Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funerary Stele from Nikaia in Turkey
I found this very interesting funerary stele from Nikaia in "Katalog der antiken Inschriften des Museums von Iznik (Nikaia)." Roman stelai really aren't my thing (I'm more of a Hellenistic dude), but this one caught my eye, mainly because it appears to show a helmet with a face mask. I'm unsure if this is a cavalry sports helmet, but it looks very similar to other examples that I've seen in the past.

www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/images/4scythica.jpg

Unfortunately, despite the German title, the text is in Turkish. If anyone can read Turkish, here's the translation of the inscription:

Quote:Ben Aurelius Antipatros, 4. Legio Scythica eri, pek sevgili ebeveynim Marcus ve Prima anisina bu steli yaptirdim.

Aurelia Sa[
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
There's a reference to Aurelius Antipatros in J.C.N. Coulston, "Later Roman armour, 3rd-6th centuries A.D." JRMES Volume 1 (1990), pp. 139-60, but we don't have it in the library here.

Anyway, what I can make out, is:
"I, Aurelios Antipatros, stratiotes of Leg. IV Scythica, set up this stela to the memory of my very dear parents Marcus and Prima. Aurelia Sa..."

Is the Greek transcribed in the Katalog?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:There's a reference to Aurelius Antipatros in J.C.N. Coulston, "Later Roman armour, 3rd-6th centuries A.D." JRMES Volume 1 (1990), pp. 139-60, but we don't have it in the library here.

Anyway, what I can make out, is:
"I, Aurelios Antipatros, stratiotes of Leg. IV Scythica, set up this stela to the memory of my very dear parents Marcus and Prima. Aurelia Sa..."

Is the Greek transcribed in the Katalog?

Frustratingly, no, otherwise I would have translated and posted it. For a volume about Greek epigraphy, it has very few actual Greek inscriptions.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It occurs to me-- would you mind if we added this to the imagebase here?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Go right ahead- it's just too bad that I couldn't find a better quality image.

Do you need the bibliographical information for this book?
Ruben

Quote:There's a reference to Aurelius Antipatros in J.C.N. Coulston, "Later Roman armour, 3rd-6th centuries A.D." JRMES Volume 1 (1990), pp. 139-60, but we don't have it in the library here.

He references this stone (from this same publication as is being discussed here) on p. 142 because of the apparently face-masked helmet and the little lorica shown.
L. M. Anderson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute">www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute