RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Up coming "How to\'s"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wanted to let you know of the up coming "how to's" for our new section here.

In the up coming week we will have a look at Pilum wrapping, Legio uniforms and the making of Caliga. So check back soon!
Salve Decimus

Thank you very much for your help to beginners, I'm one of them and this is a great and easiest way to start in this world.

I have decided to do the most simple parts of the suit, like tunica, and others on my own.

I have a friend who will help me to do any leather part, but I need all tools to work with wood to do a good scutum, or metal if I go further.

my question is, what should I need for this? what tools are needed in a basic whorkshop for this?

Thank you very much
Welcome to the forum Javier!


I would say to start off by finding a craft / item that you want to learn how to make, then pick up the tools for that project, then once you are up and running move onto another project an buy tools for that one. This way you are building up your tools / building your shop bit by bit. This is how I am adding to my shop.

Any Idea as to what you want to start with?
I think I'd like to start doing my own scutum. I have seen some topics about it on the forum, and I think I could do it. I would like to be ready for this summer (I will have a lot of free time) and it would be a good moment to do it.

I think I should need a electric saw, winchs, a good work desk, and other typical like hammer. I have most of these things at home and I think can get easily those that I don`t have. What will I need to start to work doing a scutum? and about the process, should I follow the instructions of the online handbook for legionaries? all advices are welcome! Big Grin

I also know a shop where umbos and iron nails are sold

Anyway I have time enough till summer to gather all things I need to start working Big Grin
Although not new to RAT or Roman history, I am a budding reenactor and your timing could not be any better Brian! Thank you very much and I will be checking in regularly with questions as time goes on.

As with Javier, I'm interested in the tools required. I'd like to learn how to do my own leatherwork. Do you have any suggestions for the appropriate tools, being completely new to the craft. And what kinds of spare parts and extras work getting for reenacting in general? i.e. Is it easy to end up with too many segmentata fittings and never enough caligae hobnails? So we don't end up spending money on parts we don't need.
Quote: think I'd like to start doing my own scutum. I have seen some topics about it on the forum, and I think I could do it. I would like to be ready for this summer (I will have a lot of free time) and it would be a good moment to do it.

I think I should need a electric saw, winchs, a good work desk, and other typical like hammer. I have most of these things at home and I think can get easily those that I don`t have. What will I need to start to work doing a scutum? and about the process, should I follow the instructions of the online handbook for legionaries? all advices are welcome!

I also know a shop where umbos and iron nails are sold

Anyway I have time enough till summer to gather all things I need to start working

Hi Javier,

I am just on the final stages of completing my scutum, as well as the excellent info on this forum I found Matt Amt's LEG XX site to be one of my most useful tools!

Good luck with the project.
Javier,

I would say the best place you could start is in the forums here: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewforum.php?f=20 I myself have not made a period Scutum as of yet. Another guy you could talk to would be would be Hibernicus : http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/profile.ph ... file&u=400 He is working on a very period reconstruction of Scutums and has alot of knowledge on this subject. I hope this helps.
Paullus,

As far as leather tools go. I have found you can never have too many lol. However a good start up kit would be like this one. http://www.geocities.com/legio_tricesim ... rtools.jpg This is a kit that on RAT member has for making Caliga. He has a leather punch, cutting board, Bee's wax for waxing thread, heavy duty leather needles and a good leather glue. I like to use sinew for thread but that's me. He also has Awls, pencils and razor / hobby knives. Then of course leather. If you have never worked with leather before get some cheaper stuff to play with first, then the nicer stuff. Leather is pretty forgiving for the most part.

One tip I can say is to make sure you have a very sharp knife and punch when working with leather. If you don't you will end up with a real hard time and sloppy edges. I would say for a Caliga project you will probley go through 3 hobby knife blades.

Another tip: When sewing leather before you punch hole or use an awl to push hole, lightly mist the area you are going to work on with warm water from a spray bottle. Just until the leather gets a little darker. This will make the work a bit easier as well as keep the leather from tearing(if your using thin stuff) as easy. Remember to wax, wax and re-wax that thread while you are sewing it will make life alot easier for you.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I have worked with leather a good bit and can at least get you through the basics.
Here's another great link as far as leatherworking goes:

Matt Amt's Leatherworking Page


That ought to help you a great deal. It has tips, tools, sewing, and care. I'm sure if you're new to leatherworking, it will help you a great deal. =)


Best of luck
Oh, and good news, Javier; I just found this, if you're interested in doing the complete "make-it-yourself" experience =)


Build Your Own Umbo


All the best of luck, Javier. Big Grin


And, for added humor, check this out :wink:

Leather Tips
Thank you very much!

This will help me a lot, and I have get some ideas to do it.

About the instruction about doing my own umbo, still don't know what to do.. I think I'll try to do it and if I can't or it takes me too much time I will finally buy it. Thank you for your help Brandon! :wink:

I have seen your scutum, it's really a great work Barry!
Thanks Brian! Fortunately I live in cowboy-ish country, so finding leather tools shouldn't be too hard Big Grin
Quote:Oh, and good news, Javier; I just found this, if you're interested in doing the complete "make-it-yourself" experience =)


Build Your Own Umbo

Great - just the kind of info I have been looking for. Thanks Brandon.
Quote:I have seen your scutum, it's really a great work Barry!

Thanks Javier, but it is mostly down to the excellent tips on this site that I have managed to get this far.
Hi Paul,

Quote:I'd like to learn how to do my own leatherwork. Do you have any suggestions for the appropriate tools, being completely new to the craft. And what kinds of spare parts and extras work getting for reenacting in general? i.e. Is it easy to end up with too many segmentata fittings and never enough caligae hobnails? So we don't end up spending money on parts we don't need.

If you are thinking about making your own caligae, maybe this thread will help.
Pages: 1 2