RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Who is this emperor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the Museum of Arts in Budapest
[attachment=5291]soldier_emperor_sIII_artmushu.jpg[/attachment]
is this bust of a third-century military emperor. No identification is mentioned. Does anyone have any idea?
That looks like Philip the Arab (r. 244-249).
I think I would say it may well be Maximinus Thrax 235-238 AD he was the biggest man ever to hold the office of Roman Emperor the Historia Augusta tells us he was 8 feet 6 inches ( 2-6 m )
Perhaps it's Gordian II, although the nose and furrowed brow does make him look a bit like the busts of Maximinus Thrax.
Are we even sure it's an emperor? Surprisingly, there were a few busts made of private individuals!

If it was, I'd guess perhaps Volusianus...

[Image: CaePicVolusianus.jpg]
Quote:Are we even sure it's an emperor? Surprisingly, there were a few busts made of private individuals!
Indeed! Why an emperor?
Quote:Perhaps it's Gordian II, although the nose and furrowed brow does make him look a bit like the busts of Maximinus Thrax.

Agree with this and would lean towards the latter, although it's a softer image of Thrax than other busts I've seen.

Take on board the point people are making regarding is it even an Emperor. If it's not the likeness to several is quite striking.