RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: CIL 11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Anonymous

This is very much an off chance, but does anyone out there have access to the complete Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum? I very much need the full text of CIL XI, 705. It is not included in the Heidelburg or F.A.G. online databanks. I will be unable to the set I use at Harvard for over a month.<br>
<br>
Any help would be very much appreciated.<br>
<br>
Best,<br>
John Hartwell <p></p><i></i>

Salve,<br>
<br>
The text of <i> CIL</i> XI, 705 (regio VIII, Bononia):<br>
<br>
D M<br>
AUR.GALLI.TRIB<br>
LEG.VII.CL.QUI.IN<br>
BELLO.THRACICO<br>
ACIE.DESIDERATUS<br>
FUIT.VIXIT.AN.XL.<br>
AUR.AMMA.CONIU<br>
GI.KARISSIMO.CUM<br>
GALLITA.FILIA.ET.LAE<br>
TA.SOCERA.NATIONIS<br>
UTRIUSQUE.DARDANIAE<br>
TITULUM.POSUERUNT<br>
<br>
D(is) M(anibus) | Aur(elio) Galli(o) trib(uno) | leg(ionis) VII Cl(audia) qui in bello Thracico | acie desideratus | fuit vixit an(nos) XL | Aur(elia) Amma con | iugi karissiomo cum | Gallita filia et Lae | ta socera nationis | utriusque Dardaniae | titulum posuerunt<br>
<br>
'To the spirits of the departed. To Aurelius Gallius, tribune of <i> legio</i> VII <i> Claudia</i> who has been lost in the battleline in the thracian war. He has lived 40 years. Aurelia Amma with Gallita their daugther and Laeta, mother-in-law, of both the Dardanian nations have erected this memorial to her dearest husband.'<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
E EM I just knew Sander would come through!<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>

Anonymous

If anyone had it I thought it would be you, Sander. Many thanks. I'm working on a history of Legio VII Claudia just now, & had seen several references to this inscription, but none with a transcription. I suspect it refers to early fighting between forces of Septimus Severus and Pescennius Niger west of Byzantium.<br>
<br>
Best,<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>