RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: More Spanish Late Roman stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A query- at the 410 AD conference at the British Museum, I recall one lecturer saying that the grave of a monkey dressed in late Roman military kit (regimental mascot/ pet?) had been found at Llava (place name may be mispellt). I can't find any references to it- or was I dreaming? :roll:
Quote:found at Llava (place name may be mispellt)

Perhaps Aballava (Burgh-by-Sands) at Hadrian's Wall?

Greets - Uwe
Quote:
Quote:found at Llava (place name may be mispellt)
Perhaps Aballava (Burgh-by-Sands) at Hadrian's Wall?
As in:
Wall Monkey - Scottish person
Roman Wall Monkey - Pictish person? :wink:
Pity Hartlepool wasn't around at the time - far more appropriate place for the monkey :lol:
Quote:A query- at the 410 AD conference at the British Museum, I recall one lecturer saying that the grave of a monkey dressed in late Roman military kit (regimental mascot/ pet?) had been found at Llava (place name may be mispellt). I can't find any references to it- or was I dreaming? :roll:

Edward the Gibbon?
This was brought up at the Late Antiquity Conference in 2007 which concentrated on warfare. Comitatus were the lead sponsors. I think from memory the find was in Spain.
Quote:Pity Hartlepool wasn't around at the time - far more appropriate place for the monkey :lol:
Chances are...it was!,assuming our "supposed" signal station existed and,yes,the tower would have been a fine place from which to hang primates (and any other homonids :twisted: :lol: ).