RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Fig. 1b. Iron helmet from Kessel/Lith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Link to helmet image

Scroll down please.

What is the horn like thing next to helmet 1b?
Maybe a part of the browguard?
It's a copper alloy horn. Not from the same helmet, but from the same find site.

I will post the archaeological drawing and description later this evening for you. :wink:
It looks like the horns shown on helmets in some depictions of Celt/Gauls.
That's exactly what it is Conal! the Kessel and Lith (river deposit) votive sites have given us a huge amount of iron age and Roman military finds. Spears, La Tène swords, shield components, pugio frogs, balteus components, beautiful Germanic belt plates/hooks, a gladius chape, and these helmet parts.

The description from "Ethnic Identity and Imperial Power - Batavians in the Early Roman Empire" by Nico Roymans (Amsterdam University Press 2004) states..

Item 36. Iron helmet - Port type.

Moulded eyes and eyebrows on the front. Rivet holes for attaching cheek pieces, and also on the front and top of the helmet. Height 11.2cm Late la Tène. Found in the early 1900's in the dredge pit at Kessel. Stolzenbach collection".

Item 37. Bronze horn-shaped tube with terminal knob, probably a helmet fitting. Length 12.5cm. Late la Tène. Found in the early 1900's in the dredge pit at Kessel. Stolzenbach collection".

As I said earlier though it isn't from this particular helmet.

Here's the drawing..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... 307570.jpg
Thanks for that.

I am amazed as I did not believe that there were any such horns :?

I had them down as renderings of feathers !!
Like the one on the coin of Caesars!
All that is missing is a wheel Sad
It may have looked something like this when attached to a helmet...

[Image: hornedhelmet2-1.jpg]