentary on JRMES itself.

Lucianus

Bringing JRMES back to life - mcbishop - 02-21-2013

Quote:Might the answer to this be to include a cumulative index in each volume and then, after (say) ten years, to produce a separate index and start the cumulation again?
Now there's an idea. Oh, hang on... what's that Sooty?... really?... something like this perhaps? :whistle:

Truth is, JRMES had a cumulative online index before many journals had even discovered the web. Just seemed such a natural idea. All produced by the resident in-house indexer (editor, copy-editor, typesetter, proofreader, teaboy...).

Mike Bishop

Bringing JRMES back to life - Renatus - 02-21-2013

Quote:Now there's an idea. Oh, hang on... what's that Sooty?... really?... something like this perhaps? :whistle:

Truth is, JRMES had a cumulative online index before many journals had even discovered the web. Just seemed such a natural idea.
Not quite what I was suggesting but, if kept up to date, almost as good!

Bringing JRMES back to life - M. Demetrius - 02-21-2013

Quote:Depending on how the counter counts hit, I expect at least 20 of those views are probably re-views of mine
And not just yours. Many mods (and no doubt other members) utilize the "Recent Topics" tab to shorten the task of keeping current on what's being said here and there. I have been here four or five times, but only voted once.

Bringing JRMES back to life - Sean Manning - 02-21-2013

Quote:
Quote:Depending on how the counter counts hit, I expect at least 20 of those views are probably re-views of mine
And not just yours. Many mods (and no doubt other members) utilize the "Recent Topics" tab to shorten the task of keeping current on what's being said here and there. I have been here four or five times, but only voted once.
Me too I think. I only log in when I have something to post. It is a shame that participation has been down. I have been busy with graduate school but several people have remarked that internet communities have been slow and grouchy this past year.

Bringing JRMES back to life - Roberto Romani - 02-21-2013

Voted only today, I was undecided, but I had already checked the discussion 2-3 times, so it should count as 3 visits, I presume. BTW, I voted hybrid.

Bringing JRMES back to life - Graham Sumner - 02-21-2013

It is great to get easy and cheap, or better still free, access to any archaeological publication off the web as usually academic publications are so expensive but inevitably even if I do find what I am looking for I have to print off a paper copy!

Mike,

As someone who is a university librarian in my day job, and a serials librarian to boot, I implore you to adopt the print and digital model. It will ultimately give the most flexibility and in the (very) long run it is the only real method of preservation. I can go to the shelf in my collection and take down a 300 year old book and read it, who knows if a electronic version will be available in 300 years time from now? I understand your concerns about dead trees and I share them* but if you really want to ensure the best chance at preservation, then distributed paper copies of JRMES in university libraries throughout the world is probably your best bet.

Best,

Lucianus

This was basically the same conclusion reached at an archaeological conference I attended when one lecture was about data storage. Paper was best because the technology changes so rapidly. The Doomsday book project on the anniversary of the original collected masses of data, all of which is now only available to read on one or two historic computers!

Perhaps a daft question but if everyone reads a Kindle how will authors autograph copies?

Graham.

Bringing JRMES back to life - mcbishop - 02-22-2013

Quote:The Doomsday book project on the anniversary of the original collected masses of data, all of which is now only available to read on one or two historic computers!
That has now been sorted out and is available on the web for all to toy with but at great expense, it has to be said, just because the BBC's technology of choice (the laser disc) died and never took off. Nowadays the smart money is always on simple text files that are easily transferable but 'smart' (in the form of some version of XML) which, if push comes to shove, you can print out/etch into basalt/tattoo on your backside to ensure some form of machine-readable longevity... well, until our sun goes supernova, of course ;-) The truth is the safest wisest and best storage policy is both paper and digital, not one or t'other, and each has its strengths (and adherents) but also its faults and weaknesses.

Quote:Perhaps a daft question but if everyone reads a Kindle how will authors autograph copies?
It is possible and it's already happening (many ways, but here's one), as are 'virtual' signing tours.

Mike Bishop

Bringing JRMES back to life - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-22-2013

Quote:... well, until our sun goes supernova, of course ;-)

Our sun is to small to create a supernova. In about 500 million to 1 billion years the earth will become uninhabitable, and in about 3-4 billion it will be swallowed up by the expanding sun. Following that, the sun will collapse and blow off its outer layer, creating a planetary nebula.

Bringing JRMES back to life - Praefectusclassis - 02-22-2013

Mike, whichever model you choose, I'm still very happy to discuss Karwansaray helping with the publishing (in whichever form), marketing (and selling :wink: ) of JRMES. Unlike, say Brill, I can probably convince the boss to agree to a minimal margin.

Quote:
mcbishop post=331202 Wrote:... well, until our sun goes supernova, of course ;-)

Our sun is to small to create a supernova. In about 500 million to 1 billion years the earth will become uninhabitable, and in about 3-4 billion it will be swallowed up by the expanding sun. Following that, the sun will collapse and blow off its outer layer, creating a planetary nebula.
Assuming the calculations on the Chandrasekhar limit are correct. One of the most poetic and haunting phrases in the history of science is 'Scientists now think...'. Of course, I could have been being ironic ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:Mike, whichever model you choose, I'm still very happy to discuss Karwansaray helping with the publishing (in whichever form), marketing (and selling :wink: ) of JRMES. Unlike, say Brill, I can probably convince the boss to agree to a minimal margin.
Strangely, Brill hadn't really figured in my calculations. Let me just check... nope, still don't :-) I see no reason to change what we have already discussed and since I have now been promised funds to finish preparing 14/15 and 16 for the presses, we appear to be almost ready to go.

Mike Bishop

Bringing JRMES back to life - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-22-2013

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=331213 Wrote:
mcbishop post=331202 Wrote:... well, until our sun goes supernova, of course ;-)

Assuming the calculations on the Chandrasekhar limit are correct. One of the most poetic and haunting phrases in the history of science is 'Scientists now think...'. Of course, I could have been being ironic ;-)

Mike Bishop

Indeed, science is always open to change. That's why Religion and Science will never mix.

More on topic, what kinds of articles will you be publishing? Re-enactor equipment, archaeological finds, etc?