RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Hesychius' Legion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to find the reference pertaining to Hesychius giving the size of a legion at 6666 men. Also is there an English translation of Hesychius? So far my search has been fruitless. Can anyone help?
It's in the Lexicon of Hesychius of Alexandria. I have only been able to find it in Greek here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=57VA...&q&f=false

You have to scroll down to Page 20, where it is the fourth word down (No. 493).

I hope this helps.
Thank you Michael. I owe you a “neutral” reputation. As the term “tertium” can mean “third thing”, I guess the reference would be Hesychius of Alexandria: Lexicon; Volume 3 493.
I guess that would be right. It's certainly Vol. 3.
Added to Hesychius legion of 6,666 men, we also have Eucherius, Bishop of Lyons: 6,600 men, 6,585 men, 6,666 men, and 6,660 men.

Seems they are telling us something.
(06-11-2016, 09:32 AM)Steven James Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the reference would be Hesychius of Alexandria: Lexicon; Volume 3 493.

For Hesychius' Lexicon, it is usual to quote the letter followed by the entry-number and the edition used. In this case, Lambda 493 Schmidt.
(06-11-2016, 12:52 PM)D B Campbell Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2016, 09:32 AM)Steven James Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the reference would be Hesychius of Alexandria: Lexicon; Volume 3 493.

For Hesychius' Lexicon, it is usual to quote the letter followed by the entry-number and the edition used. In this case, Lambda 493 Schmidt.

Many thanks for that.