RomanArmyTalk
Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands (/showthread.php?tid=7191)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - hephestus - 11-02-2006

Avete,
This is one of my jobs, what thoughts?
www.hephestus.net/falcata_iberica.htm

Vale

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Virilis - 11-02-2006

WOW Confusedhock: !!

It looks shockingly good! How much would one of those cost?

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Tarbicus - 11-02-2006

Quote:the rib of the "blade" is clearly not forged in the metal but added on to it.
Unless that's the scabbard? The smaller piece in Rob's photo looks hollow. What unsettles me about it are the two large studs on the grip which seem a tad impractical, but then they could have been flush with the surface of the organic grip I suppose.

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-02-2006

might indeed be the scabbard Tarbi......

still unclear........ but if its a sword it might be a derivation of the falcata, not a falcata as such, and wether or not it is military....

there were also civilians working with the clasis germanica

M.VIB.M.

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Dan Diffendale - 11-02-2006

As for the "ridge", as Uwe pointed out above, "...there are even still visible parts of the sheath decoration and the remains of a little knife that usually was attached at the falcata sheath and now seems to be corroded to the falcata's blade. "

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 11-02-2006

Clearly the blade it's too straight to be considerated as a falcata.

Could be one kind of gladiatorial weapon? Why not a sica?

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-02-2006

in a way a bit like the two little knives attached to the Kukri knife and the little kozuka knives some japanese swords have...!

interesting!!!!!!!

but the blade still seems straight to me......

M.VIB.M.

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - hephestus - 11-02-2006

Quote:As for the "ridge", as Uwe pointed out above, "...there are even still visible parts of the sheath decoration and the remains of a little knife that usually was attached at the falcata sheath and now seems to be corroded to the falcata's blade. "

It's the more logical explanation.
Vale

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-03-2006

Yes it indeed is! but to name it Falcata just because the hilt resembles a falcata grip goes a bit far in my opinion.
:lol:

M.VIB.M.

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - hephestus - 11-03-2006

It's one possible reconstruction?
[Image: modifica%20falcata%201.jpg]

Valete

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Tarbicus - 11-03-2006

Looks like a falcata to me Big Grin

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-04-2006

What does Mike Bishop think????

M.VIB.M.

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-04-2006

INHO, A falcata! The greeks used something similar, but the name escapes me. Smile roll:

B. Angel

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Thersites - 11-05-2006

It is NOT a Falcata, as it lacks the profile of a true falcata; only the hilt resembles one. The profile of the main edge is not concave in its proximal part, so it is NOT a falcata of Spanish manufacture. Certainly it is NOT a kopis/machaira either of the Etruscan or Greek types.

Size is OK for a short sword. So far, ito me t looks a very late, (perhaps fashionable to a Roman officer?) version of a Spanish falcata by one who only had a slight idea of how falcatas looked like almost a century before.

Anyway, it is now certainly the last of its kind.

BTW, handgrip metal applications would be OK in a true falcata.

Re: Spanish Falcata sword - Woerden - Netherlands - Tarbicus - 11-05-2006

Quote:It is NOT a Falcata, as it lacks the profile of a true falcata; only the hilt resembles one. The profile of the main edge is not concave in its proximal part, so it is NOT a falcata of Spanish manufacture.
If the blade is still in the scabbard how can we tell?

[url:3cm65m0u]http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/iberian-falcata/falcata.jpeg[/url]