Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm
Quote:Unless somebody posts otherwise I'll take your word for it. But the brow band surely is iron sheathed in embossed foil, correct?

I believe there are two types of construction for these helmets. The bowl could be made from iron segments that are roughly triangular in shape (the long edges are a bit curved). The spangen don't reach to the bottom of the bowl. On this open iron band the brass embossed browband is rivetted.

Another construction method is that the iron segments do not form the complete bowl. They only tough on the long edges and the bottom edge doesn't form the rim of the helmet. They follow about the same curve of the spangen at the bottom. With this method I think an iron browband is indeed covered by a brass embossed band.

It's very dificult to explain.

Here you can see a photo of my helmet from quite some time ago, sorry about the bad quality...: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/M ... s/helm.jpg

It's made using the first method I described. We had to file, sand and polish it by hand as an exercise... Also note that some of the spangen are still held by screws instead of rivets.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Messages In This Thread
Re: Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm - by Marcus Mummius - 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
spangenhelmet - by garrelt - 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Marcus Mummius - 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Robert Vermaat - 05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Re: - by sidney - 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Re: Re: - by Medicus matt - 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm Marcus Mummius 0 886 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius