RomanArmyTalk
Rorarii and Accensi - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Rorarii and Accensi (/showthread.php?tid=13709)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - SigniferOne - 11-05-2008

Quote:"Our sole authority is a single chapter in Livy (viii.8) , but it "is equalled by few others in compressed richness of information," and is in itself sufficiently intelligible, although tortured and elaborately corrupted by Lipsius and others, who were determined to force it into harmony with the words of Polybius, which represent, it is true, most accurately the state of a Roman army, but of a Roman army as it existed two centuries afterwards. According to the plain and obvious sense of the passage in question, the legion in the year B.C. 340 had thrown aside the arms and almost entirely discarded the tactics of the phalanx. It was now drawn up in three, or perhaps we ought to say, in five lines. The soldiers of the first line, called Hastati, consisted of youths in the first bloom of manhood (florem juvenem pubescentium in militiam) distributed into fifteen companies or maniples (manipuli), a moderate space being left between each. The maniple contained sixty privates, two centurions (centuriones), and a standard bearer (vexillarius); two thirds were heavily armed and bore the scutum or large oblong shield, the remainder carried only a spear (hasta) and light javelins (gaesa). The second line, the Principes, was composed of men in the full vigour of life, divided in like manner into fifteen maniples, all heavily armed (scutati omnes), and distinguished by the splendour of their equipments (insignibus maxime armis). The two lines of the Hastati and Principes taken together amounted to 30 maniples and formed the Antepilani. The third line, the Triarii, composed of tried veterans (veteranum militem spectatae virtutis), was also in fifteen divisions, but each of these was triple, containing 3 manipuli, 180 privates, 6 centurions, and 3 vexillarii. In these triple manipuli the veterans or triarii proper formed the front ranks; immediately behind them stood the Rorarii, inferior in age and prowess (minus roboris aetate factisque), while the Accensi or supernumeraries, less trustworthy than either (minimae fiducia manum), were posted in the extreme rear".

by William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.

Idea

This is exactly one of those articles that passes itself for a modern "authoritative" judgment but resolves as just a verbatim copy of some ancient statements. I'm curious as to the purpose of the D.C.L., LL.D. after his name when we could just go to Livy to find exactly the same thing.

The ultimate question is: why were the weak troops placed in the back in the first place? Polybius writes that it is the investigation of causes that actually tells a whole picture. Merely saying that facts were so and so tells very little. The reason for my question is that I'm making a Classical (Roman) mod for Medieval II: Total War, and find that I am hard-pressed to find any rational reason to include the Rorarii and Accensi in the Roman roster.

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Watcher - 11-05-2008

"I have found Livy’s account of the legion (VIII eight) is taken from various sources and Livy does not tell us he has changed his source".

"Our sole authority is a single chapter in Livy".

"... but what I have found is Livy is in actuality giving the number of officers, optios, and standard bearers for the entire legion, which does amount to 186 men".

" tribus ex uexillis constabat ordo; sexagenos milites, duos centuriones, uexillarium unum habebat uexillum; centum octoginta sex homines erant. primum uexillum triarios ducebat, ueteranum militem spectatae uirtutis, secundum rorarios, minus roboris aetate factisque, tertium accensos, minimae fiduciae manum; eo et in postremam aciem reiciebantur".

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Mitra - 11-05-2008

Lucilius Saturae fragmenta , satire 7 verse 290 (Late II Bc)

"quinque hastae, aureolo cinctu rorarius uel[2es]2
primum fulgit, uti caldum [2e]2 furnaci[2bu]2 ferrum."

satire 10 verse 393

"pone paludatus stabat rorarius uelox @1 "

Plautus Frivolaria fragmenta (first II Bc)

"V/bi rorarii estis? Adsunt. Vbi sunt accensi? Ecce [2nos]2.
a/gite nunc, subsidite omnes, quasi solent triarii. "

Varro de Lingua Latina

"rorarii dicti ab rore qui bellum committebant, ideo quod ante
rorat quam pluit. accensos ministratores Cato esse
scribit;"

Varro de vita populi romani

"rorarii appellati quod imbribus fere primum rorare
incipit. "

The rorarii is light armed soldier in II century BC. Livy passages (and Veseris battle) in 8 book is a antiquarian reconstruction of his source, so some nuclei of true data are linked with inventions of historian. Probably the true data are the same passage of Lucilius e Plautus we have: the Livy source think the rorarii is back the fighintg line for the "pone" in Lucilius, the same for the accensi because make confusion between the accensi-ministratores with the accensi-velati of I Bc; he links the last reserve role of triarii with rorarii and accensi because he takes the Plautus passage (which is a joke).

