RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Roman grill rust
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/griller.jpg

my friend Edgar of leg xiii in vienna saw this rust on mauterner roemerfest. does one of you have approaches indicated over this piece? :?: does someone know the original from you and where was it found? :?: is there mass? :?:
I saw that already times somewhere :roll:
cannot remind me however unfortunately any longer of it Sad cry:

thanks you in advance for the assistance
The original is from Pompeii.

Deepeeka make one, but for some reason it does not have the solid floor for the charcoal. :?

http://deepeeka.com/store/comersus_view ... oduct=5296

These can go with it..
http://deepeeka.com/store/comersus_view ... oduct=5425
[url:8hnqe8sn]http://www.armae.com/antiquite/1152fourneau.htm[/url]
thank you for the fast answer Big Grin wink: this find was published somewhere and if where :?: or someone has pictures of the original :?: is located in a museum :?:
Quote:but for some reason it does not have the solid floor for the charcoal

Well, less metal would save freight, but, OK, I'll ask the dumb question.

How can one be expected actually to cook on the DPKA brazier, with nowhere to put the fire?
Quote:
Quote:but for some reason it does not have the solid floor for the charcoal

Well, less metal would save freight, but, OK, I'll ask the dumb question.

How can one be expected actually to cook on the DPKA brazier, with nowhere to put the fire?

I don't suppose you could use the ground ???

I sure hope George Foreman doesn't hear about this. I can almost see the
commercials now...... :roll:
Well, sure, you could, but the cookpots would be held around a foot up from the fire, so you'd need a big fire...not always the best choice for cooking, and using charcoal would be impossible. Not enough heat to reach that far away.

Generally speaking, when I cook over a fire, I like to use small, finger sized sticks under the pot or pan, because it's easier to regulate the heat, and well developed red coals for roasting. The small sticks allow you to put a little more fire right where you want it, without using a ton of wood.

Softer woods work better for a quick flame (boiling), harder woods for slow, steady heat (roasting or grilling). Most of the charcoal lump I've bought is from oak, mesquite, or other unknown hardwoods. Pine, fir or similar just doesn't last long enough to make sense of going to all the trouble of making charcoal.
Anyone know of a U.S. vendor that's carrying these?
I have a pattern for a small, folding portable brazier that I used when open fires were not allowed. Small metal rods formed the Grill and an area to place your charcoal. The ash just sifted itself out the bottom. I am sure its probably not authentic or PC, but it beats a cold camp, it cools off fast and folds to about 1"x6"x6"....I have a photocopy tracing of the pattern if anyone wants one. I will see if I can scan it and post it as well.

Wes
Here're a few pics of our first one. We have 5 of them now.

All have long legs so we can use them in California Parks.. need a 12" clearance.

We have 2 on the workbench with short legs like the original so we can use them on raised food prep tables.... less bending!
Quote:Anyone know of a U.S. vendor that's carrying these?

www.soulofthewarrior.com
Quote:this find was published somewhere and if where or someone has pictures of the original is located in a museum

nobody knows anythink about the original and the masses :?:
Quote:thank you for the fast answer Big Grin wink: this find was published somewhere and if where :?: or someone has pictures of the original :?: is located in a museum :?:
Thanks to a helpful hand from this forum, I've just seen it listed on a U.S. vendor. The item description claims that it is a replica of one found in Pompeii. Of course, that's just a sellers proclaimation to convince us to buy, but it might give you a lead on where to search for the original?
Quote:nobody knows anythink about the original and the masses

Here is the only picture of the original I could find of the 'Craticula'

It is not a photo but a drawing of the Pompeii find with description and Naples museum item number which may help.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... ticula.jpg
Quote:Here is the only picture of the original I could find of the 'Craticula'

thank you very much Adrian, Big Grin D D
this picture is very helpfull for me
Pages: 1 2