RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Roman genealogy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently making a family-tree of the Julian-Claudian dynasty with over 100 names, so there's a lot of lines that go to other families. This tree is almost complete, but I haven't figured out whether Lucius Aemilius Lepidus Paullus, the brother of Marcus Lepidus (the triumvir), had two sons, one, who fathered Claudia Pulchra (later wife of Varus) and the other one, who was the father of Lucius Aemilius Paullus (consul in 1 AD) and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus (consul in 6 AD) or if this person was actually just one individual (there is some confusing information about this family).
Quote:... I haven't figured out whether Lucius Aemilius Lepidus Paullus, the brother of Marcus Lepidus (the triumvir), had two sons, one, who fathered Claudia Pulchra (later wife of Varus) and the other one, who was the father of Lucius Aemilius Paullus (consul in 1 AD) and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus (consul in 6 AD) ...
One son, Paullus Aemilius Lepidus, father of the consuls of AD 1 and AD 6 -- according to Sir Ronald Syme (whom we disregard at our peril :wink: ).
another question: is Claudia Pulchra, Varus' wife, a daughter of him and Claudia Marcella Minor or of this woman and Marcus Valerius Messalla Messallinus?
Quote:another question: is Claudia Pulchra, Varus' wife, a daughter of him and Claudia Marcella Minor or of this woman and Marcus Valerius Messalla Messallinus?
You've picked a thorny area! I may be wrong, but I'm not sure that these are the only two options.

I was under the impression that Claudia Pulchra belonged to the Appii Claudii. Her father (P. Claudius Pulcher?) must have married Claudia Marcella after the death of her previous husband, Paullus Aemilius Lepidus (13 BC?). (Where does M. Valerius Messalla figure in this?)
And what about Scribonia, Agustus' wife and mother of his daughter Iulia the elder? Some claim she was a daughter of Cornelia Sulla and therefore a descendant of Pompeius Magnus and Sulla, but others say her mother is unrelated to them and had the name Sentia.
Wow -- I'm starting to tread water here! Smile
Quote:And what about Scribonia, Augustus' wife ..., but others say her mother is unrelated to them and had the name Sentia.
I was just flicking through Ronald Syme's Roman Papers (as you do on a lazy afternoon ..!) and I found a "Stemma of the Sentii Saturnini".

Syme reckons that Scribonia was the daughter of L. Scribonius Libo and Sentia, who was the daughter of C. Sentius and sister of Cn. Sentius Saturninus. (Sentia is called "mother of Caesar's Scribonia" on an inscription.)

If this is correct, our Scribonia (who married Octavian "Caesar") was the aunt of the Scribonia who married Sextus Pompey.

(Syme wrote this is 1964. I don't know if it's still the current wisdom.)
Okay, finally here are four family trees I made - it starts with the Julo-Claudian dynasty:
The Flavian dynasty:
The Nervan-Antonian dynasty:
And the Severan dynasty:
Very nice! This takes a lot of work, doesn't it?

Regarding the Four Good Emperors, do you have Birley's biography of Marcus Aurelius? There are some very detailed family trees in his appendix, complete with long notes about what we know and where we can find information.
No, I didn't read that book. I bought Michael Grant's collection of imperial biographies many years ago, so that was my starting point. Maybe I'll make an update, where you can click on the names in the pdf-file and a biography about them is opened in a new window.
Nice work!

Quote:And the Severan dynasty:
Isn't Caracalla's brother named Geta and not Gera?
Ah, damn there always has to be a mistake - corrected version:
Pages: 1 2