Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:The thing is that there are all sorts of differently shaped and sized pectorals been found, and different parts from different segs were thrown together to make a single seg, so I personally doubt there was a strict 'design' in mind so long as the wearer was protected to a great degree. IIRC, I've even heard of two completely different halves being put together (or that's what the evidence seems to tell us), and if they had differently shaped pectorals then it's difficult to imagine a clear design being strictly adhered to. I tried a Deepeeka half and an Albion half together (the straps go opposite to each other so it was only to see what the visual effect was) and it's not as ridiculous as you might think.

Yes Tarbicvs, but one of the "constants" with the Corbridge hoard "junk" was the relationship between the width of the breastplates and backplates. This is seemingly being ignored to acheive a "better fit" based upon what various people's perceptions of that phrase are. If you also look at the photo posted by Hibernicus the relationship between the length of the breast plate and USG plates has also been ignored (they should be the same length near as damn it if you look at the Corbridge Hoard Excavation Report). If they were the "correct" length then the breastplates would not need to be anywhere near as wide as they have been made. I am all for interpretation of the available evidence but when you seemingly completely ignore it what is the point?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by sulla felix - 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,552 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,334 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,829 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs