RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: Battle of Zama
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My friend's son is resarching the Battle of Zama. Any suggestions on good sources for him to reference?
The original sources are:-

Polybius XV.9-14; and Livy XXX.32-35

The best modern source is J.F. Lazenby "Hannibal's War" pp220-226 published by Aris & Phillips Ltd 1978 ISBN 0 85668 080 X

I have also written an in-depth analysis of the battle which I can send, if you P.M. me with an e-mail address.........
Pulled a few of the shelf Big Grin
The Punic Wars; Nigel Bagnall.
A History of the Roman Republic; Cyril E Robinson.
A History of the Roman world 753-146 BC; H H Scullard.
Hannibal Vol 1&2; Theodore Ayrault Dodge.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Although a bit outdated I would also recommend B.H. Liddell Hart's Scipio Africanus: Greater than Napoleon. It was my first intro to the Punic Wars and still have in my shelf.
Thanks to all for your responses. One of the best things about RAT is that no matter what aspect of Roman history you're researching there are always members who can lead you in the right direction. I have encouraged my friend's son to join us so he can learn and contribute. Special thanks to you Paullus Scipio for the copy of your article. Although the Pre-Imperial Period is not my usual area of interest, your article managed to both entertain me and relieve me of some of my ignorance. Doing either is hard enough.
Regards,
Randi R.
Glad to have been of service to a frater!....and I hope this leads to an awakening interest in one of the "best" periods of Roman history !! Smile D
Quote:Glad to have been of service to a frater!....and I hope this leads to an awakening interest in one of the "best" periods of Roman history !! Smile D

It is rather interesting......
Pen & Sword have just published Hannibal's Last Battle: Zama and the Fall of Carthage by Brian Todd Carey which gives a good overview of all the Punic wars and so really puts the battle into context. Plenty of nice maps and diagrams.

Phil Sidnell