RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Info on Swords Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Can anyone give me any details on the attached please ?? ...perloined from Legion Six Smile



http://www.legionsix.org/lorica.jpg
What sort of info do you need, just types of blade or more?
I think there are a semispatha, a III century pugio and a Mainz blade. I think the picture is from one Museum of Scotland.
Quote:What sort of info do you need, just types of blade or more?

Anything really.

Length of blades ... where are originals now .. any better pictures.
I'd agree with Cesar on the types of blade, (though I wouldn't have known the semispatha myself) i've had a look for some pictures but I couldn't find any, though there could be some as I haven't looked extensively.
Funny thing. I just looked at Goldsworthy's Complete Roman Army today.
Those patterns look to match a sketch in there. If these pieces are indeed a match to that, then the middle is a "Mainz" pattern gladius , the one on the right would be "Pompei" type pattern, and the left a Spatha.

Just my uneducated guess. The image and caption can be found on p.133
Salve,

These are from the Axel Guttman collection, Favius Crispus and I took the photos. I will try to get some more info from the catalogues when I get back from work this evening.

Vale,

Celer.
Quote:Funny thing. I just looked at Goldsworthy's Complete Roman Army today.
Those patterns look to match a sketch in there. If these pieces are indeed a match to that, then the middle is a "Mainz" pattern gladius , the one on the right would be "Pompei" type pattern, and the left a Spatha.

Just my uneducated guess. The image and caption can be found on p.133


Hm, is the left one even long enough to be a spatha?
Seems to be little difference in length between that one and the Pompei gladius.
I have to agree with Cesar..

Left = Mainz pattern
centre = Third Century Pugio (Like the Kunzing types)
Right = Semispatha.
These blades are published in:

Christie`s Auction Catalogue 28 April 2004,
The Axel Guttmann Collection of Ancient Arms and Armour, Part 2,
p. 122 lot 130 (with pictures of the left and middle blade)

Quote: "...a Roman iron Mainz-type sword with brass tang button and collar, early/mid - 1st Century A.D.; a Roman iron military pugio blade with central rib, 3rd Century A.D., 22in. (56 cm) long max.
...and a modern resin tanged blade"

The left blade looks like a transitional type to the Pompeii-pattern to me.
I agree that the middle one is a pugio blade of the 3rd Century.
I don`t know if the posted right blade is the same Christie`s described as being a resin (reconstruction?) blade (based on which original?).
Or did they mean only the tang is restored in resin? :?

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann
You would not you make a resin blade that was not based on an original ... would you :? I hope not as it's a nice looking blade.
Quote:Salve,

These are from the Axel Guttman collection, Favius Crispus and I took the photos. I will try to get some more info from the catalogues when I get back from work this evening.

Vale,

Celer.

Any joy Tongue