RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: "Marcus Aurelius" by Frank McLynn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just finished "Marcus Aurelius. Warrior, Philosopher, Emperor" by Frank McLynn, first major biography of this enigmatic emperor since Anthony Birley:

Hardcover: 704 pages
Publisher: The Bodley Head Ltd (5 Mar 2009)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0224072927
ISBN-13: 978-0224072922
Product Dimensions: 23.6 x

I must say that it was a very good read, one of those books you hope will never end :wink: ! Some controversial theories, yes, but the author`s knowledge especially on stoicism and the philosophical currents of the age of Marcus Aurelius is immense, in fact this is a book about Marcus "the philosopher" first of all. The author takes in my opinion a very balanced view and avoids the temptation of writing a "hagiography" about him. In short it is a book about Marcus Aurelius "the human", warts and all. Well, maybe a bit too sympathetic a view for some but anyway...

It can be a bit heavy going sometimes when diving in the undercurrents of the intellectual thought of the second century (gnosticism etc.) but VERY rewarding to read. Anyway this is a good read in my opinion, laudes to Frank :wink: !
I have it , but haven't gotten started on it yet.
A few other books on the go :roll: