RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: How did legionaries get paid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How did Roman legionaries (and auxiliaries) get paid. We know up until the time of Domitian they were paid 300 Denarii, but how was the coinage distributed? weekly? monthly? Could soldiers opt to postpone payment for a few months and get a larger sum all at once.

Also, we know that soldiers weren't supposed to marry, but we know that they probably did, or at the very least had affairs with locals. Could the money be sent to them directly? Or to their families back at home? Thanks
To be honest, all I know is that they had to serve for 20 or 25 years, could keep any "loot" during that time, capture slaves to sell back at home, and at the end were entitled to many acres of land in a suitable area...not Italy...but other nice places like the always busy battle fields of Pannonia! I actually think this was widely used throughout time, but I have no knowledge of people being paid annually. I'm sure they did...they would need money when not fighting for long periods of time...It would probably be minimal.
Coming to think of it...I think they were paid yearly. This might not be a great source, but in the TV series "Rome" Lucius was offered 30,000 sescercia ( spelling)a year as pay... along with the retirement benefits...anyone else any ideas??!
Sorry Matt, that's all I know, and you probably already knew that!
Sam Big Grin
Prior to Domitian's increase to 300 denarii per year (basic pay) they were paid three times per year. Domitian added a fourth payment (making four, instead of three instalments of 75 denarii). Deductions were made from this to pay for equipment, retirement savings and burial club contributions.

Soldiers could choose to have their pay in cash or to have all or part of it banked in the unit strongbox. They could put money into savings and could take all or part of it out again at any time apparently. Also some soldiers took out loans against future pay, which would result in deductions to pay back any loans which had been taken out. A number of documents survive which detail transactions of this sort, including the items used as security for loans. There must have been some record of each soldier's 'bank account', probably held by the signifer.
It is highly likely that much of their money was paid in sesterti rather than denarii as sesterti (each worth a quarter of a denarius) were more easily used.

When talking of pay it is also worth remembering that there was a pay scale in place. Some soldiers, such a tesserarii and cornucines were paid one and a half times basic pay (sesisquiplicarii), while optiones and signiferi, along with cavalry sub-officers, were paid twice the basic rate (dupicarii).

There were three points on the pay scale for centuriones (although confusingly there were at least eleven different grades of centurio). The basic pay of a centurio was fifteen times the basic pay of a soldier. The next step on the centurial pay scale was thirty times the basic solder's pay, and the top step on the centurial scale, paid only to the Primus Pilus, was sixty times the basic soldier's rate.

I hope this helps.

Crispvs
Just imagine the incentive to win a battle and make sure the camp wasn't overrun.
Just imagine the incentive to keep the Signiferii and Aquilifer alive, as, they have the keys to the strongboxes! Big Grin

I'm sure the soldiers who were Clerks, although not 'loved' by the soldiers (really, who likes [doing] paperwork?! I'm glad we have what survived, though, don't get me wrong! Big Grin); were probably well protected, well fed, and not made angry Big Grin