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Sean Manning - 11-06-2008

Quote:The ultimate question is: why were the weak troops placed in the back in the first place? Polybius writes that it is the investigation of causes that actually tells a whole picture. Merely saying that facts were so and so tells very little. The reason for my question is that I'm making a Classical (Roman) mod for Medieval II: Total War, and find that I am hard-pressed to find any rational reason to include the Rorarii and Accensi in the Roman roster.
I agree that it is hard to understand the rotarii/accenses except as servants who sometimes fought. Its interesting that Livy doesn't say anything about five lines... you could almost get the impression that these are three types of triarii in a line besides each other except for the word "rearmost."

The reasons that the Polybian battle order with hastati, principes, and triarii is wasteful in RTW should be easy to see if you look at what aspects of that formation the game doesn't model.

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Watcher - 11-06-2008

I concur with Mitra that the Rorarri were light infantry, fo what that is worth.

"...[13] at the same time the Romans —their spirits relieved of religious fears —pressed on as though the signal had just then for the first time been given, and delivered a fresh attack; [14] for the rorarii were running out between the antepilani and were joining their strength to that of the hastati and the principles, and the triarii, kneeling on the right knee, were waiting till the consul signed to them to rise".

Livy 8.9

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - SigniferOne - 11-07-2008

Quote:I concur with Mitra that the Rorarri were light infantry, fo what that is worth.

"...[13] at the same time the Romans —their spirits relieved of religious fears —pressed on as though the signal had just then for the first time been given, and delivered a fresh attack; [14] for the rorarii were running out between the antepilani and were joining their strength to that of the hastati and the principles, and the triarii, kneeling on the right knee, were waiting till the consul signed to them to rise".

Livy 8.9
Yet, what tactical significance did they bear which couldn't be fulfilled if they were absorbed into the hastati or principes? This is exactly what the punic war Romans did: abolishing the rorarii and accensi through stronger training, heavier equipment, and a merge with the hastati and principes; or else throwing them out of the army if they proved to be too poor. Given that, what thought process led the samnite wars Romans to think differently? It seems to be a managerial nightmare to find roles for 5 essentially similar yet superficially different versions of infantry.

Quote:The reasons that the Polybian battle order with hastati, principes, and triarii is wasteful in RTW should be easy to see if you look at what aspects of that formation the game doesn't model.

Well there's some waste in organizing your RTW army on a historical model, although you could still pull it off with careful planning. But you're right, the reason for the difficulty is that RTW doesn't model a few things which were essential for making the historical legion effective. Nevertheless the Polybian model rationally makes sense. Hastati and Principes are basically the same so you conceptually treat them as one and as the mainstay of your army; Triarii are a reserve. It just makes sense, and having this hastati/principes/triarii roster in RTW can pay off in the game. What does adding some Rorarii do for the player, except confuse him a little more?

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Mitra - 11-07-2008

Quote:Yet, what tactical significance did they bear which couldn't be fulfilled if they were absorbed into the hastati or principes? This is exactly what the punic war Romans did: abolishing the rorarii and accensi through stronger training, heavier equipment, and a merge with the hastati and principes; or else throwing them out of the army if they proved to be too poor. Given that, what thought process led the samnite wars Romans to think differently and add/separate these two classes? It's simply a managerial nightmare to find roles for 5 essentially similar yet superficially different versions of infantry.

