RomanArmyTalk
Persian heavy cavalry - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Persian heavy cavalry (/showthread.php?tid=12704)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - hoplite14gr - 05-24-2008

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o118 ... ctoral.jpg
This comes from a Macedonian grave and it is dated Hellenistic period.
It is considered a badge of rank for the Hellenistic cavalry officers.

Kind regards

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - Ceasar Augustus - 05-25-2008

That's interesting... Do you think you could find a drawing of a one?

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - MeinPanzer - 05-25-2008

Quote:A photo of what looks like an original Persian neck guard, as mentioned above, from Giannis’ photobucket. Any information about this one Giannis??

[url:jawn3nhn]http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o118/kadoglou_gr/?action=view&current=dervenibpectoral.jpg[/url]

That's 4th c. BC Macedonian, from Derveni.

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - etruschi - 05-25-2008

[Image: 87ff9465d5dfkz9.th.jpg]

In my opinion this set of armour (body, arm and leg armour) is the step between the very early Saka armour (parapleuridia) and the later full cataphract armour we know of the Parthians and Kushan.
Greetings
Philip

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - MeinPanzer - 05-25-2008

Quote:[Image: 87ff9465d5dfkz9.th.jpg]

In my opinion this set of armour (body, arm and leg armour) is the step between the very early Saka armour (parapleuridia) and the later full cataphract armour we know of the Parthians and Kushan.
Greetings
Philip

In fact there is almost no difference between the earliest forms of Saka armour and the examples from Kushan art (i.e. the Khalchayan sculptures), though Parthian armour seems to have been quite different from Saka armour (with much more use of scale).

Saka armour has nothing to do with parapleuridia, though, and if you read my posts in the thread entitled "The appearance of Saka Heavy Cavalry at Gaugamela" linked above, I outline the reasons why identifying the armour on the Khumbuz-tepe fragment as parameridia or parapleuridia is very unlikely.

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - Ceasar Augustus - 05-26-2008

Hmmm, really?

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - MeinPanzer - 05-26-2008

Quote:Hmmm, really?

If this is in reference to the parapleuridia comment, then yes. The sources we have for the Saka armour from the early 4th c. BC until around the time of the Khalchayan sculptures in the 1st c. BC/1st c. AD provide us with a remarkably consistent representation of the cataphract panoply in a few varied situations.

We have representations of armoured men on horseback (Khumbuz-tepe fragment, golden bracer from the Siberian collection of Peter I, some fragments of the main battle scene from Khalchayan, some of the Indo-Saka coins) and on foot (Talas-Tal bronze figurine, Indo-Saka coins); a representation of a full panoply not being worn (the scene of royal figures in civilian dress from Khalchayan); and an actual find, if fragmentary, of a panoply from Chirik-Rabat. None of these sources indicates that the covering seen on the leg of the Khumbuz-tepe cataphract is anything other than the skirt of a cuirass. That is the simplest explanation and also the one that fits best with this evidence.

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - Marcus Mummius - 05-26-2008

Quote:Ok, I'll take your word for it.

You sure like to post a lot of short sentences, don't you :lol:

Re: Persian heavy cavalry - Julilla - 05-26-2008

Quote:You sure like to post a lot of short sentences, don't you :lol:

*G* When one is racing to build up one's member level, I guess one cannot take the time to be verbose :lol:

Quote:
Marcus Mummius:28571s4o Wrote:You sure like to post a lot of short sentences, don't you :lol:

*G* When one is racing to build up your member level, I guess one cannot be verbose :lol:
Actually, I didn't understand half of what he said. You have to remember I'm 13. Smile

Persian Heavy Cavalry - Paullus Scipio - 05-26-2008

Ruben ! Big Grin Nice to see you actively posting again....where've you been ?

I do remember, domine, but not everyone will recall that. The Internet is a great leveler in terms of age and ability, and you may be called on to hold your own end up in discussions and contributed to the general pool of knowledge (remind me that I need to do that as well!

Alright, I'll remember that and be sure to do my research. :lol:

Quote:Alright, I'll remember that and be sure to do my research. :lol:

*G* The gods will smile upon you and all who do their homework! Big Grin