RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Furniture from Herculaneum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anybody read the book ‘Wooden Furniture in Herculaneum’ by Stephan Mols :?:
It looks very promising! 8)

Aitor
It's out of print as far as I can tell, and the cost on Amazon is $130 US.
OK, but is it worth the money? 8)

Aitor
Quote:Has anybody read the book ‘Wooden Furniture in Herculaneum’ by Stephan Mols :?:
It looks very promising! 8)

Aitor

Hi Aitor,

I have had it in my hands, maybe about 2 years ago (the State Library here in Munich has it). I didn't actually read it front to back, but remember well that it is cetainly a good source for reconstructions and such, dealing not only with wooden furniture in itself but also with a number of other materials, e.g. bone hinges used for cupboard doors.
130 USD - if you want to build a number of furniture pieces, yes, certainly, otherwise I don't think I'd pay it.
Stephan works at Nijmegen uni. Want me to ask him something or make some copies?
Many thanks for the information, Martin! Big Grin I think that it will be an interesting purchase!

Many thanks to you, too, Jasper! Big Grin //www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/20558/OnlyResult/Yes:lqf8o9vb]Oxbow[/url] is offering it at low price and, if my order arrives in time for getting one I shan't need to pester you! :wink:

Aitor
Quote:Stephan works at Nijmegen uni. Want me to ask him something or make some copies?

That's good to know. I might eventually get back to youabout that, Jasper, if I may. Though thinking about all the things I would like to make/build, it'll probably be years ... Sad
20 pounds/$38 is not too bad. Since I do the caupona this might be worthwhile, but Oxbow US (David Brown) doesn't stock it.
I'll tell you if I get an answer from them on Monday. Fingers crossed in the meanwhile... :roll:

Aitor