This is because you assume as precise the Livy passage and Livy source. More probably in all the text only some fragments are true, others are constructed. I suppose the antiquarian try to merge the few census legion with the later manipular legion, with few informations of first manipular legion. So we have 5 lines one for 5 census classes, if you assume that also the hastati and principes manipuli are 60 men strong (Livy not tell that they are 120 strong) like triarii you have 60*75= 4500. The census levy enrols 90*100 men = 9000, but from 361 just to 311 the legions are two no more one. This is only one of many combination the "creator" of Livy passage can be made.

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Watcher - 11-07-2008

"Yet, what tactical significance did they bear which couldn't be fulfilled if they were absorbed into the hastati or principes? This is exactly what the punic war Romans did: abolishing the rorarii and accensi through stronger training, heavier equipment, and a merge with the hastati and principes; or else throwing them out of the army if they proved to be too poor. Given that, what thought process led the samnite wars Romans to think differently? It seems to be a managerial nightmare to find roles for 5 essentially similar yet superficially different versions of infantry".

I am not sure I follow you on this one. What makes you feel that the rorarri and accensi were "absorbed" into the hastati and principes, rather than being renamed velites?

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - SigniferOne - 11-07-2008

Quote:"Yet, what tactical significance did they bear which couldn't be fulfilled if they were absorbed into the hastati or principes? This is exactly what the punic war Romans did: abolishing the rorarii and accensi through stronger training, heavier equipment, and a merge with the hastati and principes; or else throwing them out of the army if they proved to be too poor. Given that, what thought process led the samnite wars Romans to think differently? It seems to be a managerial nightmare to find roles for 5 essentially similar yet superficially different versions of infantry".

I am not sure I follow you on this one. What makes you feel that the rorarri and accensi were "absorbed" into the hastati and principes, rather than being renamed velites?

Hmm. Is it likely that the rorarii/accensi served the skirmisher role if they were stationed behind the army? (And yes I'm following Livy's reconstruction here by the sheer weight of necessity.) The numbers are also incommensurate: the Velites formed a small proportion of the army, just a vague dispersed bunch skirmishing until the real brunt of the Roman army engaged; Rorarii and Accensi comprised two whole separate regiments of the army, at least equal to if not greater than the numbers of Triarii. So: either they served a skirmishing function in huge numbers from the back of the Army (a perplexing function if there ever was one); or they were something different from the velites entirely.

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Watcher - 11-07-2008

Did not the Velites of the Polybian legion number 1,200 men? In my post above, Livy states in 8.9 ..., read it for yourself. The rorarri went forward "as though the signal had just then for the first time been given".

Personally, it makes quite a lot of sense to me that the rorarri an acensi would be part of the third line from the period Livy describes in 8.8.

These light troops would be sent out ahead to skirmish, and then fall back, out of the way, to the third line, once the battle began in earnest.

If the manipular phalanx operated the way I feel it did, once the maniples of the pricipes moved forward into the gaps between the maniples of the hastati, there would be no place for the lights to go, unless they had retired through the gaps before the two lines converged.

Stationing them in the third line with the triarri makes a lot of sense to me.

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - SigniferOne - 11-10-2008

So in your view the accensi were basically the early velites, and that Livy's specification of them as behind triarii is just their normal resting place once they've done skirmishing up front, right?

What about the rorarii? They were armed in a way which superficially resembled the triarii, as there is at least one Livian example where they are used to substitute for the triarii and confuse the enemy as to triarii's real location.

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Watcher - 11-10-2008

Tactically speaking, I do not feel there was a lot of difference between the two other than "social class". On the battlefield, my opinion is they were both light infantry.

I too remember a case where the rorarri were mistakened for triarii, but do not remember offhand the section in Livy. Doyou have the citation location? It might well be worth reading again.

