RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Leeuwen Pugio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have any information on the dimension of the Leeuwen pugio.....size of the the blade, scabbard etc?

Thank you
Paolo.

If you Google The Leeuwen Pugio you will find some very good pictures of it by Bladesmith's Forum.com
The scabbard is (in its fragmented state) 19,8 cm long according to:
J. Obmann, Studien zu römischen Dolchscheiden des 1. Jahrhunderts n. Chr. (Rahden/Westf. 2000)

Regards
Thank you Andreas for the information.
I forgot to mention....from pictures of the original that I have seen, it appears that the scabbard is complete.
"Leeuwen" is a Dutch placename. Is it the place where this dagger was found? (I was born there.)
Quote:"Leeuwen" is a Dutch placename. Is it the place where this dagger was found? (I was born there.)

Yes it is.
Nice!
[Image: post-26987-130011760374.jpg]
And the official museum record of the piece, with high-res pics of the original.
http://www.rmo.nl/collectie/zoeken?object=e+1931%2f2.21
Thanks again Jurjen!
Hello Jurjen,

Thank you very much for the information. I take it that the 35cm for the length included the hilt plus the scabbard?
Quote:Hello Jurjen,

Thank you very much for the information. I take it that the 35cm for the length included the hilt plus the scabbard?

Yes, I think so too. Furthermore the original references are mentioned, so you can see if you can get hold of these.
As I figured out now, that there are at least three daggers/scabbards from Leeuwen, the scabbard length I give in my first post, is not from the piece Doc meant. For this the length of the scabbard is given with 25 cm, so 35 cm must be the overall length.

Regards
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the reply.