Rorarii and Accensi - Paullus Scipio - 11-10-2008

Watcher wrote:
Quote:I too remember a case where the rorarri were mistakened for triarii, but do not remember offhand the section in Livy. Doyou have the citation location? It might well be worth reading again.
...it shouldn't be too hard to remember, since I quoted the details just a few posts ago !! :lol: :lol:
Paullus Scipio wrote:
Quote:In the battle that Livy describes,(VIII.9.9) the 'Rorarii' run out between the 'Antepilani' (Hastati and Principes) and join battle. The Latins seemingly are not surprised by this and possibly commit their own equivalents, and the struggle continues. Meanwhile the 'Triarii' continue to kneel in the rear, while the Consul prevaricates on whether to commit them yet. Finally he commits the 'Accensi' instead and, in Livy's words:
"No sooner had they gone up, than the Latins, supposing their enemies had done the same, sent in their own 'Triarii'. These, having fought fiercely for some time, and worn themselves out and broken or blunted their spears, yet were driving back the (Roman) foe, and supposed that they had already won the field and penetrated the last line, when the Consul cried out to the Roman 'Triarii'.....When the 'Triarii' had got to their feet, fresh and sound in their glittering armour, a new and unforeseen array, they received the 'Antepilani' into the gaps between between their files (implying they were still in 'open' order; elsewhere Livy tells us that the 'Triarii' 'closed up'and fought as a solid line), and, raising a shout, threw the enemy's front ranks into disorder...."
BTW, since each successive line ( leves, Hastati, Principes and Triarii) had to advance through the preceding lines to take post at the front, the fact that Rorarii do the same is no evidence at all for them being 'light' skirmishers....

Re: Rorarii and Accensi - Watcher - 11-10-2008

OK - You are relating from Livy 8.9 and 8.10. Personally, I see nothing in the text that would incline me to believe the acenscii were equipped as triarii.

Quote:For some time Manlius was in doubt whether the moment had not come for calling up the triarii, but judging it better for them to be kept fresh till the final crisis of the battle, he gave orders for the accensi at the extreme rear to advance to the front. When they came up, the Latins, taking them for the opposing triarii, instantly called up their own.

It is not unusual for troops of one type to be mistaken for another. This being an age where recognition was by eyesight only, it is possible to discern certain differences in troop types at about 450 meters but this can even be as close as 250 meters before any real detailed differences can be told.

If the Latin commanders saw troops coming forward at some 1,000 meters from the Roman rear, I feel the natural inclination, knowing Roman habits as they did, would be inclined to think they were Triarri as they would really have no clue to identification by sight. It would be at a much shorter range they would realize they were not Triarri, and by that time, it may have very well been to late to adjust any reaction.

I feel that sighting in antiquity is a much neglected topic. There were no telescopes, no binoculars, and not even any glasses. If one looks around today, take note of the number of people with glasses or contacts. Now take them away and put them in the field, and their picture of what things looks like is considerably different from what it actually is.

Rorarii and Accensi - Paullus Scipio - 11-10-2008

Gregory, your points about sighting and identifying troops at a distance are perfectly valid in general, but they are not relevant to this discussion.

Where do you get the idea that the Latins and Roman battle lines were 1,000 metres apart when the Accensi moved forward? Or even 250 metres?
Livy says ( VIII.10.3)
"No sooner had they gone up than the Latins, supposing their enemies had done the same, sent in their own Triarii.These having fought fiercely for some time, and worn themselves out and broken or blunted their spears, yet were driving back the foe [the Accensi] and supposed that they had already won the field and penetrated the last line [so after prolonged hand-to-hand fighting they still believed they were fighting against the Roman Triarii] when the Consul cried out to the Roman triarii: "Rise up now......"
When the Triarii had got to their feet, fresh and sound in their glittering armour, a new and unforeseen array, they received the ante-pilani into the gaps between their files and, raising a shout, threw the enemy's front ranks into disorder and thrusting their spears into their faces, disposed of the fine flower of their manhood....."
The Accensi must therefore be armed identically to Triarii, since no light troops without shields could fight 'fiercely for some time' against Heavy scutum equipped Infantry, or be mistaken for Triarii face-to-face.
Rorarii ( who run out between the ante-pilani, " ..and were joining their strength to that of the Hastati and the Principes, and the Triarii, kneeling on their right knee were waiting until the Consul signed them to rise") must also be heavy-armed to fight hand-to-hand alongside Hastati and Principes and nowhere does Livy suggest they skirmished at all.